CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 08-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #501
Chantal Brien

Profile:
Re: Chantal's Workout Log

It's been a while since I've posted because I was finally given clearance to ride a real bike outdoors this past week so I've been riding about 10km/day. I've also taken on looking after a foster dog from the humane society so I've been out and about walking her. None of the rides or walks were timed to help me avoid any temptation to push harder than I should. I'm really happy with how things are progressing. I slipped while walking on uneven ground the other day and I was able to regain my balance on my bad leg. It didn't feel as solid as my good leg doing so, but everything worked the way it should so I'm pleased - all the balancing and strengthening exercises seem to be paying off! On that note, here's what I've been up to the past couple days.

Saturday 21 AUG 10

Tried the C2 for the first time and was dissapointed to discover that it's painful for my knee as opposed to the regular pain that rowing inflicts. I ended up doing 20 min on the elliptical - resistance 4, incline 6 * 232 calories

Hamstring stretching/leg straightening

3 set of 30 sec single leg balancing on bosu ball (both sides)

2 sets of (10 standing side leg lifts right/10 standing front leg lifts/10 standing rear leg lifts/10 standing side leg lifts left) done with green physio band for added resistance

2 sets of 15 Wall squats (90 degrees) 15lb dumbbells* held for 10 sec at bottom. The phsio said I could up the weight as soon as I could do sets of 15 so I tried it and it all feels good.

3 sets of hamstring curls on physio ball

Sunday 22 AUG 10

Biked 5km in to the gym

20 min on the elliptical - resistance 6, incline 6 * 252 calories

2 sets of (10 standing side leg lifts right/10 standing front leg lifts/10 standing rear leg lifts/10 standing side leg lifts left) done with green physio band for added resistance

3 sets of 10 Wall squats (90 degrees) 20lb dumbbells* held for 10 sec at bottom.

45 min of swimming - this felt really good; I can get my heart rate up without hurting my knee. Someone even commented on how fast I was going!

bike 5km back to my house

This is the first time I've done this much activity in one day (I also took the foster doggy for 2 good walks and walked/took the bus to get my groceries for the week) and while I decided to ice as a preventative measure, my knee actually feels okay .
Old 09-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #502
Chantal Brien

Profile:

I'm in the middle of switching jobs and haven't made time to keep up with posting, but I'm making good progress. I've been cleared to start a walk/run program and am now up to running 2 min at a time (which is much better than the 30 sec at a time I started with). I've also been given the go-ahead to start lunges so long as I keep my bad leg forward. Workouts from the past 2 days were:

Saturday 04 SEP 10

30 min of walk/run program 3 min walk/2 min run x 6 - 13.5 laps of track in outside lane (approx 2.7 km)

3 sets of (10 standing side leg lifts right/10 standing front leg lifts/10 standing rear leg lifts/10 standing side leg lifts left) done with green physio band for added resistance

I attempted wall squats but I started getting shapr pain in my knee so I packed it in for the day. I need to speak with my physio when I see her on Tuesday because it seems that the squats, curls and lunges are too much on the days when I do my walk/run program...

Sunday 05 SEP 10

20 min on the elliptical - resistance 6, incline 6 * 240 calories

2 sets of (10 standing side leg lifts right/10 standing front leg lifts/10 standing rear leg lifts/10 standing side leg lifts left) done with green physio band for added resistance *done as sets of 20 because these are getting really easy

1 sets of 30 Wall squats (90 degrees) 20lb dumbbells* held for 10 sec at bottom. After yesterday I didn't want to go too heavy but I definately think it's time to up the weights on these

3 sets of lunges (right leg forward) held for 5 sec at bottom.

I do the walk/run program again tomorrow. If everything goes as planned I should be able to do the CO's unit run on the 30th - I'd be with the slow group, but still !
Old 09-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #503
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Hey Chantal
Seen you posting on others logs. Do you train with Andrew at Crossfit Kingston?

Have you lived there long? I grew up in Kingston and my profile pic is actually from this summer in my parents backyard in Kingston. Haven't lived there for a while now. But just thought I'd say hey.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #504
Chantal Brien

Profile:

Hi Jay, thanks for stopping by! I currently train in my garage and at the Kingston Military Community Sports Center byt I hope to get out to see Andrew soon. I've technically lived in Kingston since 2003 but as I'm in the military I haven't actually spent that much time there.

I haven't been posting regularly as my workouts haven't changed all that much and I was bored with posting almost the same thing every day, but in hindsight that was a mistake because I've made a lot of progress even though it's been slow coming. Most excitingly, today I was able to do the Commandant's 5km Run with my unit and I was able to keep pace with the medium running group . One of the girls had her Garmin on so I'll have to get the pace data from her, but regardless of what the pace ends up being, I'm stoked about being able to keep up with my peers.

