CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-08-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
Aaron Wilson

Profile:
I have been thinking about the functionality of rings recently. I can do multiple ring Muscle ups (PB of 5) but I cant do a bar muscle up.

Wouldn't a bar muscle up be far more functional than a ring muscle up?

In reality if you were trying to surmount a ledge or a rock etc it is usually static like a bar and the technique that you use on rings wouldn't apply nearly as well.

Am I forgetting something or is a bar more useful than rings for training.

Thoughts?

Old 11-08-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
They are different. Rings teaches stabilization and control. A bar requires a more dynamic movement (though a static, strict bar mu can be done, it is less functional). A bar "muscle up" is really just a deadhang kip to support IMHO. Done on a wall it's different cause you can push off a wall, done in the corner of a building is different, etc. They all will find application if you learn them.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
Body control and awareness that is stimulated by rings is good. When your hands can wobble any which way if you don't keep them still, you are gaining a HUGE amount of specific control about how to use your limbs effectively in the way that takes the least amount of strength to put you there. Plus, it works stabilizers and weak links.

As Roger said, they both have different applications. I find that my strength and control increases a lot more when I do exercises on rings such as weighted dips than if I do them on a set of parallel bars. Of course, this helps me a lot in my Parkour training as well. :-)
Old 11-08-2006, 10:27 PM   #4
David Aguasca

Profile:
that's funny, aaron, because i am NOWHERE near being able to do a ring MU, but i've recently learned that i can actually pull off 3-4 bar MUs at a time...i just had never tried it. i kip like heck when i do them, and i turn both arms at the same time, too.

how does THAT work?
Old 11-09-2006, 06:56 AM   #5
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
You can get a MUCH stronger yank on the kip with a bar MU. If you are strong enough you can kip right past the transition which is the tough part of a MU.

IMO order of difficulty:
violent kipping bar MU
quick ring MU
slow ring MU
slow narrow grip bar MU
slow wide grip bar MU

Rings are much more functional in almost all respencts.

Rings to bar is what universal machine is to free weights

(Message edited by vcraig on November 09, 2006)
Old 11-09-2006, 07:11 AM   #6
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Craig, to clarify did you state the last part backwards?

"Rings to bar is what universal machine is to free weights"
Old 11-09-2006, 08:37 AM   #7
Brian Reckdenwald

Profile:
SAT syle

rings : bar ; free weights : universal machine
Old 11-09-2006, 10:29 AM   #8
Bill Russell

Profile:
The experienced gymnasts here are better to give you the specifics on how/why rings are great.....
I can offer some feedback as a newbie to using rings(close to 3 months now).

First off, I think the rings I bought from Tyler are the single best investment I have ever made in exercise equipment.

Following 15 years of being "too busy and important" to find time to exercise, I have been actively working out for the past 6 or 7 years - mainly martial arts, bodyweight exercises and dumbells. I've been doing CF since April of this year, scaling many WODs, as rx'd when I'm able.

Since adding the rings to my regimen, I have noticed a significant increase in upper body strength and tone. I really like that I am able to target areas that I did not know how to target before, most noticably the upper part of my triceps. I have seen an increase in my max reps for pushups(+15 to 75) and pullups(+3 to 8), and I have better definition of my arms and abs. I've done nothing else new except add rings.

I have a old nagging elbow injury that rears its ugly head once in a while (which has always accounted for my low pullup numbers). The rings allow me to lighten the strain by adjusting my grip/angles/loads etc. so I can do things that I can not do on a bar.

Most interesting, my wife and 18 year old son use them every chance they get. By being able to adjust the height of the rings, anyone can easily scale the load on dozens of exercises and progress at their own pace.

I laughed outloud at myself the first time I attempted a muscle-up on the rings, not even close! I now see and feel the progress I've made and believe I'll get one before my next birthday.

I'd like to hear from others as to positive results experienced using rings.

Bill Russell

Old 11-09-2006, 12:15 PM   #9
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Training in unstable environments (provided you can maintain enough control to not injure yourself) forces a rapid firing of small control muscles in a way that just can't be replicated with other means. This reactive training has tremendous benifit for injury prevention and injury rehabilitation. Rings provide this unstable environment for the shoulders that's tough to do elsewhere. Get to holding a solid handstand on rings and you'll be able to do it just about anywhere.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:45 PM   #10
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
answer: because they are fun. get it? FUNctional?

seriously, though, can we stop saying "functional"? nothing is functional except calculators and forklifts.