CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #21
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: A question about the Paleo Diet

Re: the enzyme that breaks down lactose--if regular milk gives you digestive issues, try raw milk. It still has the good bacteria and other enzymes that break down the stuff that causes digestive problems in some people. Unfortunately it's expensive and kinda hard to find.

Is it Paleo? No, but it's far better for you than homogenized, pasteurized, mass-produced stuff.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #22
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Can we please let this go as an argument against milk drinking? Some people act like this alone is a self evident argument even though it has no real significance at all. We are the only species that cooks food, too, but few people think that this truth is good support for raw food diets.
Amen. If my cat could figure out how to milk humans he'd do it.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:32 AM   #23
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Can we please let this go as an argument against milk drinking? Some people act like this alone is a self evident argument even though it has no real significance at all. We are the only species that cooks food, too, but few people think that this truth is good support for raw food diets.
I totally agree it sounds pretty ridiculous on its own... I'd love to see a squirrel or something chasing after a cat to harvest its milk but you failed to note the second half (and emphasis) of the statement: that we aren't meant to drink other animals milk because milk is "specially formulated" for their body's needs not ours. If you are in a strength cycle and your primary goal really is to bulk up and grow like a baby cow, then by all means I can see a point in you choosing to drink a gallon of cow milk a day... but on the other hand the average person, in a society of people who are already oversized, it is most likely not in your best interests to be drinking milk on a daily or even weekly basis. To me there is enough evidence that supports the potential negative impact to your body dairy can have, even if you completely ignored this aspect, to have removed it from my diet since long before I ever heard of paleo.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:50 AM   #24
Andrew James

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Green View Post
Cambodian is the best, IMO
Agreed. I drink only the finest.

Seriously though, whether milk is okay for you is heavily dependent on genetics. Lactose tolerance is as high as 95% for people of Northern European origin, so for people of that particular heritage (which I am) it's a problem for very few individuals.

I don't know what your ethnic backrgound is, so I can't predict whether you might tolerate milk well or not, but this might be enlightening (WFS):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:La...toleranz-1.svg
Old 10-22-2010, 08:42 AM   #25
William Hunter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Brisson View Post
LOL!!!!!!

I switched from cows milk to almond and rice milks - better taste - no gas!!! Better for everyone! I guess rice mikl would be outside of paleo standards too....oops!
If we're getting all nitpicky here...again...I'll mention my dislike of the term Almond Milk/Rice Milk/Soy Milk etc. You must have mammary glands to produce milk. Never seen any nut, grain of rice or soybean that could fill out a bikini and produce milk.

Carry on.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #26
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
I totally agree it sounds pretty ridiculous on its own... I'd love to see a squirrel or something chasing after a cat to harvest its milk but you failed to note the second half (and emphasis) of the statement: that we aren't meant to drink other animals milk because milk is "specially formulated" for their body's needs not ours. If you are in a strength cycle and your primary goal really is to bulk up and grow like a baby cow, then by all means I can see a point in you choosing to drink a gallon of cow milk a day... but on the other hand the average person, in a society of people who are already oversized, it is most likely not in your best interests to be drinking milk on a daily or even weekly basis. To me there is enough evidence that supports the potential negative impact to your body dairy can have, even if you completely ignored this aspect, to have removed it from my diet since long before I ever heard of paleo.

Well, the fact that we evolved to be able to process lactose and the trait has been passed down through all these generations means that it was a beneficial adaptation. So then drinking cows milk IS beneficial. Humans didn't adapt to process lactose so they could drink Cambodian human breast milk. If it were so bad for you then it wouldn't have been such a successful adaptation.

Notice how many people on these boards who are paleo find they have a hard time meeting their caloric requirements without dairy...perhaps the two are related? hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Brisson View Post
I switched from cows milk to almond and rice milks - better taste - no gas!!! Better for everyone! I guess rice mikl would be outside of paleo standards too....oops!
Check the labels. Those aren't paleo for a number of reasons besides just the primary ingredient. Even V-8 isn't paleo.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 10-22-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #27
Marnee Dearman

Profile:

"the fact that we evolved to be able to process lactose and the trait has been passed down through all these generations means that it was a beneficial adaptation"

Oh yeah? Please explain the benefits of the extremely common trait of myopia in this framework. Is being half-blind beneficial now?

A common trait need not be beneficial.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #28
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnee Dearman View Post
"the fact that we evolved to be able to process lactose and the trait has been passed down through all these generations means that it was a beneficial adaptation"

Oh yeah? Please explain the benefits of the extremely common trait of myopia in this framework. Is being half-blind beneficial now?

A common trait need not be beneficial.
That is not entirely genetic. http://www.optometric.com/article.aspx?article=71464 (WFS)

And for 85-96% of white Americans and Europeans to have the trait seems to lend some credibility to the fact that it was beneficial - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance (wfs) Bad genes do sneak through but that's a huge percentage if milk is as destructive as some try and portray.

Dairy also helps prevent Gout - http://arthritis.about.com/gi/o.htm?...594461788.html (WFS)
...and kidney stones - http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/new/kidstone.htm (WFS)

Even some typically pro paleo folks waffle on dairy...
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dairy-intolerance/ (WFS)

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 10-22-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #29
Teemu Teekkari

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Re: the enzyme that breaks down lactose--if regular milk gives you digestive issues, try raw milk. It still has the good bacteria and other enzymes that break down the stuff that causes digestive problems in some people.
http://www.acsh.org/factsfears/newsI...ews_detail.asp WFS

"For example, some raw milk proponents say that since lactase (the enzyme that breaks down the milk sugar called lactose) is inactivated by heating, pasteurization contributes to lactose intolerance because heating would inactivate the enzyme. This statement is not true for a couple of reasons.

First, lactase is produced (in humans and other animals) by cells lining the small intestine it is not present in milk! The only dairy product in which one could reasonably expect to find lactase is yogurt. And even in that case, the bacteria that actually produce the lactase are added to milk after pasteurization, so they're not heated to high temperatures.

Second, even if there were lactase in milk, it wouldn't do us much good. That's because this enzyme works best in the small intestine, where it is formed. The highly acidic environment of the stomach would inactivate it. So even if we drank milk with active lactase in it, it's unlikely that much if any of it would survive the stomach acid and arrive in the small intestine in an active state."
Old 10-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #30
R B

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew James View Post
Agreed. I drink only the finest.

Seriously though, whether milk is okay for you is heavily dependent on genetics. Lactose tolerance is as high as 95% for people of Northern European origin, so for people of that particular heritage (which I am) it's a problem for very few individuals.

I don't know what your ethnic backrgound is, so I can't predict whether you might tolerate milk well or not, but this might be enlightening (WFS):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:La...toleranz-1.svg
Thanks, I'm Irish, but I really never had a problem digesting it.