CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 08-24-2008, 02:58 AM   #31
Bonny Guang

Profile:
Re: WHOA!!! Underage Gymnast Breaking News

I'm actually in Beijing right now. I leave for Claremont the 28th. Crossfit has worked fine all throughout. Amnesty International and the other sites the media has been complaining about being blocked work fine through my connection, by the way. I don't know if they work in the media press center though, obviously.

I went for soccer, which is slightly different from gymnastics, in that the kids go when they're older. Kids are typically recruited from 9 to 11 for soccer. I don't know how they pick kids who are 3, but I know that I was fast, tall, always healthy, and I had some soccer talent they saw.

I don't know how the conversation with the official went. They just told me I had potential in soccer and told me to go. I should mention that I didn't want to go at all and was pretty upset at first, but I got over it.

My parents lived in Beijing, which is where the sports school was, so I didn't have to live at the school. (maybe 10-20% of the kids didn't have to stay at the school) Most of my friends saw their parents once a year though, during spring break/Chun Jie.

All the parents have a choice. The government never forces your kid to go. It's usually your parents that force you to go. What you have to understand is how utterly poor people still are in China. When I went to the sports school people made like 200 yuan a month, and even less if you lived in the rural areas. (200 RMB = $25 back then) Now if the official tells you your kid has potential in a certain sport, then that right there is a chance to bring your family out of poverty. You are probably not going to get a better chance except by getting your kid into a top school, which itself is insanely hard and ruthless, especially if your family is poor in the first place. In addition, at the school there is always enough food to eat.

In regard to athletic performance and economic progress, I would say if anything the more the country prospers the smaller the pool of kids for the sports school. People are less inclined to send their kids to sports school when they can provide for them well.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:37 AM   #32
Jerry Mobbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Gotcher View Post
Jerry, are you trying to imply that "budget deficits and health insurance" are equivalent to human rights violations, tolerated police brutality (usually racist in its origin), and other similar crimes?

Why would you say we 'should' compare them to the USA 150 years ago, or Europe 200+ years ago... when they are living in 2008. In Olympic terms, that would be like saying "Yeah, X team came in 9th place in the prelims and didn't even qualify, but you have to compare them to the champions in the sport at the turn of the century. Had they competed in 1900, they would have blown the competition out of the water."

If a man gains the whole world and loses his soul...
Christian,

I think this thread is going to end up being political and probably closed down soon.

But if your going to talk about human rights violations or police brutality, then theres plenty of that in both yours and my country. We had internment without trial in Ireland, you had slavery and say Rodney King as a more up to date example. I'm sure we could trade examples and argue all day about the relative justification and vileness of each example, in much the same way that the Chinese government can justify its own actions.

I am not justifying the actions of the Chinese government in any way, I'm merely suggesting that you look at its current actions and compare it to our own societies at similar points in our own development. The key point is to look at the trend. Is the society more open and fairer than it was 20 years ago. The answer to that is a resounding yes. Where will it be in 20 years time? Hopefully freer and more fairer than it is today, and thats good for all of us in the long run.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:51 AM   #33
Christian Gotcher

Profile:

Thanks for the insight, Bonny.

Fair enough, Jerry. In hopes of keeping the thread from closing, because there's some decent discussion about Olympic gymnastics here, I'll leave off.
M/22/155|Murph-28:19|Helen-9:39|Annie- 5:12|CFT-700|1.5 Mile-8:35|Strict PU-24|Fran-5:24 log
Old 08-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #34
Barry Cooper

Profile:

The thing about this country is we never had to deal with a "Great Leap (into mass starvation)".

Remember "Eat your meat, son, there are starving kids in China." I got it. I was just never told why they were starving. Nobody is nowadays, and many of you didn't even get that reference.

I'll leave it at that. I have a personal Rodney King soapbox in my back pocket at all times, but this is not the time or place.

I will end by saying, though, that the point of the Olympics--when they were rolled out in 1896 (and actually, as far as I know, even in Greek times)--was to reduce nationalist tensions, and create a forum where people from all nations could intermingle in a spirit of friendly competition among amateur athletes, and thereby work to foster a world free of the bellicose nationalism that led ultimately to World War One.

