CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2011, 04:57 AM   #31
Steve Liberati
Affiliate Steve Liberati is offline
 
Steve Liberati's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pennsauken  NJ
Posts: 1,649
Re: Gym Jones article in NY Times

Pearse,

Your right when you say CrossFit does not deserve due credit for everything related to interval style training.

However, the fact remains that Mark Twight copied the entire CrossFit manual, started his own thing and refuses to acknowledge CrossFit's influence on his training practice.

Not until this happens to you, does most people find it bothersome.
 
Old 09-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #32
Wayne Riddle
Member Wayne Riddle is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lewiston  ME
Posts: 1,779
Re: Gym Jones article in NY Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
However, the fact remains that Mark Twight copied the entire CrossFit manual, started his own thing and refuses to acknowledge CrossFit's influence on his training practice.
What proof do you have that he copied said manual and what exactly is in the manual?
 
Old 09-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #33
Lewis Dunn
Member Lewis Dunn is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vancouver  WA
Posts: 258
Re: Gym Jones article in NY Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
Gym Jones ....They claim they are original...

I love how Melissa and Dallas of Whole 9 strongly support Gym Jones and posts on FB about how great their gym is. But then again W9 seems to have an affinity for knock-off, copycat companies who claim to be original when they know they are clearly not.
Steve, where exactly does GJ claim to be "original?" And why bring Whole9 into a discussion of Gym Jones? You've clearly got a chip on your shoulder about them that just makes you sound like a bitter whiner.
 
Old 09-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #34
Ryan Dell Whitley
Member Ryan Dell Whitley is offline
 
Ryan Dell Whitley's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Clarksville  TN
Posts: 117
Re: Gym Jones article in NY Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
However, the fact remains that Mark Twight copied the entire CrossFit manual, started his own thing and refuses to acknowledge CrossFit's influence on his training practice.
This manual is a myth. But you know what isn't a myth? The 10 Essential Elements of Fitness that are the foundation for CrossFit programming were first described by Jim Cawley at Dynamax. So...who stole what from who?
 
Old 09-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #35
Alex Carey
Member Alex Carey is offline
 
Alex Carey's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ottawa  ON Canada
Posts: 125
Re: Gym Jones article in NY Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Dell Whitley View Post
This manual is a myth. But you know what isn't a myth? The 10 Essential Elements of Fitness that are the foundation for CrossFit programming were first described by Jim Cawley at Dynamax. So...who stole what from who?
I'm not on the GJ bashing side at all, but Glassman gives credit to Dynamax for the "10".

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And donít bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: 'Itís not where you take things from - itís where you take them to.'"

- Jim Jarmusch
 
Old 09-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #36
Steve Liberati
Affiliate Steve Liberati is offline
 
Steve Liberati's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pennsauken  NJ
Posts: 1,649
Re: Gym Jones article in NY Times

At risk of getting flamed, I'm stepping out of this conversation.

I honestly do not have the inclination or time to go back and forth on this subject that I quite frankly do not care enough about.

While Gym Jones does not get my respect, I wish them luck doing their own thing. I'm sure they are getting a lot of people fit and stronger, so kudos to them.
 
Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #37
Bob Cieszkowski
Member Bob Cieszkowski is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Langhorne  PA
Posts: 78
Re: Gym Jones article in NY Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Dell Whitley View Post
This manual is a myth.
The manual in question was Twight's. Some of the included content was lifted directly from CF and then sold under Twight's copyright.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/Cros...ark-Twight.pdf (WFS)

Comment #85 here: http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/002121.html (WFS)
 
Old 09-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #38
James Orr
Member James Orr is offline
 
James Orr's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fresno  CA
Posts: 583
Re: Gym Jones article in NY Times

Wow. Thanks, Bob! New light.
 
Old 09-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #39
Doug Blankenship
Member Doug Blankenship is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas  NV
Posts: 1,306
Re: Gym Jones article in NY Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
Crossfit boxes cost ridiculous amounts per month... But for many people it is worth it, because you do get coached.
Oh I know that. Poor wording on my part. I meant CF.com could charge $50.00 a month just for people to see their workouts, type on the fourm and people would gladly pay the $50.00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh W Smith View Post
I dont know any site that charges a monthly fee anywhere near $50 per month. But, I guess if you have the extra cash why not. I just couldn't imagine paying that myself.
Pleanty of websites do. Eric provided a small amount of the more notorious ones.


It's amazing how so many people on this fourm are so sure of things that happened between Twight and Glassman. Yet, these same people defending both sides weren't even involved with CF when Twight and Glassman had their issues.
 
Old 09-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #40
William Hunter
Member William Hunter is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rome  GA
Posts: 967
Re: Gym Jones article in NY Times

Good point Doug.

I was involved with CF when Twight and Glassman had their issues and I'm not sure what exactly happened.
 
 


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WSJ-Gym Jones Article Michael Schaefer Stuff and Nonsense 1 05-12-2009 11:38 AM
Where is Gym Jones L.A. Marlon Thompson Community 1 06-20-2006 03:36 PM
Philosphy: Gym Jones article: Discuss Tirzah Harper Community 36 01-26-2006 12:27 PM
Gym Jones George Shelton Community 3 12-09-2005 06:33 PM
Marion Jones Article Brian Hand Community 0 05-21-2004 06:01 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.