CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-13-2005, 02:22 PM   #1
Chris Hanninger

Profile:
I am 6'5" 230lb who crosstrains in cf, grappling and kickboxing. Even on rest days of CF i'm still training in either of the other sports. So the days I do CF chances are i'm doing one of the other sports later on in the day. I seem to be losing weight instead of gaining. I have a night job so I work until about 4 am and don't get to bed much before 5, but I still manage to get 7 hrs sleep. My first meal of the day being at 2 pm. I don't get to eat a solid 3 meals a day, because of my work schedule but I have time to eat something small like protein shakes and mrp bars or fruit. Still I always find I'm hungry and it's taking it's effect on me. Is this a problem with nutrition or am I just overtraining?

Thanx for the help

CJ
Old 12-13-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Well, it's become cliche, but there's no overtraining, just under-recovery.. ;)

I would say that you need to really pay attention to your nutrient ratios and the quality of the food you're consuming. It would be best if you can spread your necessary nutrition between 5 or 6 smaller meals anyway, so your dilike of the "3 square" concept isn't necessarily a bad thing. What you really need to do, though is focus on basing as many of your meals as possible on lean protein sources and lots of vegetebles. Then round it out with fruits and healthy fats. This assures that you will be getting enough vitamin and mineral content for recovery. If you are still feeling like you're not recovering enough, increase your fat intake, perhaps try some fish-oil at every meal, and make sure you're staying adequately hydrated at all times.

These are just a few things that can make a difference. I'm sure you're capable of sustaining the workload that you're currently undertaking, it will just take a bit of dilligence on the diet side of things to get it all dialed in.

Good luck.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:14 PM   #3
Chris Hanninger

Profile:
as far as ratios what are the recommendations? thanks for all the advice...i need it :happy:
Old 12-13-2005, 05:39 PM   #4
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Most people involved with Crossfit would suggest the Zone diet with an increase in healthy fats. If you want some easy-to-follow information on the Zone protocol and its implementation, I'd recommend the Crossfit journal issue #21. Basically you will determine your required block prescription, then eat X carbohydrates, X Protein and 2-5X fat at each meal. Once you get it dialed in it's pretty easy to follow.

If you want something even simpler, you can hardly go wrong with Dan John's recommendations:
1.) eat protein with every meal
2.) eat fiber with every meal
3.) eat fish-oil with every meal
That's about as simple as it gets. For just a couple more simple rules, check out John Berardi's "7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutrition Programs"
http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/7habits.htm

Basically, there are tons of plans out there, but it boils down to trying what seems best to you and tweaking it to your personal needs until you find what works and what doesn't.