CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-25-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
Brad Gilliatt

Profile:
Functional Strength Example -

Driving thru town yesterday I saw an old man lying on the ground - he couldn't get up. I pulled over. By the time I got to him, three woman were pulling his arms trying to get him up to his feet. (he had a knee replacement, he tripped, he didn't have support to get up).

Any way, the three woman are yanking on his arms, more like pulling him down the sidewalk than lifting him up. I walked behind him, went to a perfect squat, arms gently around his chest and then lifted him straight-up!

One woman said, "wow, this man is strong!" Huge ego boost!!!

Thank you CF!
Old 10-25-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Functional Strength Example -

Strong don't mean nothing!

Coming to the aid of a man who has fallen and can't get it up is what it's all about.

Bravo!
Old 10-25-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
Matt Harris

Profile:

You forgot to mention he weighed three times your bodyweight. Nicely done. And I agree that a huge benefit to CF is to see how often it impacts upon your daily life. Great for lugging the kiddies around like they're nothing.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
Thomas Covington

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Harris View Post
And I agree that a huge benefit to CF is to see how often it impacts upon your daily life.
This is one of several things that keeps people hooked on CF. Now for my example I park 1/2 mile from my job and before I started CF it took me approximately 8 minutes to walk it in the early morning. Last time I timed it (after 4 months of CF) it was down to 5:30.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Brad,
I commend you. It is for this very reason that I train so hard. It's an adjunct to my sports training, but being able to help when I can and play a full day with my young daughters is the over riding goal.

Good work!!!!

All the best,
Arden
Old 10-25-2007, 06:38 PM   #6
Brad Gilliatt

Profile:

Thanks Guys!

Come on CF'ers, what have you been able to do that either surprised you or just left a little smile on your face!
Old 10-25-2007, 07:20 PM   #7
Bart Kennedy

Profile:

My fiancee loves it when I pick her up or swing her around, and it's a piece of cake thanks to CF. Functional strength indeed.

She also tells me that I'm turning into Superman, and now she's started doing some scaled WOD's with me because she sees the hugely positive effect it's had on me.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:25 AM   #8
Jan Bester

Profile:

Although I don't and know crossfit doesn't condone violence, a couple of days ago I had an incident where someone tried to apprehend me. Instead of punching or running away, I proceeded to grab the guy by the collar, and lift him up, while at the same time pushing forward and up (combination of a clean/snatch and a thruster) the result being that I basically threw him through the air a couple of metres.. And then I just walked away- my point proven..

I had a similar incident before when I was younger, and when confronted I wasn't confident enough in myself to stand up for myself- I ended up being cornered in a dark, remote area and having to give the guy a lot of money.

Although i've been building up my strength for a while, I definately feel like all the focus on "power" in the past few weeks on crossfit and the mental toughness I've built up contributed to me being able to stand up for myself whilst not inflicting any serious harm on myself or the other guy..
Old 10-26-2007, 10:26 AM   #9
David Plakos

Profile:

same idea last month as the first post. driving by with the relatives, i saw an older gentleman fell getting out of his car at a kinkos. he had decided to go home, but couldn't get back up into his car to drive off. was about 6'4", 250. another man of similar weight couldn't pick help him up. so i told my mom-in-law to pull over, got out, picked him up, put him in his car, put his fallen shoe back on (extra mile, baby), and sent the big guy on his way.

as sean said, it's about being able to do something. could be helping out someone, moving that huge couch, etc. of course, enjoying the process (admit it, folks, we actually enjoy our suffering) isn't bad, either.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:24 PM   #10
Timothy Ratte

Profile:

Today my wife and I were taking part in an iron sculpting event at the university here. We were part of a crew firing a furnace and pouring molten iron into art students' molds.

My wife got a drop of hot iron in her glove which burned her hand and another student started running her to the infirmary. I jumped off the ladle crew and ran after her (in most of my heavy swede foundry gear).

I called my coach to tell him I would not be attending our 5:00 workout because of the medical situation and I said, "But at least I got in an 800 meter run getting her to emergency care."

Without missing a beat, he says, "Yeah, what was your time?"

How freakin' CrossFit is THAT?!