CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
Matt Rexin
Member Matt Rexin is offline
 
Matt Rexin's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Victoria  BC
Posts: 275
Ufc 121 picks

Since the thread about Brock's next fight turned into a Fedor thread (and subsequently closed down), I suppose this thread could be about the actual next opponent Brock will face.

Lesnar vs. Velasquez- Lesnar via TKO
Lesnar just keeps on improving, this will be a close fight

Shields vs. Kampmann- Shields via sub
Kampmann is getting close to the upper tier of the division, but Shields takes this one

Hammill vs. Ortiz- Hammill via TKO
Tito will come up with another excuse

Sanchez vs. Thiago- Thiago via UD
Sanchez is overated, Thiago needs this win after the last loss.

Gonzaga vs. Schlaub-Schlaub
Close to call, but Schlaub would be a good pick to upset.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
Eric A. Brown
Member Eric A. Brown is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York  NY
Posts: 226
Re: Ufc 121 picks

Lesnar vs. Velasquez- Lesnar via decision.
Agree that Lesnar keeps improving, but I think Velasquez is skilled enough to defend for five rounds.

Shields vs. Kampmann- Shields via sub
Kampmann is getting close to the upper tier of the division, but Shields takes this one - agree.

Hammill vs. Ortiz- Hammill via TKO
Tito will come up with another excuse - agree.

Sanchez vs. Thiago- Thiago via UD
Sanchez is overated, Thiago needs this win after the last loss. - agree

Gonzaga vs. Schlaub-Gonzaga via TKO.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
Doug Blankenship
Member Doug Blankenship is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas  NV
Posts: 1,306
Re: Ufc 121 picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Rexin View Post
Since the thread about Brock's next fight turned into a Fedor thread (and subsequently closed down), I suppose this thread could be about the actual next opponent Brock will face.

Lesnar vs. Velasquez- Lesnar via TKO
Lesnar just keeps on improving, this will be a close fight

Shields vs. Kampmann- Shields via sub
Kampmann is getting close to the upper tier of the division, but Shields takes this one

Hammill vs. Ortiz- Hammill via TKO
Tito will come up with another excuse

Sanchez vs. Thiago- Thiago via UD
Sanchez is overated, Thiago needs this win after the last loss.

Gonzaga vs. Schlaub-Schlaub
Close to call, but Schlaub would be a good pick to upset.
Agree with everything here except Shields, look for the decision.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:04 AM   #4
Jeffrey Crawford
Member Jeffrey Crawford is offline
 
Jeffrey Crawford's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne  FL
Posts: 685
Re: Ufc 121 picks

Brock Vs Cain-
I would like to see cain win, but the longer the fight goes the more it favors Brock

Shields vs. Kampmann- Kampmann TKO
I think kampmann has good enough take down defense and much better striking, and I really just dont like shields.

Hammill vs. Ortiz- Who cares?

Sanchez vs. Thiago- Sanchez via hustle and YES cartwheels.

Gonzaga vs. Schlaub-Schlaub- Gonzaga, TKO

The barn burner is going to be Lawlor Vs Cote- That could go either way. Cote has the crisper striking but lawlor is super aggresive and goes for it. Should be fun.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
Michael DeLuca
Member Michael DeLuca is offline
 
Michael DeLuca's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mt. Ephraim  NJ
Posts: 428
Re: Ufc 121 picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Crawford View Post
Brock Vs Cain-
I would like to see cain win, but the longer the fight goes the more it favors Brock

Shields vs. Kampmann- Kampmann TKO
I think kampmann has good enough take down defense and much better striking, and I really just dont like shields.

Hammill vs. Ortiz- Who cares?

Sanchez vs. Thiago- Sanchez via hustle and YES cartwheels.

Gonzaga vs. Schlaub-Schlaub- Gonzaga, TKO

The barn burner is going to be Lawlor Vs Cote- That could go either way. Cote has the crisper striking but lawlor is super aggresive and goes for it. Should be fun.
I actually think the longer Lesnar - Cain goes, the more it favors Cain. Having said that, if Lesnar doesn't rip his limbs off like a silverback in the first two rounds, I'd be surprised.

Shields vs Kampmann is a typical striker was ground fighter fight. Whoever imposes their will and makes the other fight their fight will win. My guess is Shields submits Kampmann middle of round 2, rear naked choke.

I care about Hammill vs Ortiz because Matt is a super nice guy. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the NE Regionals 2 years ago. I think this is a tough fight for him as he won't be able to resort to his wrestling instincts against Tito. In a stand up fight I like Tito, and if Tito puts Matt on his back, like Jon Jones did, Matt won't last long. I say Tito by TKO R3.

