CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 12-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: disheartening image...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Breyer View Post
Not to hijack, but is anyone else annoyed that the first thing people think of when they see rings is the iron cross?

I'll set up my rings at the campus gym and without fail someone will come up to me: "hey dude, sweet rings. can you iron cross??"
I was doing ring work once at my gym when I was in college. Some guy came over and said, "you gotta do some iron crosses." I replied, "I can't yet."

He proceeded to jump up onto my rings, attempted an iron cross and failed miserably, almost fell through the rings. It was hilarious.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #12
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post
on a related note.. isn't it kinda sad how nobody cares about how much they can press? And a standard standing barbell press is a rare thing to see in the globo..
I swear the difference is being able to see yourself lift the weight. I hate how there is always a line for one of the 10 benches at our gym, and I have to wait for one of the two platforms because people insist on curling with bumper plates.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #13
Michal Hobbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Breyer View Post
I swear the difference is being able to see yourself lift the weight. I hate how there is always a line for one of the 10 benches at our gym, and I have to wait for one of the two platforms because people insist on curling with bumper plates.
Sorry brah. Was getting my pump on and listening to a slow clap on the ipod.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
Pressing weight overhead is a lost gem in the strength world. It was replaced by the bench monkeys using uber arches and doing thier version of a flat/decline bench...
Maybe it has been too long since I've gone to a non-CF or powerlift gym, but just what is a, "bench monkey using uber arches"?

Old 12-13-2010, 12:30 PM   #15
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Maybe it has been too long since I've gone to a non-CF or powerlift gym, but just what is a, "bench monkey using uber arches"?

i would imagine it's someone who's fixated on the bench press because he wants "teh swol peks'' thus making him akin to a monkey..
and the uber arches would refer to the fact that he's using too much weight and has to lift his keester and make an arch so big you could drive a truck under it.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #16
James A Stevens

Profile:

Okay a little off topic but, confession time, about twenty five years ago I did some body building stuff for a year. The one thing I didn't notice back then but have realised since doing CF is you hardly ever do anything "overhead".

I noticed because I can deadlift around 130kg (285lbs) before I run out of weight (but probably couldn't do too much more as a 1rm) but overhead that is a different story! Less than half that usually and struggling.

On topic my father used to do gymnastics when he was young and despite not doing much of anything could still pull off an Iron Cross when he was in his 50's. They bred them tough in the '20's that's for sure. If he was still with us he would be 90 this Christmas Day.