CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-10-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
Chris Buonamia

Profile:
Hey all,

I've been doing CrossFit for six weeks and am loving it. Even better, my wife joined up about a month ago and she loves it, too. However, she's in a tough situation diet-wise because she suffers from Crohn's disease. For those who don't know, the short version is that it's a chronic and sometimes random inflammation of the small bowel, aggravated by consuming too much fat (sometimes, any at all). Thus, she can only eat a very limited selection of foods, especially at work when she's very cautious about bringing on a flare-up.

Here is a rundown of her basic daily intake. Please have a look and, if you have any advice, please let us know. She's really bummed that she's not losing much body fat, not just from starting CrossFit but just from her low caloric intake in general. Please keep in mind that she's not trying to follow the Zone.

Thanks in advance! Your help is appreciated.

Daily Eats (pretty standard for every day)

Breakfast:
-1 cup Kashi cereal
-3/4 cup skim milk
-1 cup real orange juice

Lunch/Snack (throughout day)
-1/2 cucumber
-1/2 red pepper
-1 measured serving wheat pretzels
-piece of fruit (banana or pear)
-1/4 cup almonds (about 24)
-1 Kashi granola bar

Dinner/Snack:
-pre dinner handful raisins/peanuts
-4 blocks protein
-4 blocks carbohydrate
-1 block fat
-1/2 cup nonfat yogurt with 1/2 frozen cherries

I don't think she's eating enough (especially protein) to support WOD plus moderate cardio. That's why I'm interested in y'alls thoughts. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #2
Christina Von Rassler

Profile:
Hi Chris,

I too have been doing CF for about 10 weeks. I was very active prior to adding CF to my workout. I have not lost any weight either since doing these workouts. I love them too!! Some at the CF facility I go to say I've probably gained muscle. I haven't done a bodyfat test in about 6 weeks so I don't know. I can say that my upper body is getting really cut. My abs are changing and I'm much stronger. Tell your wife to stick to it. I'm going to add more CF to my current schedule and see if I lose any weight ( I'm currently 114 and like being 108-110 , also only 5'2"). Looking at your wife's diet, my first thought too is that she needs more protein. I would drop the granola bar and pretzels at lunch and add protein. Also, it looks like she is getting her biggest meal at dinner instead of spreading it out. I try to follow the zone diet basics. I have a hard time living without chocolate. In the past I have given up sugar and had a healthy carb ( a type of woman's bread / steal cut oatmeal) only twice a day with my proten and salad or vegetable, and I lost a lot of weight. It was hard to stay off the sugar forever, because once I let it in, hard to quit again. With the Crohn's condition, maybe she should try eating coconut oil for her healthy fat. She might want to check the internet on that, I've read it helps with many conditions. Hope she sees some results. I understand it can be frustrating to work hard and not lose weight. She also might want to measure herself every few weeks.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Chris,
With patients willing to eat correctly, I find issues such as Crohn's easy to deal with. Seriously.

Your wife's diet (90% of it), her nearly guaranteed gluten intolerance, coupled with potential heavy metal toxicity, is the culprit(s).

Feel free to contact my office, the number is at my website.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:21 PM   #4
Kim Dowse

Profile:
Chris - I am by no means an "expert", but I totally agree with Dr G. and cutting out the gluten. I've had intestinal problems for years...diagnosed as IBS. Five weeks ago I cut out all gluten from my diet (Ezekiel bread, zone and balance bars…which I ate a ton of, whole wheat crackers, Guinness (ouch...that one hurt), store bought dressings/sauces), went Paleo and started IF’ing (15/9) to gauge the effects on my body. Prior to this, I was already eating 85% organic foods and no dairy. For the past five weeks I have felt fantastic (no gas/bloating, more energy, feel lighter, etc.). My exercise performance has increased...recent PRs in deadlift, push press and squat. I even lost 4 pounds (currently at 125lbs, 5'5"). If your wife wants any specifics she can e-mail me, I'd be glad to share!
Old 05-12-2007, 07:54 AM   #5
Josh Reynolds

Profile:
I can testify to Dr. G and Kim's advice. She must cut out the gluten and cutting dairy would help too. I suffered from unhappy bowels and horrendous gas for years and had no idea why. I went paleo because of the crossfitters have had such success and I have experienced bowel bliss and a complete lack of gas. I know that if I can find some relief from bowel/intestinal chaos that your wife should find some peace from cutting out the gluten and dairy. I hope your wife can find a way of eating that doesn't eat her body but nourishes it. Best of luck.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:37 PM   #6
Chris Buonamia

Profile:
Thanks for the input, everyone. Julie and I appreciate it.

Weight isn't so much the issue as is losing body fat, although she hasn't been able to do much after-WOD cardio/intervals. Being strict about that will definitely help.

Spreading out meals is tough because she's a (non-evil) lawyer and in court almost every day, all day--no eating allowed, unfortunately. Plus, with the Crohn's, she's worried about possible flare-ups during court.

Garrett, thanks for your message. I'll be emailing you directly with further questions. I hope you can make some sense out of this. The Crohn's is the number-one issue keeping Julie from replacing processed carbohydrates with lower GI. She's just so reluctant to mess with what's working, as I'm sure you've seen in patients before.

Thanks again everyone. This is such a great community. I wish the climbing boards were so supportive!