CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 10-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
Matt Rexin

Profile:
Ufc 121 picks

Since the thread about Brock's next fight turned into a Fedor thread (and subsequently closed down), I suppose this thread could be about the actual next opponent Brock will face.

Lesnar vs. Velasquez- Lesnar via TKO
Lesnar just keeps on improving, this will be a close fight

Shields vs. Kampmann- Shields via sub
Kampmann is getting close to the upper tier of the division, but Shields takes this one

Hammill vs. Ortiz- Hammill via TKO
Tito will come up with another excuse

Sanchez vs. Thiago- Thiago via UD
Sanchez is overated, Thiago needs this win after the last loss.

Gonzaga vs. Schlaub-Schlaub
Close to call, but Schlaub would be a good pick to upset.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
Eric A. Brown

Profile:
Re: Ufc 121 picks

Lesnar vs. Velasquez- Lesnar via decision.
Agree that Lesnar keeps improving, but I think Velasquez is skilled enough to defend for five rounds.

Kampmann is getting close to the upper tier of the division, but Shields takes this one - agree.

Tito will come up with another excuse - agree.

Sanchez is overated, Thiago needs this win after the last loss. - agree

Gonzaga vs. Schlaub-Gonzaga via TKO.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Rexin View Post
Since the thread about Brock's next fight turned into a Fedor thread (and subsequently closed down), I suppose this thread could be about the actual next opponent Brock will face.

Lesnar vs. Velasquez- Lesnar via TKO
Lesnar just keeps on improving, this will be a close fight

Kampmann is getting close to the upper tier of the division, but Shields takes this one

Tito will come up with another excuse

Sanchez is overated, Thiago needs this win after the last loss.

Gonzaga vs. Schlaub-Schlaub
Close to call, but Schlaub would be a good pick to upset.
Agree with everything here except Shields, look for the decision.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:04 AM   #4
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Brock Vs Cain-
I would like to see cain win, but the longer the fight goes the more it favors Brock

Shields vs. Kampmann- Kampmann TKO
I think kampmann has good enough take down defense and much better striking, and I really just dont like shields.

Hammill vs. Ortiz- Who cares?

Sanchez vs. Thiago- Sanchez via hustle and YES cartwheels.

Gonzaga vs. Schlaub-Schlaub- Gonzaga, TKO

The barn burner is going to be Lawlor Vs Cote- That could go either way. Cote has the crisper striking but lawlor is super aggresive and goes for it. Should be fun.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
Michael DeLuca

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Crawford View Post
Brock Vs Cain-
I would like to see cain win, but the longer the fight goes the more it favors Brock

Shields vs. Kampmann- Kampmann TKO
I think kampmann has good enough take down defense and much better striking, and I really just dont like shields.

Hammill vs. Ortiz- Who cares?

Sanchez vs. Thiago- Sanchez via hustle and YES cartwheels.

Gonzaga vs. Schlaub-Schlaub- Gonzaga, TKO

The barn burner is going to be Lawlor Vs Cote- That could go either way. Cote has the crisper striking but lawlor is super aggresive and goes for it. Should be fun.
I actually think the longer Lesnar - Cain goes, the more it favors Cain. Having said that, if Lesnar doesn't rip his limbs off like a silverback in the first two rounds, I'd be surprised.

Shields vs Kampmann is a typical striker was ground fighter fight. Whoever imposes their will and makes the other fight their fight will win. My guess is Shields submits Kampmann middle of round 2, rear naked choke.

I care about Hammill vs Ortiz because Matt is a super nice guy. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the NE Regionals 2 years ago. I think this is a tough fight for him as he won't be able to resort to his wrestling instincts against Tito. In a stand up fight I like Tito, and if Tito puts Matt on his back, like Jon Jones did, Matt won't last long. I say Tito by TKO R3.

I think Thiago is due for a big win and Sanchez is a ripe opponent. Thiago R1 choke.

Schaub is facing a huge step up in competition. I don't like the Greg Jackson camp, so I think a well rounded Gonzaga will batter Schaub early and he'll fold to a referee TKO stoppage towards the end of R2.

As for Cote and Lawlor, this is a strange fight because I'm a huge Lawlor fan but he is facing the most talented striker he's ever faced after coming off two losses. Tom has the wrestling edge, but Cote is experienced enough to not get into that type of game with him. I think Tom presses early in both rounds, and then gases yet again, to a stoppage in R3.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
Celio Silva

Profile:

Haven't been here in quite a while, figured this thread would be up, so I wanted to hook yall up with the right picks

Cain by KO/TKO

Shields by TKO (GNP), possibly a RNC

Hammill by Decision

Thiago by Decision (should be a very close fight)

Gonzaga by whatever he wants

Fight of the Night: Stout vs Taylor, together the recipients of 8 FOTN awards.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
James Besenyei

Profile:

All the experts are picking against Brock again.....so I'll say he wins, again. Brock, TKO in the 2nd round.

Shields, 2nd round sub.

Hammill, TKO 3rd round.

Thiago, unanimous decision.

Gonzaga, 3rd round sub.

Everyone is talking about Cain's cardio, but, cardio does you no good when you can't move. If Brock takes Cain to the ground, I'm not sure Cain can move as easily as everyone assumes he will. Against Nog? Sure. Rothwell? Definitely. Kongo? Hell yes.

But, Brock will absolutely smother him on the ground. If the fight stays standing (Cain's best chance) Cain has to get inside, do damage, and move out, really, really quickly. He must keep Brock off balance the entire fight and wait for that perfect moment. If he hesitates, or thinks he can stick around for a few extra shots, Brock will put his *** on the ground. There is no way around it. Cain has to fight perfectly. Brock just has to avoid the big shot or a flurry--a concern whether one is fighting in the UFC or the street, and something that can happen in almost any MMA bout.

Additionally, I think that Shane Carwin hits harder than any heavyweight, and Brock withstood that drubbing. Can Cain do what Shane couldn't with volume rather than power? Maybe. But, unlikely.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Everyone is talking about Cain's cardio, but, cardio does you no good when you can't move
Cain's cardio is like Brandon Vera, highly overrated.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #9
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
Cain's cardio is like Brandon Vera, highly overrated.
LOL

Everyone is talking about how even though Cain is smaller, he will be faster and more agile, as if Brock is a big lumbering oaf.... Brock is IMHO the fastest, most explosive Heavy weight fighter in the history of the UFC or MMA. That is on top of being a mountain of a man.

It will take a hell of a lot more than "cardio" and "agility" to beat Lesner and since Carwin couldn't do it, I don't see Cain dong it either.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:19 AM   #10
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
LOL

Everyone is talking about how even though Cain is smaller, he will be faster and more agile, as if Brock is a big lumbering oaf.... Brock is IMHO the fastest, most explosive Heavy weight fighter in the history of the UFC or MMA. That is on top of being a mountain of a man.

It will take a hell of a lot more than "cardio" and "agility" to beat Lesner and since Carwin couldn't do it, I don't see Cain dong it either.
Exactly. I'll still give Cain credit, the man is an excellent fighter. But, the "Cardio" argument is a joke for someone who, like Brock has only been 3 rounds once.