CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-12-2009, 08:20 AM   #21
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: Shane's "I'm not really doing crossfit" log

Great work so far Shane! Sounds like you are very determined and making great progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie Smith View Post
Do you time yourself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Lawrence View Post
Not unless Im going for speed. Right now these are ripping me up and the ability to actually DO these excercises after being a desk jockey for 12 years is pretty damned impressive, to me at least. And Im the only one im trying to impress =D
Remember that it's not just about impressing, it's about measuring your progress. Crossfit WODs are competitive events even if you are only competing against yourself. You should record your time so that you can repeat some of your workouts a couple months later. It's incredibly gratifying to go back to a workout you did 2 months ago and do it in in 1/3 less time.

Recording times would also help people on the message boards get a better feel for how you are planning and executing your workout and could help us leave constructive feedback.

On an unrelated terminology point: what do you mean when you use the term "Tabata"? I think you may misunderstand the term based on this:
Quote:
3 rounds each of the following, NO REST
20 Tabata Squats
20 Tabata Pushups
20 Jumping Jacks
Tabata doesn't refer to a type of exercise, but rather to a specific work and rest scheme: 20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest. So if you do Tabata pushups it should be 20 seconds of pushups, then 10 seconds rest, 20 seconds of pushups, 10 seconds of rest, etc, and then you perform a predetermined number of intervals (often times 8 intervals--4 minutes total--is a good number before switching exercises). So saying you are doing Tabata Squats with no rest is a contradiction.

Tabata intervals can be pretty nasty if worked in the right combinations with effective exercises.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #22
Shane Lawrence

Profile:

Yes, Im trying to follow the rest scheme that makes a tabata exercise tabata by defination. When I say no rest, I mean no rests between exercices or rotations, more than 1 minute. No moving slow to transition to the next exercise, no walking out THEN start the sprint. The concept being keep my heartrate above 100, preferably 120 to keep metcon up.

The moment Laurie asked if I was recording times, I knew I should be. These are difficult workouts for me at this point, and I have been coming back to them about weekly. I remember last week how hard it was to even complete, and this week I completed with a perfect about of oomph left. So yes, it is time to start timing them, and adding to them either in numbers, rotations, or exercises per rotation. IE - moving from 3 to 5 rotations of the same number, or even adding 5 to each number of exercises.

You notice what I did with the runs this week by recording distance and time, then playing distance and time off each other with resistance and weight? When I feel the workout is solid, I can push it farther with weight, reps and time.

I GREATLY appreciate the feedback and engouragement!
Old 07-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #23
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Yes, Im trying to follow the rest scheme that makes a tabata exercise tabata by defination. When I say no rest, I mean no rests between exercices or rotations, more than 1 minute. No moving slow to transition to the next exercise, no walking out THEN start the sprint. The concept being keep my heartrate above 100, preferably 120 to keep metcon up.
OK. So what exactly do you mean when you say 20 tabata pushups? Is twenty the total number of repetitions or is 20 a number of intervals? In most tabata workouts I've seen you use a predetermined number of intervals and try for max reps. Maybe I'm just not clear on your nomenclature.

Quote:
The moment Laurie asked if I was recording times, I knew I should be. These are difficult workouts for me at this point, and I have been coming back to them about weekly. I remember last week how hard it was to even complete, and this week I completed with a perfect about of oomph left. So yes, it is time to start timing them, and adding to them either in numbers, rotations, or exercises per rotation. IE - moving from 3 to 5 rotations of the same number, or even adding 5 to each number of exercises.

You notice what I did with the runs this week by recording distance and time, then playing distance and time off each other with resistance and weight? When I feel the workout is solid, I can push it farther with weight, reps and time.

I GREATLY appreciate the feedback and engouragement!
Sounds like some good stuff. As for adding more sets and reps as you get better, remember that properly programmed shorter workouts (less than 10 or 15 minutes) can be great in the mix also. The intensity can get really high when you aren't saving anything for down the road. Particularly effective for this is a decreasing rep schemes, such as 21-15-9 scheme, or something like 21-18-15-12-9-6 reps. You would do two or three movements. For example, you could do 21-15-9 of Sumo Lifts and burpees where you do 21 sumos, 21 burpees, 15 sumos, 15 burpees, 9 sumos, 9 burpees, all for time. As you get more tired the sets get shorter allowing you to keep the intensity higher and take less breaks.

Another workout structure you could investigate, if you haven't already, is the "As Many Rounds As Possible in ___ Minutes." These can be pretty killer and will automatically have you increase the workload as you get more fit. Your perfromance is, of course, measured by how many rounds you get done. Crossfit's best known workout of this type is "Cindy"

As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:
5 kipping pullups
10 pushups
15 squats.

