CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:33 AM   #1
Steve Sheffar

Profile:
It is true that I am a new crossfitter, having only completed 8 WOD's. My observation is this:
I am a member of the military and as such there are certain demands on my body that I must endure on a daily basis. Running, jumping, climbing, falling, getting up and running some more...etc. You get the idea. Well a lot of police and military swear by CrossFit. It helps them better perform in their job. I did Cindy last night and got 15 Rnds + 2 pull ups in 20 mins. I am sore today. Very sore. (Good kind) So I am at work and there I am jumping falling etc.... If I have stiff legs and sore lats how is my performance positively affected?

(This is to be more of a vent on my slack performance today at work then a negative attack at CrossFit. I enjoy the competitve nature of trying to beat my times and the idea that I am getting fitter then I thought I was. I will be back for more PROMISE.)

Thanks for listening
Old 01-19-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
Joe Marsh

Profile:
First off, Steve, if this is your first date with Cindy 15 rounds is F'ing awesome, IMO. I think I got 11 or 12 on my first date. Maybe less, but, then again, I am not military or LEO.

Secondly, if you're finding that the soreness is interfering a little too much will your daily duties, maybe you should ease back a bit. Remember, this is all scalable. Even you post slower times or less rounds, you're still getting a huge neurological response. This will help your body become accustomed to the increased output you are placing on it.

Lastly, look at what other factors might be coming into play here. Primarily, look at nutrition and rest. How well are you eating? Are you eating enough quality food to allow your body the nutrients it needs for proper recovery? Are you getting enough sleep at night? Is it quality sleep? I have no idea where you are stationed, so I can't begin to guess what other factors might be present.

Happy to hear you like the falvor of the kool-aid!!
Old 01-19-2007, 12:24 PM   #3
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
When you crank out 20+ rounds and don't feel a thing the next day ... that's when you know your performance has been affected in a positive manner. And yes, you'll get there if you stick with it!

Good luck!
Old 01-19-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
Ditto. Be sure to identify your priorities. I'm military as well and sometimes working out has to take a back seat because my job demands that I be at my mental and physical best (and going all out on a WoD won't let me do that).
Old 01-20-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
David Chow

Profile:
Crossfit works because isn't every day life like that...running, jumping, climbing, carrying and running somemore? Keep up the great work!
Old 01-21-2007, 04:19 AM   #6
Michael Manseau

Profile:
Steve; are you going whole hog or scaling? Are you doing regular PT with the troops then Xfit? Perhaps your overtraining? More info please...
Old 01-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #7
Travis Loest

Profile:
Steve,
I'm about to feel your pain. We just got back from Iraq, and just got off of leave. We will be starting the "daily grind" on monday at 0630. It will be interesting to see how I can balance CrossFit with PT at work. Betcha' CrossFit starts leaking into daily PT!!
Old 01-24-2007, 12:18 PM   #8
Steve Sheffar

Profile:
Doing Pt with the guys at work and WOD's on my own.

I just got back from a winter EX. Snowshoes, toboggans and heavy ruck sacks. I had a lot of energy relative to the others who were on the ex. I think it has more then a bit to do with the Crossfit and Zone. After a particulally difficult hill climb with the toboggan I had enough energy to go back to the bottom (sans Ruck) and assist the other sections with their hill climb. After I was very sweaty but my level of energy was incredible. I felt like I could do anything. (adrenaline?) It was great.

I think that while the demands of work are very, well, demanding, Crossfit has a place with me. This week was the first time that I was physically tested since starting crossfit. It seems to be doing the trick. I still get sore the next day but once the excitment starts I seem to forget about the aches and pains.

I will have to just be careful about training with the unit and my own stuff.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:59 AM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
From the police side of the house, I don't think you want to be cranking out multiple reps of Cindy the day before a major operation. That said, many times you don't know something major is going to happen. This training will make you more able to do your job, in the long run. You already know this. That soreness will fade as you continue to do CF. Make sure your food intake matches your multiple workouts.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:51 PM   #10
Jake Nichols

Profile:
My partner and I do the WOD right before going to briefing we often have trouble walking up the stairs to get out of the station. Even though we are in pain we have more confidence in each other because we know what has been endured and the toughness it takes to complete these WODs.}}