CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 12-14-2007, 08:38 PM   #1
Bryant A Buchanan

Profile:
I'm having surgery

On The 19th I am having my carotid artery cleaned out and a stent placed in it in San Antonio at Lackland AFB. I am wondering how long will this surgery keep me out of action. I don't really think I need the stint but the DOCs think this is the cause of my problem I have been having.

From what I understand they are going to insert some kind of tube into my groin and push it up through my carotid artery and clean it out and if need be place a stent in there.

Also what does this mean for my military career am I going to be able to run I am tired of power walking and I can't earn an APFT badge by walking, well is anyone familiar with this?

This link is work and family safe:
http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/h...artery-disease

Last edited by Bryant A Buchanan : 12-14-2007 at 08:43 PM. Reason: added link
Old 12-18-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Steven Rogers

Profile:
Re: I'm having surgery

A friend of mine had this done a few weeks ago. It helped him a great deal, but he's a civilian.

I would expect that you could increase your exercise intensity upon recovery, but clear it with your docs.

Talk to your commander or First Shirt as well as your physician about the impact on your military career. It probably depends upon your AFSC, and you may need a waiver of some sort.

Good luck!

# Steve
Old 12-19-2007, 10:08 PM   #3
Bryant A Buchanan

Profile:
Re: I'm having surgery

Well I just got from Lackland. They didn't end up doing the surgery instead gave me an diagnostic angiogram. I am on convalescent leave for a few weeks and will resume working out when the area that they cut heals up which may be a week or two. So I think I'm just going to concentrate on my diet. I got a cut into each side of my groin so that rules out running, riding, or fast walking for me. So for the next two weeks or so I may just lurk.

I have a followup and I hope at the followup they decide if they are going to do surgery or try and make anything happen. I'm upset at the fact they said they were going to do this and that and didn't end up doing anything so to me it seem's like I'm still at the same point except this time a have a sore groin.