As long as you are strong enough or scale it well enough that you don't get snagged down with one exercise (for instance, if the pullups are killing you you switch to jumping pullups) it can be brutal. If you've never tried it I would highly suggest starting with a 10 minute interval to feel this one out.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:30 AM   #24
Shane Lawrence

Profile:

Day 14 - 13 july 2009 - Moguls in July
=============================
25 leg Lifts ( 4 direction - L side, R side, L forward, R forward)
25 Deep Squats
10 Lunges (4 direction - left left, left forward, right right, right forward )
Heel-toe - 5 seconds x25 (be sure to bend the knees and act as if you were snowboarding)
run 200 M full resistance (eliptical)

==============================
Dropped the step-ups, nothing to step up on this morning that was sufficiently unstable to strengthen the ankles. Replaced with deep squats, to work the knees.
Only completed 2 reps plus the third run, due to knee pain. Spent the rest of the third iteration iceing my knees (a good use for packages of frozen okra!).
Old 07-13-2009, 10:41 AM   #25
Shane Lawrence

Profile:

My understanding of "tabata" exercises:
Now that I read a little more into the basics and theory of tabata, I think I have only been half-way there. My tabata pushups and squats have been exercise and rest counts 5x5. rest for pushups is in the up position, down position for squats. (so full muscle use for both). Always completed for speed.

IE:
complete 1-2-3-4-5,
rest for the count of 1-2-3-4-5 (5 seconds?)
complete 6-7-8-9-10
rest 6-7-8-9-10
complete 11-12-13-14-15
rest 11-12-13-14-15
complete 16-17-18-19-20
rest 16-17-18-19-20

The "No rest" workout means I immediatly start the next exercise.

So, not really tabata by completing as many as I can in 20 seconds and resting for 10. I think that does sound like a much better execution for time strapped workouts.

I will start to incorperate true tabata into my workouts.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #26
Shane Lawrence

Profile:

I might also add these workouts are only being done untill I get myself up to a level where I feel I can complete the true WOD, with subs for equipment of lack thereof. 60-90 days perhaps?

Last edited by Shane Lawrence : 07-13-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #27
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
I might also add these workouts are only being done untill I get myself up to a level where I feel I can complete the true WOD, with subs for equipment of lack thereof. 60-90 days perhaps?
Well remember that the WoDs can be scaled to any fitness level (though you'll still be equipment limited).

The best resource is Brand X. They post a series of scaled versions each day to match the workout on Crossfits main page.

http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index....forum/16/?f=16 (WFS)
Old 07-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #28
Shane Lawrence

Profile:

Day 15 - 14 July 2009 - Independence Day
==========================
10 pullups
10 <inverted> pushups
10 sumo lifts - cinderblock
10 military press - cinderblock
10 curls - cinderblock
1 climb-out

Repeat 3 times
===========================
Completed in about 14 mins after stretching, to the final climbout was complete.
The pushups were not actually handstands today, but my feet were resting on the 4th stair above me, instead of tipping over the axis into handstands. A headache prevented handstands or even headstands this morning.

The climbout. Wow. A pentultimate gut-check after every round.
I do this workout in a basement walkout behind the house, from the top of the wall to the bottom landing is 9 feet. The climbout is to start on the landing, run up the stairs, back down to the landing, and jump up to grip the edge, pull up, muscle-up, and climb up and over the wall, (avoiding my wifes mint and herb garden) and run back down to the landing. Kind of a jumping muscle-up with some stairs involved.

I plan on doing a workout of just this sometime soon, With video =) Allthough today, from the scrapes on my knees, forearms and biceps, I must wear long sleeves and long pants, The cement wall is pretty tough on unprotected skin.
==============================================
Tomorrow: Day of rest.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #29
Shane Lawrence

Profile:

day 16 - 15 july 2009 - rest
=========================
day of rest.
=========================
Prepare for 3 days of consecutive MetCon!
Old 07-16-2009, 05:28 AM   #30
Shane Lawrence

Profile:

Day 17 - 16 july 2009
===================
Run 1.5 Miles for time
===================
Time: 11:50
Actually running, not on my elliptical.
Is pain weakness leaving the body, or is it your body telling you you are damaging it? (no really, whats your opinion?)

From this day forward unless otherwise stated, Im running, on the blacktop, outside. The constant swatting of mosquitos only adds to the MetCon.

Yes, I passed a personal goal of a 12 minute 1.5 mile requirement for most military and police entrance exams. For a 22yo. I may lay incorperate more "Stew Smith" in order to bring my MetCons and runs up as I have no problems with sprints, pushups, pullups, and situps.

Now, where the hell is my inhaler?