I think Thiago is due for a big win and Sanchez is a ripe opponent. Thiago R1 choke.

Schaub is facing a huge step up in competition. I don't like the Greg Jackson camp, so I think a well rounded Gonzaga will batter Schaub early and he'll fold to a referee TKO stoppage towards the end of R2.

As for Cote and Lawlor, this is a strange fight because I'm a huge Lawlor fan but he is facing the most talented striker he's ever faced after coming off two losses. Tom has the wrestling edge, but Cote is experienced enough to not get into that type of game with him. I think Tom presses early in both rounds, and then gases yet again, to a stoppage in R3.
__________________
Crossfit Level 1 || 30/6'/192 | CrossFit Tribe || Support Steve's Club - Steve's Original | w/f/s
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
Celio Silva
Member Celio Silva is offline
 
Celio Silva's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Folsom  CA
Posts: 627
Re: Ufc 121 picks

Haven't been here in quite a while, figured this thread would be up, so I wanted to hook yall up with the right picks

Cain by KO/TKO

Shields by TKO (GNP), possibly a RNC

Hammill by Decision

Thiago by Decision (should be a very close fight)

Gonzaga by whatever he wants


Fight of the Night: Stout vs Taylor, together the recipients of 8 FOTN awards.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
James Besenyei
Member James Besenyei is offline
 
James Besenyei's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cleveland  Ohio
Posts: 588
Re: Ufc 121 picks

All the experts are picking against Brock again.....so I'll say he wins, again. Brock, TKO in the 2nd round.

Shields, 2nd round sub.

Hammill, TKO 3rd round.

Thiago, unanimous decision.

Gonzaga, 3rd round sub.

Everyone is talking about Cain's cardio, but, cardio does you no good when you can't move. If Brock takes Cain to the ground, I'm not sure Cain can move as easily as everyone assumes he will. Against Nog? Sure. Rothwell? Definitely. Kongo? Hell yes.

But, Brock will absolutely smother him on the ground. If the fight stays standing (Cain's best chance) Cain has to get inside, do damage, and move out, really, really quickly. He must keep Brock off balance the entire fight and wait for that perfect moment. If he hesitates, or thinks he can stick around for a few extra shots, Brock will put his *** on the ground. There is no way around it. Cain has to fight perfectly. Brock just has to avoid the big shot or a flurry--a concern whether one is fighting in the UFC or the street, and something that can happen in almost any MMA bout.

Additionally, I think that Shane Carwin hits harder than any heavyweight, and Brock withstood that drubbing. Can Cain do what Shane couldn't with volume rather than power? Maybe. But, unlikely.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
Doug Blankenship
Member Doug Blankenship is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas  NV
Posts: 1,306
Re: Ufc 121 picks

Quote:
Everyone is talking about Cain's cardio, but, cardio does you no good when you can't move
Cain's cardio is like Brandon Vera, highly overrated.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #9
Robert Callahan
Member Robert Callahan is offline
 
Robert Callahan's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zzyzx  CA
Posts: 1,626
Re: Ufc 121 picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
Cain's cardio is like Brandon Vera, highly overrated.
LOL

Everyone is talking about how even though Cain is smaller, he will be faster and more agile, as if Brock is a big lumbering oaf.... Brock is IMHO the fastest, most explosive Heavy weight fighter in the history of the UFC or MMA. That is on top of being a mountain of a man.

It will take a hell of a lot more than "cardio" and "agility" to beat Lesner and since Carwin couldn't do it, I don't see Cain dong it either.
__________________
"I swear by my life and by my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine"
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:19 AM   #10
Doug Blankenship
Member Doug Blankenship is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas  NV
Posts: 1,306
Re: Ufc 121 picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
LOL

Everyone is talking about how even though Cain is smaller, he will be faster and more agile, as if Brock is a big lumbering oaf.... Brock is IMHO the fastest, most explosive Heavy weight fighter in the history of the UFC or MMA. That is on top of being a mountain of a man.

It will take a hell of a lot more than "cardio" and "agility" to beat Lesner and since Carwin couldn't do it, I don't see Cain dong it either.
Exactly. I'll still give Cain credit, the man is an excellent fighter. But, the "Cardio" argument is a joke for someone who, like Brock has only been 3 rounds once.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UFC 119 Picks James Besenyei CrossPit 5 10-03-2010 08:08 AM
UFC 103 Picks Celio Silva CrossPit 25 09-19-2009 12:48 PM
UFC 84 picks Celio Silva CrossPit 16 05-27-2008 12:07 PM
New $121.98 Squat Stands Michael Leach Equipment 23 04-22-2008 01:56 PM
UFC 73 PICKS Mike McCloud CrossPit 18 07-11-2007 07:57 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.