In other exciting news, the physio has given me clearance to start gradually adding CrossFit workouts back into my training program provided I scale appropriately for my knee. The hamstring on my right leg is still really weak so I'll have to work around that and do some work to strengthen that specifically, but even given all those restrictions I'm really happy with this news.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:57 AM   #505
Chantal Brien

Profile:
Seven rounds for time of 10 10lb Wallballs/10 Jumping Pullups

Life has been crazy and consequently I've been terrible about posting, but I just finished a major project at work so I'm hoping that things will settle down and I'll have more time to post on here (among other things). I've switched to a 2/1/3/1 schedule because it fits better with my timings for work so I'm a bit offset from the mainpage. I'm not even going to try and bother posting what I've been up to but here's the WOD I did today:

Monday 25 OCT 10

7 rounds for time of 10 10lb Wallballs/10 Jumping Pullups
Round 1: 1:04
Round 2: 0:55
Round 3: 0:54
Round 4: 0:53
Round 5: 0:55
Round 6: 0:54
Round 7: 1:00
TOTAL: 6:39
Old 10-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #506
Chantal Brien

Profile:
Deadlift, OHS and 5km run

Tuesday 26 OCT 10

I thought about attempting the DL/OHS workout but as I was warming up it became apparent that my knee wasn't having a great day and so I opted to work on technique instead. I didn't keep track of sats/reps/weights but gradually worked my way up to 185 lbs for DL ( way off my previous lifts) and used the heaviest bodybar I could find to try some OHS. Long way to go on both these movements; especially the OHS as I'm having issues keeping my weight back far enough.

Wednesday 27 OCT 10

Rest day. Was still very sore from the wallball workout

Thursday 18 OCT 10

Time for another Commandant's Run. 4,6 km in 24 min on the trails in the training area. I ran with the medium group and found the pace a bit slow by times; I'm nowhere near ready to run with the gazelles yet though. I want to get there though...
Old 10-31-2010, 05:45 PM   #507
Chantal Brien

Profile:
AMRAP Wallball/Sit-ups/Back extensions and 5x5 Back Squat

Edit: The last workout on my previous entry was done on 28 OCT 10. Ooops!

Friday 29 OCT 10

Complete as many rounds as possible 20 minutes of:
10 Wallball shots, 20 pound ball subbed 14lb ball
10 GHD Sit-ups subbed Abmat situps
10 Back extensions done on swiss ball

Round 1: 1:10
Round 2: 1:07
Round 3: 1:21
Round 4: 1:18
Round 5: 1:22
Round 6: 1:15
Round 7: 1:30 (The wallballs killed me here, it felt like someone switched the ball out for one that weighed at least 50lbs)
Round 8: 1:16
Round 9: 1:17
Round 10: 1:14
Round 11: 1:30
Round 12 & 13: 2:44 combined
Round 14: 1:14
Round 15: 1:20
+ 4 wallballs in remaining time

Total 15 rounds + 4 wallballs

The gym where I workout has a GHD in the Combat Fitness area but my training partner wanted to use it so I subbed. Given how long it's been since I did a lot of GHD situps (they took my new ACL out of my hamstring) it probably would have been a bad idea to do the situps on GHD anyway. I like having a training partner for things like this; the battle royale to get the most rounds in made me work harder (and it was fun when I beat him even though the workout he was doing was harder).

Saturday 30 OCT 10

Rest day

Sunday 31 OCT 10

I was going to try a scaled down version of Wednesday's workout but when I got to the gym there was a military parade taking place in the fieldhouse (where the CrossFit area is). So I decided to make today a strength day and because I haven't done any weighted squats since my surgery I decided to see how a 5x5 felt.

Back Squat 5x5 75/95/115/115/105

I'm still a long way away from being able to throw my old weights on the bar but this felt good. My technique started to suffer a little on the second set of 115 so I dropped the weight for the final set. Once I get my garage cleaned out (post basement reno) I'll have to videotape myself and send it in to the forums for review.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #508
Chantal Brien

Profile:
30 Clean & Jerk for time

Monday 01 NOV 10

I hadn't tried C&J since surgery so I played around with weights to find something that would work for this workout. I got up to 95lbs before settling on 65 as a good weight for this. I tried squat cleans in my warmup but shifted to power cleans after the first 3 reps in the workout after my knee sent some very clear signals that it wasn't down with repeated power cleans just yet... especially not after squatting yesterday.

30 65lb Power Cleans for time 6:56

Mad respect for Camille's time after trying this one!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:31 AM   #509
Chantal Brien

Profile:
5x(5 handstand pushup progressions/10 box dips/10 burpee pullups)

Tuesday 02 NOV 10

When I saw the workout below on the mainpage I knew there was going to be some serious scaling...
Five rounds for time of:
3 Muscle-up Handstand push-ups
10 Burpee pull-ups

I did five rounds for time of:
5 handstand progressions on box
10 dips on box with feet out in from of me
10 burpee pullups (I tried a couple regular burpees but they caused sharp pain in my knee so I steped back and up instead of jumping)

Round 1: 2:01
Round 2: 2:42
Round 3: 3:16
Round 4: 3:31
Round 5: 3:49
Total 15:21

This sucked progressively more as it went on... as evidenced by my time... and the fact the I had issues lifting my arms up to shampoo my hair when I was trying to get cleaned up to throw a uniform on...
Old 11-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #510
Chantal Brien

Profile:
Barbara

Wednesday 04 NOV 10

Snatches as per the mainpage WOD are still a no-go for my knee so I did Barbara today. I subbed jumping pullups for regular ones, did some pushups from my feet but most from my knees, unanchored situps and regular air squats. Times as follows:

Round 1: 5:02
Round 2: 6:17
Round 3: 5:43

I had wanted to try for 5 rounds but both my knee and my body had had enough at the end of round 3 so I called it. I'm really frusterated with pushups right now because they still hurt my knee, and since the regular modification of doing them from the knees bothers my injury as well, I'm having trouble maintaining my ability to do them. I've been doing dips on the edges of chairs and plyo boxes but it doesn't seem to be helping my pushup skills . I wouldn't normally care about any one exercise so much but I have to do my military PT test as soon as I am medically fit and pushups play a big role in that...