CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Scott Reed

Profile:
Rhabdo got me

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and recently (1 month ago) had a pretty good case of Rhabdo. I did "Angie" on a Thursday night and by Sunday I had T-Rex arms and could not strighten them. I won't bore you with all the details but I was on an IV for 8 days with CK levels north of 22,000 which was the highest the machines went to. My urine never turned dark and I felt completely normal the whole time except for the soreness and swelling.It was clearly not a case of DOMS and I'm glad I went to the ER when I did. I diagnosed myself with Rhabdo after learning about it that Sunday while googling "crossfit soreness" and found a bunch of stuff about Rhabdo. The docs says my self-diagnosis and decision to seek treatment likely save my kidneys.

This was only my second crossfit session but I'm in good shape and was able to complete "Angie" in just over 20 mins. My gym never mentioned Rhabdo prior to me starting, nor did they scale my workout down to beginner range. I only found out they should have while reading about Rhabdo from my hospital bed. Oh well, what's done is done and now, 1 month later I'm feeling great.My blood levels are all back to normal and I did no permanent damage to my organs. My biceps did lose some mass (rhabdo was from the pull-ups) but oh well. I can retrain the arms later.

I'd like to begin training again but I know it's too soon.I'm only on week 3 since I got to ditch the IV.

Any success stories about trainig again after rhabdo would be appreciated. I'm not sure I'll return to crossfit, I just don't think it's for me but I respect the hell out of it and it's athletes now.

I would also like to encourage anyone who may suspect rhabdo to seek medical treatment. You do not need to have all the symptoms to have rhabdo.Again, mine was 3 days post workout, I had no dark urine, felt fine other than the soreness and swelling. the doc also tells me it's becoming more and more common among people in good shape.I'm 30 years old, male, 6' 185lbs and a lifelong athlete (water polo, swimming etc.) and Rhabdo nailed me.Be aware and don't over do it. Sitting around for a month or 3 is torture while healing.

Good luck to all with your training.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Rhabdo got me

Bummer man.

Pretty bad on the part of your gym. You could probably sue them for your medical bills if you want toprobably. But there's no way you should've been doing that workout in only your second session.

For those uninformed,

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/0...habdomyolysis/
Old 05-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Reed View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and recently (1 month ago) had a pretty good case of Rhabdo. I did "Angie" on a Thursday night and by Sunday I had T-Rex arms and could not strighten them. I won't bore you with all the details but I was on an IV for 8 days with CK levels north of 22,000 which was the highest the machines went to. My urine never turned dark and I felt completely normal the whole time except for the soreness and swelling.It was clearly not a case of DOMS and I'm glad I went to the ER when I did. I diagnosed myself with Rhabdo after learning about it that Sunday while googling "crossfit soreness" and found a bunch of stuff about Rhabdo. The docs says my self-diagnosis and decision to seek treatment likely save my kidneys.

This was only my second crossfit session but I'm in good shape and was able to complete "Angie" in just over 20 mins. My gym never mentioned Rhabdo prior to me starting, nor did they scale my workout down to beginner range. I only found out they should have while reading about Rhabdo from my hospital bed. Oh well, what's done is done and now, 1 month later I'm feeling great.My blood levels are all back to normal and I did no permanent damage to my organs. My biceps did lose some mass (rhabdo was from the pull-ups) but oh well. I can retrain the arms later.

I'd like to begin training again but I know it's too soon.I'm only on week 3 since I got to ditch the IV.

Any success stories about trainig again after rhabdo would be appreciated. I'm not sure I'll return to crossfit, I just don't think it's for me but I respect the hell out of it and it's athletes now.

I would also like to encourage anyone who may suspect rhabdo to seek medical treatment. You do not need to have all the symptoms to have rhabdo.Again, mine was 3 days post workout, I had no dark urine, felt fine other than the soreness and swelling. the doc also tells me it's becoming more and more common among people in good shape.I'm 30 years old, male, 6' 185lbs and a lifelong athlete (water polo, swimming etc.) and Rhabdo nailed me.Be aware and don't over do it. Sitting around for a month or 3 is torture while healing.

Good luck to all with your training.
CF isn't the only program that can cause rhabdo--did you see the story about the group of Iowa football players who got it from an offseason workout?

The chief cause of rhabdo is poorly programmed workouts and coaches who don't tell people how to avoid it. You were susceptible due to your previous training background, much more so than a sedentary person would be because you've developed a capacity to push through difficult workouts. A sedentary person typically lacks the mental and physical toughness to push himself to that extent unless it's with something dumb like a bunch of jumping pullups or GHD situps.

Sorry to hear about your situation but this was a failure of your gym and coaches, not the program itself.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Scott Reed

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
CF isn't the only program that can cause rhabdo--did you see the story about the group of Iowa football players who got it from an offseason workout?

The chief cause of rhabdo is poorly programmed workouts and coaches who don't tell people how to avoid it. You were susceptible due to your previous training background, much more so than a sedentary person would be because you've developed a capacity to push through difficult workouts. A sedentary person typically lacks the mental and physical toughness to push himself to that extent unless it's with something dumb like a bunch of jumping pullups or GHD situps.

Sorry to hear about your situation but this was a failure of your gym and coaches, not the program itself.
Thanks Eric,

I agree with you and am not pointing the finger at crossfit.I think it's a good program. I do think my particular gym dropped the ball though.They are a full service gym and just became a crossfit affiliate a few months prior to my rhabdo case.It's clear to me that all the level 1 cert. trainers as well as the owner there do not fully understand or appreciate the seriousness of Rhabdo.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:52 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Yeah, unfortunately you'll see a wide range of competence levels from coaches from gym to gym and within each gym, regardless of what level trainer they are. The Level 1 cert provides a basic amount of coaching and programming knowledge but it's by no means exhaustive.

I always mentioned rhabdo to new people I worked with and told them what personal characteristics and types of workouts were most at risk for it. Sounds like you happened upon a gym or coach that doesn't take that sort of thing very seriously. My guess is they'll either fix themselves or not be in business for long...this probably isn't the only serious mistake they're making.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
Jon Gray

Profile:

At some point HQ should clamp down on who get's to open a gym. There is currently zero barrier to entry. One of the best suggestions I've heard would be doing an apprenticeship at a "Certified Gym".
Old 05-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
Ryan Kerian

Profile:

Sorry to hear this happened to you. It seems like this has happened to a fair number of people and that we can all strive to scale up to big workouts and keep our eyes open for warning signs. Rhabdo snuck up on me by week 2 of CrossFit and in hindsight we all could have done a little more to prevent it. I think CrossFit is amazing, but I now realize I need to work up to hitting it hard. Thanks for sharing your story. I hope others benefit from it.