CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 09-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
Pam Munson

Profile:
Client can't get past throwing up.

We have a client we've been training for 18 months who still pukes most every time he works out. He threw up on the first one, but he'd eaten a protein bar on the way to the workout so that was easily fixed. We've played around with the time he eats, scaled workouts down to stuff he could do hog-tied, pushed through it...nothing has changed. If his heart rate gets slightly elevated he's throwing up. He's even thrown up after a successful workout and cool down in cool non-humid weather. We're sitting around talking, laughing about something and then BAM! He's so frustrated he's having a hard time justifying the workouts. And yes, as a side effect, he also has a heck of a time keeping any kind of weight on.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Pam
Old 09-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
Grant Nichols

Profile:
Re: Client can't get past throwing up.

Pam,

Can you provide more info on your client (age, weight, BP etc..). The first thing that came to mind was he may be having some cardiac problems. Just a thought.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

I puked a lot for the first 4 months or so I went to an affiliate, but was able to manage it by watching my heart rate very closely. What I figured out was: For me, I can keep it in the high 170's to low 180's for an entire workout no problem. Once it gets around 185, however, I need to back off even if I feel OK or I'm going to puke. With that knowledge I was better able to manage intensity without always feeling like I either wasn't giving enough or puking. Now I don't have to wear the heart rate monitor all the time to control it.

Have you played around with the time of day he works out? From personal experience I also seem to be less likely to puke if I work out in the morning.

Does your client also suffer from acid reflux or any other stomache problems? That could easily contribute. Any heart problems? If it's really abnormal or uncontrollable, he should probably go see a doctor to get it figured out.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
Dave Matteson

Profile:

So far, all good things to consider. In addition, I'm curious if he's adequately hydrated prior to working out. That's not to say he should drink a liter of water right before before a workout, however. Also, is he on any blood pressure medications, particularly a beta blocker? They do a great job helping control high blood pressure, but blunt the body's ability to raise its heart rate, which is needed to ensure sufficient brain perfusion during high intensity workouts. Although some people are more or less succeptible to vomiting than others, this does not appear "normal."
Old 09-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
Ed Haywood

Profile:

The obvious answer is that he should see a doctor. That's not normal.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #6
Bryan Gates

Profile:

History of bulimia?
Old 09-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #7
Keith Stevens

Profile:

I think seeing a doctor is a good idea, but which kind?
I'm wondering if he has developed some kind psycho-somatic like response.
That maybe even to severe, since it has happened so much, he may have developed an association with exercise and throwing up, almost like forming a habit.
I had the flu once, a few hours before I first got sick, I ate Taco Bell(I was young and stupid). Anyway, I developed a response where if I just smelled Taco Bell I got sick. That lasted at least a year, I was never really around it after that.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:08 AM   #8
James Napier

Profile:

Reduce the workout volume in half, if he still pukes, cut it in half again. When he stops vomiting, start increasing volume slowly. I used to feel the same way if I had eaten within the past 5 or 6 hours. Now I usually workout 12 hours after last meal but never within 4 hours.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:12 AM   #9
Erik Traeger

Profile:

Ed has an excellent point. It would be wise to try and rule out any medical reasons for the puke problem. If it is not caused by a medical condition, then Keith makes a good point. I once knew a guy who puked on a 2 mile Army PFT. Every time he ran after that, he threw up. I think his case was mental. Has he tried using a buffering agent such as sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)? If the puking is from lactic acid accumulation, then that might help. There are supplements for buffering LA in capsule form, which may be easier to stomach than trying to down a glassful of baking soda and water.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:49 AM   #10
Peter Yeates

Profile:

Ok, here are some alternative sugestions if going to the doctor & or scaling back don't help.

Drink a cup of Ginger tea 1/2hr before working out. This is a traditional remedy for any type of nausea.

Take "Dimethyl Glycine" (kind of hard to get hold of though) before workouts. It buffers lactic acid production.

Take the homeopathic "Nux Vomica" = Traditional remedy for nausea.