CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 05-25-2007, 03:10 PM   #31
Celio Silva

Profile:
Yeah man, Chuck's training is very Crossfit-like. Boxers also train Crossfit style.

As a martial artist and a practicioner of other sports who have spent the past years rather sedentary, on my recent return to sports & exercizing I ran into CF and it became an instant fit to my style. As a young athlete I was in great shape by simply doing sports and exercising CF style, without even bothering stepping into a gym.

If you're an athlete, CF-type workouts are the real deal! I am so glad to have found this community.

Here is a sample of Lidell's regimen from an article on Sports Illustrated:

Rowin' and Rasslin'

In a standard rowing machine, start with knees bent and bare feet strapped into footrests. Row 800 meters in less than 2 1/2 minutes. Roll off machine and onto adjacent mat. Wrestle opponent for 2 1/2 minutes. Rest one minute. Five sets.

Hackleman: "The machine works mainly the legs but also the lats. By the time he finishes 800 meters and wrestles, he's exhausted -- it simulates how tired he'd be in a fight. To make it worse, I'll have him start wrestling on his back and fight his way to the top of his opponent."

Hammer Time

Grip a 16-pound sledgehammer with left hand by base of handle and right hand halfway up. With knees bent, swing hammer above right shoulder and down onto a 300-pound tire with a steady rhythm. 100 reps.

Hackleman: "I call this the Earnie Shavers [after the boxer] -- he told me about this drill. It's for punching power, and [Shavers] was one of the hardest punchers. The motion simulates an overhand right, the most common punch for knockouts. It's mainly for shoulder strength, but the core also gets worked.

Wheelbarrow

Place 275 pounds of free weights in a standard wheelbarrow. Grip wheelbarrow handles and sprint 100 yards up a 10-degree incline. Turn and run down, still holding wheelbarrow in front of you. One-minute rest. Three round trips.

Hackleman: "It takes endurance and leg strength to push that weight up the hill, but it's a killer for your grip and shoulders going down. Down is just as important because in ultimate fighting you constantly use those muscles to pull your opponent to the mat or off of you."

Pit Wall Ball

Stand six feet away from wooden beam. Bend down, pick up a 125-pound medicine ball and raise it to chest height. Throw ball at beam by pushing arms straight out in front of you. Must bounce back at least three feet, or else repeat rep. Five reps is one set. One-minute rest. Five sets.

Hackleman: "This is for punching power. Just picking up the 125 pounds is killer, but I need him to throw it with power as well. This primarily builds up his shoulder muscles."

Old 05-26-2007, 11:53 AM   #32
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
Remember - vegas odds are made in order to draw equal money for both sides - that's how the house always wins. Do not confuse vegas odds with "this guy's the favorite" - it has nothing to do with that. That's why the odds shift as the fight approaches, because of the amounts wagered. Oddsmakers will make someone a 3/1 favorite, or a 5/3 favorite in order to draw the amount needed for each side. It's the same thing with point spreads.

It's also the same reason you couldn't even place a bet for Tyson-Douglas (although I read on Wikipedia the Mirage was giving 42-1 for Douglas. Someone who bet 10G on that hit the lottery.) Just, FYI.

I like Chuck's "style" and how he'll fight anyone; he's a fighter's fighter. But I think Rampage is a tough matchup for him. I think what will be disappointing is a quick one-punch knockout by either guy, because it won't prove much. Although, that really is the way it is - on any night, one or the other could land the "big" one, and it's fight over. I would be surprised if either guy "dominates" the other. But you never know - plus, you can't fake stamina. We'll know if someone wasn't trained up very quickly, IMO.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:46 PM   #33
Timothy Cox

Profile:
Looks like Vegas was wrong, and we ended up with that one punch knockout......well sort of. The first hit wasn't that solid, but it was enough to rock Chuck, then Rampage just pounded him into the mat. I was banking on Rampage, but I didn't think it would be that quick.

There were some great fights tonight. Karo looked amazing as usual. That guy is as talented as they come in MMA. Loads of potential. He never dissappoints.

The highlight of my night was when Din Thomas(I think it was him) called out Mayweather. Classic.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:38 AM   #34
James Besenyei

Profile:
UFC 71--Night of the Brawlers. That fight was horrendous to watch. Rampage beat Chuck fair and square, and obviously has his number, but I'm always dissapointed when I wait so long for a fight only to have it end like that. Good job Rampage, you'll lose your next fight.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:18 AM   #35
William Hunter

Profile:
A little disappointed that it ended so fast, but what can you say? Rampage got the flash knockout and capitolized. I wonder if he's in Chuck's head after this one. Chuck looked thoroughly confused coming up off the floor.

Wow! Karo/Burkman was a war! That first judo throw was out of control. Burkman showed tremendous heart and conditioning, just a little off with those right hands, but he was throwing with murderous intent.

Timothy, I totally agree about Din Thomas. That was an awesome call out. I don't always care too much about hype, but it's good to know that fighters from both sports are paying attention, and I'm glad to see the pot get stirred some more.

The Dean of Mean may not get tenure after that performance. I'm thinking he landed that one punch and figured he had the guy on his way out. Looked like he got lifted up off the floor with one of those uppercuts.

Maybe Chuck's picture shouldn't go up on the mainpage the day of his next fight?
Old 05-27-2007, 07:27 AM   #36
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
"Maybe Chuck's picture shouldn't go up on the mainpage the day of his next fight?"

Or he could work on keeping his hands up in some form of guard.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:07 AM   #37
Timothy Cox

Profile:
"Good job Rampage, you'll lose your next fight."

Speaking of his next fight, who do you guys think it'll be? Dan Henderson/Rampage will be a brawl. I'm waiting for the day when Shogun comes to the UFC. He can beat anyone in that weight division, and certainly dismantled Rampage before, although Rampage came out very flat in that fight.

There's so many good fights to look forward to in every weight division.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:28 AM   #38
William John

Profile:
That fight was terrible, I can't believe Chuck got KOed from a punch like that. Rampage jumped up took his feet of the ground and use only his arm to throw that punch. I think MMA fighters need to start training actually boxing not this MMA style brawling where they throw loopy arm punches and haymakers, a decent boxing would have slipped that punch and countered him.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:51 AM   #39
Peter Queen

Profile:
I think MMA fighters need to start training actually boxing not this MMA style brawling where they throw loopy arm punches and haymakers, a decent boxing would have slipped that punch and countered him.

I agree to a point William, but remember boxing requires a totally different style in approach when facing your opponent. Boxing skills are important but MMA is just that....MMA! The gameplan is different and true boxing form cannot directly apply because you will always have to be on guard against flying elbows, knees and of course the take down.

Anyway, I called it when I said that it would not go 3 rounds and it would be the standup game (TKO or KO not a submission) that would be the deciding factor.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:00 AM   #40
William Hunter

Profile:
LOL Matthew. You're right, adequate defense would go further than superstition.

I have no combat training myself and always find it fascinating that many fighters can take numerous hard shots all over the head and still go on, but one well placed shot to the chin, even with terrible leverage as Wm John pointed out, can put a guy to sleep. I know from a neurological point of view that the TMJ is one of the most highly innervated areas in the body, with a rich bed of proprioceptors, but what exactly is the reasoning behind the apparent ease with which guys get KO'd? Jardine was getting clobbered repeatedly, but then that short upper cut, right on the chin, dropped him like a stone, with his mouthpiece getting ejected across the octagon.

Anyone care to enlighten me?