CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-27-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
Chris Hogg

Profile:
Recently when reading some articles on cbass.com I came across an article highlighting exciting new developments in the area of post exercise recovery pointing towards the importance of post exercise nutrition

http://www.cbass.com/Post_exerciseNut.htm

I was wondering if anyone has tried a product like Enduox or others and what their experience has been.

Cheers
Old 11-27-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Use the search function, there is allot of different info out there.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:14 PM   #3
Kim Dowse

Profile:
Chris - I've used Endurox for a few years. I take it after a REALLY hard workout. Two years ago I ran a marathon. I took endurox after my long runs. Also, after the race I drank three scoops...went to a B-52s concert that evening and danced all night. The next few days my legs were tired, but certainly no spent.

I've only been going crossfit for a few weeks. I joined the group WODs at the Las Vegas Crossfit. My body was soooo sore after the first two workouts. For whatever reason, I push myself harder with a trainer as opposed to training by myself. Anyway, now after the group workouts (2x per week) I take endurox. It has helped with my soreness.

There are alot of different products on the market. I tried the Clif version and the Hammer product. Endurox worked best for me. Good luck in your search.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:03 PM   #4
Vanessa Fullerton

Profile:
Chris,

I've been racing outrigger canoes for the past 3 years and I always use some type of recovery drink after races and practice. I've used both Endurox and Hammer's Recoverite. Endurox was the first recommendation I got from some teammates and I used it for the first 2 years with good results. This past year I switched to Hammer's Recoverite. I already had great success with their energy sustaining supplements and their Recoverite works great as well. Plus, Endurox is LOADED with sugar while Recoverite has virtually none (40g/2g per serving).
Old 12-01-2006, 07:16 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
The best post workout will be a combination of protein and carbs....vs carbs alone or protein alone. The Protein is shuttled into the muscle cells quicker to speed up muscle repair with the carbs acting as an insulin releaser, plus the carbs are being used to replenish muscle glycogen. You can do anything from Endurox...to Whey and gatorade...or the poor man's version skim chocolate milk (skim..no fat).
Old 12-01-2006, 11:44 AM   #6
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Just be aware that there is data out there that suggests post workout nutrition curtails growth hormone, and that the data suggesting PWO supp's is making somebody money. I would suggest doing reaserch there is allot of data on this forum you can access with the search function. I think some people wait .5-1hr post workout to refill glycogen . Many believe that it is never a good idea to spike your insulin. Anyway food for thought draw your own conclusions.

Family safe
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1 5866225&dopt=Abstract
Old 12-01-2006, 03:02 PM   #7
John D Wilson

Profile:
I'm not sufficiently informed to draw a reasonable conclusion.

It seems accepted that PWO supp's (carb & protein) do diminish growth hormone (in the blood) as well as GLUT4, HK II, and mRNA in the muscle.

What I'm not sure of is this a bad thing. Eventually we would want the growth hormone (and testosterone) to reach the cellular level where they do exactly what we worked out for - muscle recovery and growth. If a PWO speeds up the process, which of course "consumes" the blood growth hormone and testosterone, then it sounds good to me.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:30 PM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
This is from Dr Beradi who is supposed to be a leader in the area of nutrition, I am sure everyone has their own opinions, none the less...it's the other side of the coin.

"Q: According to several nutrition "experts," eating carbs after a workout will significantly reduce the growth hormone response to exercise, not to mention the other anabolic hormones. You recommend a carb and protein drink immediately after training, even when dieting. Won't that negate the GH response I've worked so hard to generate during my workout and negatively affect my fat loss?

A: This question brings up a couple of interesting points that need to be addressed once and (hopefully) for all.

First, I want to talk about the GH response to exercise - it's just not all that spectacular. While I think a healthy GH response after exercise is good, I don't think it will make or break your fat loss efforts. Check out this data...

* While the GH increase from training is pretty big in untrained subjects (10 fold increase), it's not quite as big in trained guys (4-5 fold increase) (1,2,3,4).
* Either way, the GH increase is very brief. It's at its peak immediately after exercise, is double about 15 minutes after exercise, and is back down to baseline at 30-60 minutes after exercise (2,3).
* The GH release you get during the first few hours of sleep time is about a 20-fold increase in GH, while the normal GH pulses that occur during the day are between 10 and 15 fold (5). Not only are these pulses larger than the post-exercise pulse, but they last longer, too (1-3 hours).

So, hopefully from that data, you see that even if carbs did decrease the GH response to exercise, you're not missing out on all kinds of fat loss. GH pulses after exercise are small, very brief and inferior to normal daily GH pulses. "

Whole article is at
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/.../recupdate.htm
work/fam safe...maybe some bad words...ok, maybe not kid safe..

Anyways...people are always debating this...and I am sure it will go on....me personally I feel better with a PWO meal. Depending on insulin sensitivity too will depend on how the PWO carbs are stored (glycogen vs fat).