CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 06-26-2005, 07:04 PM   #11
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I think you are overthinking it, Yoni. Sure not everyone might get the fastest times because they have to wait or they might not work with the Rx'ed weight because there aren't enough bar/dumbbells. However, I think that if you organize the workouts properly, everyone will work HARD and get results and have sense of comraderie. Furthermore, I think people will tend to work harder when they are in groups and have people cheering them on. You generally see people banging out a few more reps and resting less when people are around screaming and waiting for the station you're at. We don't live in an ideal world...you have to make do with what you have.

Keith
Old 06-27-2005, 07:21 AM   #12
Yoni Ellman

Profile:

Court and Keith,
Thank you for your responses, but I really think this is a VERY important question, and I have yet to hear a valid answer.
I am not discussing this in refernce to the NY crossfit, but in refernce to opening a formal facility.

Jeff, I'd love to see some of your

Does HQ or any of the other locations limit class size?
How can they have paying members just sit on the side and wait?

Lincoln - you mentioned that at Brand X ppl will vie for the better equipment. Have there been any members who have left Brand X b/c of the lack of equip?

Jeff, I'd love to see some of your workouts...
Old 06-28-2005, 04:03 PM   #13
Mikki Lee Martin

Profile:
Not yet !
to the Brand x question of losing people)
Although there is sometimes frustration with waiting we keep a constant wish list and add a few items each month to our most needed equipment- we have been running CrossFit classes since June 2004 and have doubled our equipment ( broken some too!) in that time. usual class size is 25-35.
However all of the above input is good- team workouts, counters, cheering & jeering, staggering and equipment scaleability all will come into play and help you- Don't worry too much
It will all work out because CROSSFIT is such good stuff - that people will wait (puke breaks are necessary too) - the incredible progress that they make, the sense of community, all of it will make these concerns minor. Good Luck to you !
Old 07-02-2005, 07:22 PM   #14
Yoni Ellman

Profile:

Wow,
I feel like the newest CFJ was written to answer my questions and the questions of many others on this forum, looking to start up a facility and having many questions.
Thanks Coach and Lauren - you guys have answered a bunch of questions!
Old 07-09-2005, 12:36 PM   #15
Zach Even - Esh

Profile:
I normally have 3 people in my garage at one time. Yesterday, two brothers showed an hour early, we had 5 guys going at once and it kicked *** man! They did deads, followed by pull ups, followed by swings - they had some rest after their third exercise which was needed!

after that we did all partner exercises for 5 or 6 minute rounds:
- sand bag clean and press
- 1 arm KB cleans
- sit ups & push ups - no rest between exercises here

---------------

I have done the same with sleds - I used to have 3 sleds, so we set up stations

station 1 had sleds
station 2 had KB's

sleds had to drag forwards and backwards across a field, then they switched to the KB station

KB stations did the following exercises:
clean and press x 5 reps
squats x 8 reps
swings x 10 reps
1 arm rows x 6 reps

they kept doing KB work until someone finished a sled and then they switched

you can always use bw as a station and jumping rope or jogging - jogging and BW exercises are FREE :-)

---------

can't wait to get a warehouse - we'll be loving it :-)

hope some of these ideas helped!

--zach :-)
Old 07-11-2005, 12:20 PM   #16
Court Wing

Profile:
Keith, we've been invalidated!:rofl: