CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
Chris Jones

Profile:
Little advice?

ok guys. ive been doing paleo for about 3 months now relatively strictly, and my results have pretty much come to a stop. I immediately dropped about 8lbs but then since then havent lost any more in almost 2 months. My body fat isnt changing much at all either though, so im not looking any leaner as well. Is this to be expected? My day usually consists of 3 eggs and 2-3oz of turkey sausage for breakfast, an 8-10oz chicken breast and side salad with RW vinegar as dressing for lunch, and another 8-10oz of either chicken or beef with veggies sauteed in EVOO as dinner. Am i eating enough, too much? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Im 6ft 1 and weigh about 182 at about 12.8% body fat if that helps, looking to get my BF to 10 while still gaining in strength. in advance,
CJ
Old 06-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Little advice?

Not many BF% measurements are accurate to within a couple of percent, much less to within tenths of a percent. Where is that 12.8% number coming from?

You're already lean enough that losing significant bf while still gaining strength is going to be pretty difficult. Pick a goal.

Katherine
Old 06-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
Chris Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Not many BF% measurements are accurate to within a couple of percent, much less to within tenths of a percent. Where is that 12.8% number coming from?

You're already lean enough that losing significant bf while still gaining strength is going to be pretty difficult. Pick a goal.

Katherine
hey Katherine, the number came from one of those plug-n-play handheld devices at my local PEAK gym so its only relatively accurate. I would rather lean out for the time being, then work on strength. Any ideas for my diet then?
Old 06-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
hey Katherine, the number came from one of those plug-n-play handheld devices at my local PEAK gym so its only relatively accurate. I would rather lean out for the time being, then work on strength. Any ideas for my diet then?
I would say that's the backwards way to go about things--you're going to lose strength, or at least have your gains go stagnant, while you're leaning out. Then the strength you "gain" will just get you back to where you were before. It's generally easier to get bigger and stronger then try to lean out if you need to.

Are you taking fish oil? Sleeping enough? What's your training like? Are you eating enough good fats? The only one you mentioned was the EVOO.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
If that's the source, the bf% you posted is pretty much useless. What does the mirror say? What do you want it to say?

As a general rule, if you're not losing weight, and want to, eat less. If you were to post a bit more detail -- say a calorie count for a day or two, plus a description of your training -- people could give you better advice.

Katherine
Old 06-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
Chris Jones

Profile:

thanks for all the advice, on a usual basis i do the WOD scaled to my ability, plus a weight session after(deadlift, squat, bench or press) 3-4 times a week. On my non-lifting days i usually either run sprints or endurance run of a mile or two. As far as calories go, i havent strictly counted them for a couple months now just guesstimating. And as far as good fats go, i eat almonds daily and most days i have a small serving of greek yogurt as a snack with the almonds or an apple. Does that give you guys a better idea? And if i need to go about eating a little more to gain strength will the lean come with it if i eat the right foods like lean meat and fruits/veggies? Or do i need more cardio...ive never been what i consider lean, but im the leanest ive ever been right now and i want to go a little further with it.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Do your lifting before the WOD--a metcon basically destroys your ability to put out a decent effort on a strength workout, which means you'll see limited gains from it.

If you increase food intake and lift heavy it's pretty much inevitable that you'll gain mass--it won't be pure lean mass, but the proportion of muscle to fat will depend on your type and amount of training, recovery, genetics, and how fast you're trying to gain how much weight. Don't overthink things too much.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:18 AM   #8
Chris Jones

Profile:

thanks Eric, but for the time being strength gains arent quite as important to me as not letting my bodyfat creep back up. So how should i train, more intensely with less weight? Ive worked really hard to lean up and i just dont want to get "doughy" again
Old 06-28-2010, 06:34 AM   #9
Tony Young

Profile:

Chris,
Your goals are at odds with each other. Getting leaner and stronger at once is difficult, at best. My thoughts:

Gain 20 pounds. Like most CFer's you're too light. At 6'1" you could easily go 200-205 and still be plenty fast and much more durable. Eat. A lot. 4000-5000 calories a day. Lift. Heavy. Try the Wendler 5,3,1. Sleep. 8-9 hours a night. Lay off the metcons. Some sled dragging and farmers walks maybe 2x a week. Do this for 2-3 months.

Then, dial back your food intake to maintenance level. Lower overall calories, mostly protein and fat, lighter on the carbs. This is when you'll lean out. Your training can be lifts and short, hard metcons 4 days a week with a longer metcon on the 5th day.

You can rotate through this a couple times a year if you want or need to. Depends on how you respond, what your competition or sports seasons are, etc.

By the way, what does "relatively strictly" mean?
Old 06-28-2010, 07:14 AM   #10
Adam Stanley Farrah

Profile:

Chris,

I think you have a few things going on here. My gut tells me you are probably both under-eating AND overtraining. For better or worse, I had a long history in bodybuilding before I came to CrossFit and a mistake I made along with countless others in trying to get leaner is under-eating and overtraining.

I find I have to very consciously EAT in order to keep my weight and strength on track. I also have found over and over again that eating plenty of clean, fatty, Paleo foods keeps me LEANER than under-eating. Another problem I have is that I love to run and sprint and love to train in general and can get into systemic fatigue (overtraining) pretty fast if I'm not careful.

Overtraining = Elevated Cortisol = NO Fat Loss (and possibly gain)

My advice is to track your calories for a week and see where you are. You should be eating about 160 grams of protein AT LEAST and then adjusting your fat and carbs off of that number depending on what makes you feel best. You could start (they're going to flame me) with a Zone deal - 40/30/30 and work from there. I only say Zone because it's measurable and repeatable. It's a STARTING POINT so you can experiment further.

Something else to check out is Robb Wolf's most recent Paleolithic Solution (Episode #33). He talks about bodyfat measurement specifically in question 10 and talks a lot throughout the entire episode about overtraining and training periodization.

I'd also suggest you look at your food QUALITY. That's a big deal in fat loss and not something a lot of people really get into or talk about.

PM me if you need more help or want to discuss one on one.

Adam