CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-12-2005, 12:41 PM   #11
Tom Brose

Profile:
One thing that I don't think has been (explicitly) covered is the concept of community.

I myself am hoping to start a Crossfit, but I am working through a different process. Some of the questions you have asked are covered in the recent CF Journal. Get familiar with all the "open source" info CF has to offer, meet up with some people in your area etc. I have gone on the board to find people doing CF in my area, and am building up some contacts.

I think there is a process of paying your dues involved, not financially, but through the ongoing evolution of CF. Coach has noted (at April cert., and I'm sure other times) that this thing has grown way beyond him, Santa Cruz HQ, the WOD, etc. It is a communiy based grass roots, constantly adapting community. I doubt that whatever someones qualifications are, they would be accepted as an affiliate without being involved in that process.

Of course, this is just my observation. The hint dropped before is to ask Coach directly. I would venture that the more basic research done ahead would be valuable.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:46 PM   #12
Tom Brose

Profile:
Hey Boaz, are you and Yoni one and the same person? You both have "gemdy1@..." email adresses, just differt providers.

If so, I'd look into a Curves franchise first...
Old 07-12-2005, 01:00 PM   #13
Yoni Ellman

Profile:

No... I think someone just copied my email info to make another profile. I'm not sure who Boaz is. I just posted here b/c it looked like a good topic to ask my question.

I dont think you even adressed my question Tom-unless you were refering to "Boaz"

I read the recent CFJ as well as many past issues and it doesnt really explain this.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:14 PM   #14
Tom Brose

Profile:
Yoni,
glad to hear its not you double posting. My answers were responding to Boaz. I will give input to your ?s ASAP> Thanks
Old 07-12-2005, 03:30 PM   #15
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
So, "Yoni," why would someone pick your email, out of all of the emails in the world, to copy and make another profile?
Old 07-12-2005, 06:12 PM   #16
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
PS, "Boaz" has been suspended for removing his email and location from his profile.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:22 PM   #17
Yoni Ellman

Profile:

Why am I being called "Boaz"? I posted a simple question on this topic and now I get accused of double posting... I have been around crossfit for about a year, posting on and off since then..
Lynne - I went to the initial start-up for CFNYC- you can ask them if I exist.

I just asked a simple question-

Perhaps someone could help:
Ok, maybe I am naive about starting a facility and making money, but lets play with the numbers a little.

Revenue - 30 members paying $150 a month for crossfit (as most of the facilities are charging) = $4500/month

Expenses - $35 per hour to pay a trainer (or staff) to coach the crossfit class. Lets say we have 2 classes a day for those 30 members to come = $2100/month ($35*2*30days=2100)

That leaves only $2400 to pay for the facility, equip, insurance… Seems like a break-even or loosing opportunity. How do some facilities actually make some money on this? Remember, I only budgeted for one coach to watch 15 crossfitters each session.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:29 PM   #18
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Yep, you exist. You didn't answer MY question though. It's not nice to blow off moderator questions, especially if you are legit.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:44 AM   #19
Yoni Ellman

Profile:

Lynne:
Didnt mean to blow off your Question. I have no idea why someone would pick my email. Perhaps he saw it in another thread.. I really have no clue. Maybe someone I know is playing a joke. I have no idea. Sorry...
Old 07-14-2005, 01:44 PM   #20
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
I don't have the answers to your questions, but I have a couple observations.

Your calculations include 60 hypothetical classes a month (2 per day for 30 days) for your 30 total hypothetical members. That's a lot. Three times a week (or even 4) for each group of 15 people should suffice. What would that be—around 24 classes a month? Try the math with some of that in mind and see how it looks.

I wouldn't think of a CF gym as a income-generator for a gym owner who just owns and runs the place, has employees do the training, and reaps the profits. (See the comment about Curves above.) The model that makes more sense to me is to use the necessary part of the monthly income to have the gym to pay for itself (and, fortunately, we're not going to need acres of leg extension machines & treadmills here) and then the rest of the money goes to the people who work with clients--a group that, I assume, includes the gym "owner."

Even in your model, the trainer made $2100 for the month, which sounds ok to me for a 2-hour workday. (Maybe my question should be "Are you hiring?" :wink:)

Think outside the (big) box.

$.02