CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-03-2008, 09:33 AM   #1
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Donating Blood Before WOD

I am scheduled to donate blood this Saturday about 2 hours before I am to go do a WOD in the park. I dont want to miss either appointment as they are both equally important to me. Has anyone had any experience with working out after a blood donation? Ive given blood at least 5 times in the past and I have never had any problems with activities after the donation. This would be a little more intense though.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2008, 09:40 AM   #2
Andy Wagner

Profile:
Re: Donating Blood Before WOD

Nick

I typically don't do a WOD after giving blood. I wait for approx. 24 hours. I would like to hear of other crossfitter's experiences with this.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
Dave Matteson

Profile:

If I can arrange it enough in advance, I try to give blood on one of my rest days. Only once did I attempt a WOD on the same day as giving blood, about 4 hours later. It was Cindy, and I got 6 less rounds than my previous attempt. I also nearly threw up afterwards and didn't feel much better until the next morning.

While everyone is different, I would recommend not doing a WOD after giving blood. Your metabolic capacity is sufficiently limited, and if you're doing something heavy, you're more likely to blackout. If anything, do a WOD a bit before giving blood (only if you can shower first ) and you'll probably pump out the pint a little faster.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:

Wow, if you wanted to make sure that you passed out, giving blood before a WOD is the way to do it. Skip the WOD or skip the donation. Don't be silly.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:38 AM   #5
Theresa Meyer

Profile:

I never workout after donating blood. It's not worth the risk of injury because I might pass out. Being a pint or two low can have some effect on performance, but it can also be dangerous. Am I tempted to work out? Of course! I got lightheaded once while donating, so I really don't mess around anymore.

Good to hear that people donate blood. They are always calling my house looking for people to donate, and I find so many people are scared or unwilling to do so.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

I'd say I'd have to agree with everyone saying don't do it.

Mainly because even if you do workout your performance is significantly limited that it's not going to stress adaptions in your muscles or metabolic systems. So there's no point in really doing a workout hard unless you wanted to pass out... because it's not doing much for your body otherwise.

Plus, missing one workout out of ~270 per year isn't going to affect you much if at all.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

Hmmm . . . I probably don't work out as hard as other people here, but I've done this probably 5 or 6 times over the years (donated blood, then done a same-day workout). Never passed out.

I don't doubt that my work capacity was reduced on those days. No PRs. But I still enjoyed the work, and, honestly, wouldn't NOT do it. I just wouldn't try for, or expect, a world-beating performance.

If you have to skip one, skip the WOD . . . we need more blood donors.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
Nick Cruz

Profile:

Ok, so I did it anyways. Though, not because I was ignoring advice but by the time I had gone in to donate and then work out (an hour after donating) I hadnt seen any of the above posts.

I was super aware of what my body felt like during the WOD (21, 15, 12, 9, 6, 3 of alternating lunges - 21 per side etc - and pushups.) I probably worked out at 75 - 80% of my normal capacity completing the WOD in 11 minutes and change because I didnt want to pass out or something worse. At times I thought I felt a headache or maybe a bit dizzy, I wasnt sure if it was just me being extra paranoid. I was more concerned with my arm hole blowing a leak or something =)

Probably NOT the smartest thing I could have done but I have missed a few WOD's and I am still here breathing.

By the way, in regards to donating. Im glad that I am now on their call list so I can make sure I donate when I can. I am AB+ though, and I think only other AB people can use my blood.

Thanks for the advice, I will make sure and fix my scheduling next time.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
Dave Matteson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Cruz View Post
I am AB+ though, and I think only other AB people can use my blood.
Yup, but hey, it's one more pint of desperately needed blood. On the other end of the needle, with your blood type, you can receive any type of blood. What blood banks sometimes do is instead of using AB+ whole blood (since it would go to a limited population), they separate it into different parts. Unlike your whole blood, your plasma is considered the "universal donor" type, and is great for people with bleeding problems.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

From what I understand, your body quickly replaces the fluid lost while giving blood. Although the total blood cells are lower for a time (not sure how long), the actual fluid volume in circulation in your system goes back up to normal pretty quick I think.