CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 01-06-2008, 07:22 AM   #11
Theresa Meyer

Profile:
Re: UC Berkeley

How far is Berkeley from the Travis AFB area?
Old 01-06-2008, 10:34 AM   #12
David Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa Meyer View Post
How far is Berkeley from the Travis AFB area?
Not close . . . Travis is up closer to Sacramento, or UC Davis.

My own experience as a Cal grad (go Bears!) has been that the RSF sucked for CF workouts. I've been back several times over the years as an alumni, paid the fee for a workout, and then driven the staff into a panic when I started doing power cleans (God forbid I tried to do snatches and actually put a weight over my head . . . they would have had a stroke).

Cal always had outstanding aquatic facilities, and the hills above campus make for some fabulous running. But the weights were always poor . . . not in quality, just in access and attitude.

Turning on cranky old guy mode: It was actually better way back in the 70's, before the RSF, when the weight room was just a dark corner of the Harmon gym . . . at least they didn't care if you dropped a weight.

I didn't have the smarts to work directly with the sports teams, which might have given me access to better facilities . . . but I did take every PE class I could. In my time there, that meant incredible athletic coaching, available to anyone who signed up.

For what it's worth, I took Greco-Roman wrestling with Bill Martell (US Olympic coach), gymnastics with Hal Frey (US Olympic coach) and Sho Fukushima (Japanese Olympian and Danish Olympic coach), water polo from Pete Cutino (US Olympic coach) . . . the list goes on.

Interestingly enough, Berkeley gives the average student the opportunity to learn from both Olympic coaches, and Nobel Prize winners (in my day, I had Arrow, DeBreau, and Harsanyi . . .) and the coaches were all better teachers.

I know it will cost . . . but CF Oakland is your better bet than the RSF, unless they've had a brain transplant at Cal. Work out a work-study, clean the gym, do what it takes. Mike Minium is one outstanding guy.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #13
Austin Peck

Profile:

Hey Aaron,

I'm going to be starting cal as a spring admit freshman in about 8 days lol, so if our schedules work out we can hook up and try and get something going? I've already kind of talked with David about his bad experiences at the rec center, and would prefer to work out at CF oakland, but the money is going to be an issue for me as well.

I might be trying to make the B squad for rugby (I just started playing this year and have only played 4 games lol), but maybe that will give me access to some better weights and what not.

Anyway, if you wanna hit me up and try and get together PM me or something.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:37 PM   #14
Aaron Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Peck View Post
Hey Aaron,

I'm going to be starting cal as a spring admit freshman in about 8 days lol, so if our schedules work out we can hook up and try and get something going? I've already kind of talked with David about his bad experiences at the rec center, and would prefer to work out at CF oakland, but the money is going to be an issue for me as well.

I might be trying to make the B squad for rugby (I just started playing this year and have only played 4 games lol), but maybe that will give me access to some better weights and what not.

Anyway, if you wanna hit me up and try and get together PM me or something.
Cool! I sent you a PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:46 PM   #15
David Wood

Profile:

I don't know if they still have it there, but there used to be a small weightroom in the Hearst Gym . . . it was only open limited hours, but it was always quiet, with no "supervisors", and very few users. I didn't know about CrossFit back then, but I did a lot of my training in that gym . . . there were less annoyances.

It was always easier to get a lane at the Hearst pool, too.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:18 AM   #16
Aaron Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wood View Post
I don't know if they still have it there, but there used to be a small weightroom in the Hearst Gym . . . it was only open limited hours, but it was always quiet, with no "supervisors", and very few users. I didn't know about CrossFit back then, but I did a lot of my training in that gym . . . there were less annoyances.

It was always easier to get a lane at the Hearst pool, too.
Cool David, I'll check that out! Thanks for the tip!