CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 06-16-2005, 12:08 PM   #1
Boaz Green

Profile:  
I am very intrested in the ideas and concepts of crossfit (yes I am a crossfitter), and am thinking of opening a "crossfit" facility, but had a bunch of questions which dont seem to be adressed on other parts of the web site:

1 - How do you become a "crossfit" club? Do you have to pay membership dues? Can anyone become a crossfit club (assuming they follow a similar style)? Is their a franchise fee? What are the fees?

2 - Are the various crossfit clubs linked? Besides this web site are they linked in terms of ownership... or is it just a group of clubs using the same style/techniques?

3 - What is Coach Glassmans background?
Old 06-16-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
Russ Thornton

Profile:
Boaz,

Check out the following link to another thread about starting a Crossfit "group" in NYC. Maybe some good local contact for you there.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/4680/11067.html

Cheers,

Russ
Old 06-16-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
Boaz Green

Profile:  
Thanks Russ, but I am really looking for some very specific answers to the above questions.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:11 PM   #4
Russ Thornton

Profile:
I'm sure someone with 1st hand knowledge of opening a CF facility will chime in with some details.

I would also suggest searching the message boards -- there might be some answers to your questions hidden in there.

Good luck with it.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:04 PM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

Boaz:

Have you considered following the "Contact Us" link on the main page?

Seriously, one way to get answers to your first question is:

a) Contact Coach and/or Lauren
b) Attend a certification seminar (maybe two or three).
c) Become known. Demonstrate that you're a reliable, intelligent guy who can represent CrossFit well.

The answers to most of your questions will depend on how well you do on a), b), and c).

(Oh, and, welcome to CrossFit!)

Dave
Old 06-17-2005, 09:55 AM   #6
David Werner

Profile:
Introduce yourself to Gregg and Lauren Glassman. The discussion that follows will answer your questions. It is not enough to "follow a similar style".

Regards
Dave Werner
Crossfit North
Old 06-18-2005, 05:42 AM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I've got an idea churning around regarding using a facility part time. I'm going to pow wow with some mid-west CFers next weekend, go to the next seminar and talk to Coach and Lauren, take some meetings, do lunch, you know all that business stuff. I really love Crossfit and it would not be a business for me but a mission. I don't need the money, just want to spread the concept, I truly believe Crossfit is the future of athletic and healthful training. Sales works if you buy into the product. All successful Crossfit facilities are run by passionate, knowledgable, very "Crossfit" individuals, these guys walk the walk. If your doing it for the money, your in the wrong place (although with the right person running a facility, the concept cannot fail). Just my thoughts with no experience running a facility.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:45 PM   #8
Boaz Green

Profile:  
Coach/Lauren/Others:
Maybe I should explain myself a bit better as I have yet to recieve any real responses or answers.
I am intrested in opening a full blown crossfit location in the Northeast. I am sold on the ideas and concepts of crossfit, but dont really understand the business model. How does a facility become a "crossfit facility"? Do we just need to win your "approval" or are there fees?
How does one become a "crossfit coach"? I understand that this is your highest level certification, but what does it take to acheive this? Is there a set path, or again is it just given to individuals you "approve" of?

I am not trying to sound antagonistic, I want to spread the ideas of crossfit and true fitness, but I do have a family to support and want to do it right. In planning I am trying to understand the various steps and procedures...
Old 06-19-2005, 07:41 PM   #9
David Wood

Profile:

Boaz:

You're not likely to get much better answers (on this board) than what you already have (hint: two different moderators have suggested you contact Coach and Lauren directly).

Neither Coach, Lauren, nor (most) other affiliates are on the boards all that much (for a lot of reasons, including not having a lot of time!).

I doubt you're going to get a full treatise here (partly because different affiliates have followed different routes to that status). But all the possible routes include introducing yourself directly to Coach.

If you haven't tried that yet, I'd suggest you try it.

As far as the "business model" goes, most affiliates make their money through a combination of classes and one-on-one training. Some have their own facilities, some "borrow" or rent space in other facilities (most have started out that way). Martial arts studios generally seem to be *much* more amenable to doing this than traditional gyms (especially the fern-and-mirror type), which are threatened by what CrossFit represents.

There have been a number of threads on the board discussing the minimum and ideal equipment setups for doing CrossFit. A bit of research will help you there.

As you may have guessed, CrossFit isn't a turnkey franchise operation where you pay your fee and someone comes in and sets you up with an operation.

Who you are, your own attitude, knowledge, and resourcefullnes, and the quality of your commitment, will matter more than any particular amount of fees you pay.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:38 AM   #10
Yoni Ellman

Profile:

(this looked like an appropriate thread)
Ok, maybe I am naive about starting a facility and making money, but lets play with the numbers a little.

Revenue - 30 members paying $150 a month for crossfit (as most of the facilities are charging) = $4500/month

Expenses - $35 per hour to pay a trainer (or staff) to coach the crossfit class. Lets say we have 2 classes a day for those 30 members to come = $2100/month ($35*2*30days=2100)

That leaves only $2400 to pay for the facility, equip, insurance… Seems like a break-even or loosing opportunity. How do some facilities actually make some money on this? Remember, I only budgeted for one coach to watch 15 crossfitters each session.