What it has turned into for much of the world is a "my nation is better than your nation" sort of thing. This logic, of course, leads any nation which wants to foster nationalistic--even jingoistic--sentiment to pursue a "win at all costs" mentality.

Now, the athletes themselves are just pawns in this. They no doubt have genuinely good times intermingling, and among the athletes themselves the goal of shared understanding is likely reached. I just don't think it is elsewhere.

It is always a pleasure to see world class athletes playing at the top of their games. But I don't think it does anything to foster peace or understanding. It is much more along the lines of 1) a massive business opportunity; and 2) propaganda platform.

These games in particular, as much as I've enjoyed watching them, have soured me on the whole thing.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #35
Jerry Mobbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Cooper View Post
The thing about this country is we never had to deal with a "Great Leap (into mass starvation)".

Remember "Eat your meat, son, there are starving kids in China." I got it. I was just never told why they were starving. Nobody is nowadays, and many of you didn't even get that reference.

I'll leave it at that. I have a personal Rodney King soapbox in my back pocket at all times, but this is not the time or place.

I will end by saying, though, that the point of the Olympics--when they were rolled out in 1896 (and actually, as far as I know, even in Greek times)--was to reduce nationalist tensions, and create a forum where people from all nations could intermingle in a spirit of friendly competition among amateur athletes, and thereby work to foster a world free of the bellicose nationalism that led ultimately to World War One.

What it has turned into for much of the world is a "my nation is better than your nation" sort of thing. This logic, of course, leads any nation which wants to foster nationalistic--even jingoistic--sentiment to pursue a "win at all costs" mentality.

Now, the athletes themselves are just pawns in this. They no doubt have genuinely good times intermingling, and among the athletes themselves the goal of shared understanding is likely reached. I just don't think it is elsewhere.

It is always a pleasure to see world class athletes playing at the top of their games. But I don't think it does anything to foster peace or understanding. It is much more along the lines of 1) a massive business opportunity; and 2) propaganda platform.

These games in particular, as much as I've enjoyed watching them, have soured me on the whole thing.
Barry,

Your posts are always thought provoking and a good read. As to the great leap forward, your right, you never had that, you just had slavery, forced migration of indigenous Indians that caused starvation instead.

In the UK we were told to eat all our food due to all the starving kids in Africa. Think Biafra not live aid.

These are bad things that I'm sure we wish never happened. In your case the US took action to get rid of some of the more unsavoury parts of your history and that is a very commendable trait.

I only hope that the Chinese government moves in the same way over time.

As to the Olympics themselves, they are a fantastic event and I felt privileged to watch it live, on the one part political theatre, on another the hopes and dreams of individuals who put themselves through the ringer training for years for 1 shot at gold.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:17 PM   #36
Bart Hodlik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Woodward View Post

Kind of a shame since China has done a fabulous job hosting so far. What an arrogant chance to take when they probably had a 16 year old gymnast who was nearly as good in reserve.
I really don't understand the fabulous job of hosting bit. I realize that this kind of world event requires immmense coordination, but faking the opening ceremony, and then lip syncing your own national anthom behind a "prettier" face....
This whole issue of whether or not the girl is underage. When stuff like this piles up, how much credibility does it lend towards the athletic event? I think its along the same lines as dopers in other sports. Just play with what you got, if someone else is better, then train harder next time. But come with the real game. Not fake props.

Last edited by Bart Hodlik : 08-24-2008 at 07:19 PM. Reason: quote didn't work right.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:19 AM   #37
Barry Cooper

Profile:

It is a fact which is ignored by everyone that in eliminating Native American independence, we also eliminated slavery in their part of the world. Sakajeweya was a slave, as were many Indians.

China, of course, still practices a form of slavery, at least in the labor camps.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:34 PM   #38
Jerry Mobbs

Profile:

And replaced it with your own on cotton farms in the south I believe? ;-)
Old 08-26-2008, 02:40 AM   #39
Barry Cooper

Profile:

Jerry,

Why don't we move it to the main page? You're defending a wife beater, but I can't take the gloves off here. I just posted on this topic on Rest Day.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #40
David Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Cooper View Post
Jerry,

Why don't we move it to the main page? You're defending a wife beater, but I can't take the gloves off here. I just posted on this topic on Rest Day.

Good thought. This was going to get shut down pretty soon unless it moved back to athletics in some form.

Thanks, Barry.