CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-10-2007, 05:44 AM   #1
Rod Gates

Profile:
I just finished reading The Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates and am really interested in adapting much of what she writes about. I seem to remember a post by Garrett awhile back that I can't find in my search. Basically, I remember him mentioning that he likes the diet for the most part. What I am wondering is...what aspects of it didn't he agree with and why? Garrett, if you are out there I would love your input, otherwise if anyone can remember or find his post please let me know. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2007, 06:11 PM   #2
Rod Gates

Profile:
Actually, a few more questions come to mind for anyone in the know...

Do you really need to buy starter cultures to make cultured veggies, kefir, and/or kombucha? It seems like a waste for the veggies but I am not sure about the others.

How important are the food combining rules overall?

What are the key points of this diet for success???

Thanks again!
Old 02-12-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
I havent read the book yet but not a big believer in the whole food combining rules....your body is so much smarter than you are...it will figure it out....but do get plenty of healthy bacteria in your diet....your gut will thank you.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Rod,

You don't need any starter culture for cultured veggies. For kombucha, just buy a bottle of GT's Synergy and divide it evenly into 4-6 16 oz tea/sugar solutions as a starter. Kefir made from raw milk needs no starter, only a sealed container and a dark 70 degree room. Kefir made from pasteurized milk needs some form of starter.

The main food combining rules I suggest are:
(yes, this goes against the Zone)
Don't combine large amounts of protein with large amounts of carbohydrate.
Basically, eat protein with non-starchy vegetables and some fat.
Fruit and nuts combine well.
As for starchy veggies and most fruit, I just plain don't think we need them for health (excessive exercising is a whole other situation). If you are going to eat starchy/sugary foods, eat them with some non-starchy vegetables.

I used to have a negative opinion of food combining, much like Mike did. It was not until I was a bit older (our digestion slowly weakens over time) and I did the basic rules above for a significant amount of time, that I noticed how ABSOLUTELY CRAPPY I feel after breaking these simple, basic rules. The body can "handle" an amazing range of things digestively--whether or not they are healthy in the long run is the question I ask--poorly digested food is not only detrimental to the body in toxic terms, it is wasted nutrition (unless you're composting your #2s). People who say they always feel fine no matter what they eat, are not in touch with their bodies, IMO. People who try what I suggest will gain some sensitivity through these *simple* guidelines. They will notice their sensitivity when they do cheat on the rules in a large way. I have witnessed it in too many of my patients to entertain those who wish to tell me differently (probably because they want to keep eating what they've been eating forever, thus staying "numb").

Where I deviate:
I don't do the BED grains (quinoa, millet, amaranth, buckwheat).
I don't do any dairy other than butter or ghee.
Basically, keep it nearly all Paleo.
I eat more protein than she suggests. However, I still do my best to keep it at 80% vegetables and 20% protein by volume per meal.
I only eat 3 times a day, maybe 3 plus 1 snack on my late days.

That's the main stuff. Basically, if you eat Paleo (with very little fruit, preferably the BED Stage One fruits--cranberry, black currant, lemon, lime), get your good protein and fats, and get 2-3 "exposures" per day to different probiotic sources (foods and/or pills), you'll be doing extremely well.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:56 PM   #5
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Garrett;

Great post.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Jay
Old 02-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
Rod Gates

Profile:
Garrett, thanks so much for your valuable insight! I am in the process of re-reading the book and then I will try to learn how to do my own culturing to minimize my cost of probiotics. Hopefully I will be able to start implementing the plan soon, and can then experiment and tweak it to meet my needs. Anyone else with positive results or suggestions, please share them!
Old 02-14-2007, 02:30 AM   #7
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
People who say they always feel fine no matter what they eat, are not in touch with their bodies, IMO. People who try what I suggest will gain some sensitivity through these *simple* guidelines. They will notice their sensitivity when they do cheat on the rules in a large way. I have witnessed it in too many of my patients to entertain those who wish to tell me differently (probably because they want to keep eating what they've been eating forever, thus staying "numb").

So they start feeling fine. They then go through sensitive training and come out of it feeling sick. Now they're stuck spending $891 a month at trader joes to feel normal again. Am I missing something?
Old 02-14-2007, 04:04 AM   #8
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
Sounds like hypercondria to me. Or they way I've seen some therapists and trainers work. Constantly treating their clients like their fragile and ill so that the "need" to continue treatment.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:58 AM   #9
Adam Levenson

Profile:
I disagree. Many people go Paleo or zone and feel horrible if they "cheat"

How would eatting this way be any different? I've personally found most food combining to be rather natural once you eat paleo. You do feel bloated and like crap if you cram down sweet potatoes with stake.

Fruit digests quicker and better when you eat it on an empty stomach, ect

Old 02-14-2007, 11:59 AM   #10
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Although I sometimes find Garret's recommendations hard to swallow it seems like jumping to conclusions and condemning someones shared clinical experience without providing more of a counterarguement would not be a good idea.