CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-13-2007, 03:08 PM   #1
Mike Riess

Profile:
Post-WOD Workouts?

I was just curious if people do more exercises/lifting after the WOD. I heard that it's good to work on exercises that use muscles unrelated to the WOD (when possible...) but does that mean form, or actually doing the exercises themselves? I'm just looking for any suggestions/opinions about doing more after finishing the WOD. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
John Seiler

Profile:
Re: Post-WOD Workouts?

Hi Mike,

There are some folks who are adding in a little extra work. Be very careful with this as many of the workouts we do are quite stressful neurologically. Even small amounts of extra work lead to overtraining very quickly; particularly if diet and sleep aren't tightly dialed in. If you are new to CrossFit, I would strongly suggest doing only the WOD for about three months. That will give you some time to see how your body adapts and if you need to tweak things.

If you find you need to do extra work, it should be before the WOD, not after. This is strictly pragmatic. If you have the energy to do extra work after the WOD, you didn't work hard enough.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

If you have enough knowledge to program 2 full workouts in a day, it's usually a strength/power one before a metcon/endurance one.

Skill work can easily be done multiple times a day as well as GTG exercises.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Concur with above, take it WOD only for awhile if you're beginning, then play around (under the grounds of having thought out your play) and see what works and doesn't work for you given allotted recovery time, sleep, diet, etc...For instance two workouts on Tuesday is a lot different for me than two workouts on Friday, since Friday isn't followed by Wednesday, but by football/beer Saturdays
Old 09-13-2007, 04:53 PM   #5
Mike Riess

Profile:

Thanks...that sounds like a good plan. I always think i'll have the juice to do more after i'm done, but i just finished a modded heavy fran with barely enough energy to walk home...
Old 09-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Mike, exactly.

In all reality you will have a pretty good idea yourself if you're pushing it towards overtraining. Sort of related... I think there are a couple of snags that keep guys like me (at a more intermediate CF level), from being at a more advanced CF level. Diet and Recovery dominate the difference in my opinion...understanding intensity level (being able to get in that mind state where pain is secondary) I think is a distant third honestly.

Have fun with your workouts, and if you're amped to do/try something after the WOD, you probably won't be able to stop yourself if you're like me. But remember if you do overtrain you sacrifice gains for that extra fun.

Ensure your diet is dialed in and it will help push your personal point of overtraining further down the road. Gaining knowledge about recovery (not just sleeping enough, but stretching, massage, hot/cold showers etc) will gain you even more "play" opportunity.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Heh, I should say gaining knowledge about diet and recovery is easy...the hard part is turning that into action.

I think dialing in your diet and recovery is harder than say completing Linda followed by JT. D&R take constant dedication, not just 20-60mins.