CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 09-14-2011, 04:57 AM   #31
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Re: Gym Jones article in NY Times

Pearse,

Your right when you say CrossFit does not deserve due credit for everything related to interval style training.

However, the fact remains that Mark Twight copied the entire CrossFit manual, started his own thing and refuses to acknowledge CrossFit's influence on his training practice.

Not until this happens to you, does most people find it bothersome.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #32
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
However, the fact remains that Mark Twight copied the entire CrossFit manual, started his own thing and refuses to acknowledge CrossFit's influence on his training practice.
What proof do you have that he copied said manual and what exactly is in the manual?

Old 09-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #33
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
Gym Jones ....They claim they are original...

I love how Melissa and Dallas of Whole 9 strongly support Gym Jones and posts on FB about how great their gym is. But then again W9 seems to have an affinity for knock-off, copycat companies who claim to be original when they know they are clearly not.
Steve, where exactly does GJ claim to be "original?" And why bring Whole9 into a discussion of Gym Jones? You've clearly got a chip on your shoulder about them that just makes you sound like a bitter whiner.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #34
Ryan Dell Whitley

Profile:

Quote:
This manual is a myth. But you know what isn't a myth? The 10 Essential Elements of Fitness that are the foundation for CrossFit programming were first described by Jim Cawley at Dynamax. So...who stole what from who?

Old 09-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #35
Alex Carey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Dell Whitley View Post
This manual is a myth. But you know what isn't a myth? The 10 Essential Elements of Fitness that are the foundation for CrossFit programming were first described by Jim Cawley at Dynamax. So...who stole what from who?
I'm not on the GJ bashing side at all, but Glassman gives credit to Dynamax for the "10".

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And donít bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: 'Itís not where you take things from - itís where you take them to.'"

- Jim Jarmusch

Old 09-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #36
Steve Liberati

Profile:

At risk of getting flamed, I'm stepping out of this conversation.

I honestly do not have the inclination or time to go back and forth on this subject that I quite frankly do not care enough about.

While Gym Jones does not get my respect, I wish them luck doing their own thing. I'm sure they are getting a lot of people fit and stronger, so kudos to them.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #37
Bob Cieszkowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Dell Whitley View Post
This manual is a myth.
The manual in question was Twight's. Some of the included content was lifted directly from CF and then sold under Twight's copyright.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/Cros...ark-Twight.pdf (WFS)

Comment #85 here: http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/002121.html (WFS)

Old 09-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #38
James Orr

Profile:

Wow. Thanks, Bob! New light.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #39
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
Crossfit boxes cost ridiculous amounts per month... But for many people it is worth it, because you do get coached.
Oh I know that. Poor wording on my part. I meant CF.com could charge $50.00 a month just for people to see their workouts, type on the fourm and people would gladly pay the $50.00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh W Smith View Post
I dont know any site that charges a monthly fee anywhere near $50 per month. But, I guess if you have the extra cash why not. I just couldn't imagine paying that myself.
Pleanty of websites do. Eric provided a small amount of the more notorious ones.

It's amazing how so many people on this fourm are so sure of things that happened between Twight and Glassman. Yet, these same people defending both sides weren't even involved with CF when Twight and Glassman had their issues.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #40
William Hunter

Profile:

Good point Doug.

I was involved with CF when Twight and Glassman had their issues and I'm not sure what exactly happened.