CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #21
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Re: Heard in the Office Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirzah Harper View Post
Do we really have to go into the food brought in by people who then spend HOURS talking about low fat this, calories that, and aerobics classes? Really?
What? I love when people bring in their sugary carb-fests and say "It's low fat and low calorie!" Then can't figure out why you don't want any.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #22
Glen Pennington

Profile:

The overweight diabetic woman that ate pancakes almost every morning sitting near me was particularly depressing. The common behavior of carb-heavy eating, snacking late morning and mid-afternoon because their blood sugar is completely wacked while talking about trying to lose weight wasn't quite as depressing. As for me, I'm lean because "I work out so much" and not for my high protein, low carb, breakfast and lunch choices.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #23
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Pennington View Post
The overweight diabetic woman that ate pancakes almost every morning sitting near me was particularly depressing. The common behavior of carb-heavy eating, snacking late morning and mid-afternoon because their blood sugar is completely wacked while talking about trying to lose weight wasn't quite as depressing. As for me, I'm lean because "I work out so much" and not for my high protein, low carb, breakfast and lunch choices.
I am particularly fond of the 'you are just naturally skinny' comments myself...

If by naturally they mean I work out hard, eat right, and know when and how to cheat, then by all means, its natural!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:10 AM   #24
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
... diabetes Klein bottle
...or diabetes mobius strips.

At my girlfreinds work, a real big woman actually cracked and broke their toilet seat. Suppossedly she can smell 'giveaway' food a mile away. She says she is on a diet but is always caught munchin'.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #25
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

SO does a food with only 1 side have any calories?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #26
Nelson A Mitchell

Profile:

I think at my job they talk about weight more than actual work. At least once a day, before lunch time, i hear people complaining about weight, not being fit blah blah...

Most of the diet stuff is my fault just becasue I am the tupperware guy. I get almost everyday "All that fat you eat is bad for you" or my favorite "Those Eggs are going to kill you, i would not touch them with a ten foot poll"

I just mind my business, until last november, the was this civilain guy whose wife deployed for a year. He dais he wanted to get into shape and get all slim for when she came back. He had noticed that dispite my bizzare eating habits he had noticed i had bcome leaner and such. So he asked me about it, i sent him some links and told him if he had any quesitons let me know. Needless to say he has dropped 40lbs and now at least i have partner to deal with the non-belivers.

Speaking of which, it is almost lunch time so im sure i will have more to share for the microwave meal eating, diet coke drinking LSD women in the break room
Old 05-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #27
Nelson A Mitchell

Profile:

My wife works at Lane Bryant......the stories she tells are too funny. My favorite from this weekend:

"Molly did you know that Diet coke is bad for you" - boss
"Yea, I ahve know this for a while" - My Wife
"Well that just means I am going to have to drink regular coke then" - boss

It is soo silly that you cant make this stuff up
Old 05-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #28
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Cooper View Post
In college, I lived in a coop with a vegan whose daily breakfast was Fruit-Loops with water.

I won't go too far down this road, but I am reading, finally, "Good calories/bad calories", and it was amazing me to see C. Everett Coop--our Nutritional Czar, so to speak--go on record as saying that the evidence was better in favor of the low fat hypothesis than it had been when his office came out against smoking in the early 60's. At that point, precisely two studies had been done, on small homogeneous groups, whose results conflicted.
I'm about 3/4 the way done with this book, and just saw Taubes' speech on google video. It really it pretty enlightening... ESPECIALLY since there was all sorts of research before the 1960's that suggested that carbs caused fat to accumulate and caused diabetes/heart disease.

I can't wait to finish this thing, but its SO dense.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #29
Richard Foote

Profile:

I'm surrounded by idiots in the Army.

Seriously, some of you probably know exactly the people of whom I speak. I've been in Iraq for 5 months, during which I've tried to teach half a dozen guys to eat better, workout more efficiently and set goals. I've apparently failed on every attempt, because there is ZERO willpower to be had.

And of course, I'm blamed for not knowing what I'm talking about...because the workouts aren't long enough, or the food served at the DFAC doesn't taste good every day, or the "work schedule" makes it too difficult to follow a daily plan. "it's just ONE donut, man." "i've got a patrol tomorrow (so i can't possibly workout tonight at 6pm)."

We're in the freaking United States military! Isn't part of every job being FIT and READY to do your job at a moment's notice? Shouldn't you have the energy to go at it for hours on end?

Don't ask for help if you're not going to follow it. Know what I mean?!

Now that I've ranted, I realize I'm off topic. I apologize. Sometimes I get a little carried away.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #30
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Foote View Post
I'm surrounded by idiots in the Army.

Now that I've ranted, I realize I'm off topic. I apologize. Sometimes I get a little carried away.
Don't fret... you're totally on topic. This is turning into the new "I saw at the globo thread" but for the office. Talking about idiots is definitely ON topic.

To keep my post on topic, we actually did a "Biggest Loser" contest at my office starting at the beginning of the year for 3 months. Quite a few of the contestants essentially starved themselves, and didn't get very far. I kept telling them that I ate bacon every day, and was kicking major butt. I came in 2nd (there was a guy that had a LOT more weight to lose, and did a great job)... and I'm pretty sure there were some people scratching their heads.