CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Michael Kelley

Profile:
TRX Gear

I've been working with a professional on biomechanics, and have determined I have some real issues with shoulder mobility and strength through all the attachments through the scapula, pecs, lats, and traps, and I'm trap dominant in the shoulder. She suggested doing "I's, Y's, and T's" using TRX straps to strengthen all the attachments and improve the alignment through there. I'm interested in some more opinions about the TRX products. Thoughts?
Old 11-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
Jay Mulder

Profile:
Re: TRX Gear

Is there any difference between a TRX and gymnastics rings? From what I've seen they are just less versatile rings.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
John McDonough

Profile:

I have one and I like it. I do a fair bit of traveling and it is easy to carry around and set up. I got the Force version and found the program to be challenging. Some people think it is too expensive, and I see their point if you could make your own for much cheaper. However, I am not that handy and the TRX is pretty nice and does have some good programming. When you compare it to other gym devices (take any Nautilus type machine), its a bargain.

I do not think the TRX will take the place of rings, however rings can be a little bit harder to set up when you are traveling. I don't think rings are the best thing for shoulder rehab either. Rings would give you a more challenging workout once you are healthy.

The link below shows Drew Brees talking about how he used the TRX to rehab his shoulder. After this video was made, he became part owner of the company.

WFS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHUPppn9bNk

Also, TRX has something called a "RIP" trainer. I am not a fan. Someday it will hopefully RIP.

Good luck with the rehab!

John Mc
Old 11-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
Matt Thomas

Profile:

They're just different. There are things you can do on a TRX that you can't really do on rings and vice versa. However, for the exercises she wants you to do, they can all be done on rings for a fraction of the cost.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

For shoulder work and therapy a band setup will suffice. Most male gymnasts do quite a bit of this work as physical therapy.

Very portable and cheap. I used to have one that had a light, medium, and heavy band that could all be used at the same time if I cared to.