CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
Chris Hall

Profile:
Corn and Carrots

So, hope this doesn't sound dumb... Is eating corn bad...like bread bad? I'm having trouble finding info on the nutritional benefits and reasons why I haven't seen much corn/ carrot info in the boards/ journals.

Should I eat it? If not, any ideas for a packed lunch veggie (all I have as options now is raw broccoli, carrots, celery and peanut/ almond butter) to fill the stomach? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:50 AM   #2
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Corn and Carrots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hall View Post
So, hope this doesn't sound dumb... Is eating corn bad...like bread bad? I'm having trouble finding info on the nutritional benefits and reasons why I haven't seen much corn/ carrot info in the boards/ journals.

Should I eat it? If not, any ideas for a packed lunch veggie (all I have as options now is raw broccoli, carrots, celery and peanut/ almond butter) to fill the stomach? Thanks in advance.
All fruit and vegetables provides us with essential nutrients in varying amounts so it's a good idea to eat a wide variety of them rather than restrict your choices based on what you perceive to be the most nutritious option.

Here's some information on the health benefits of carrots and corn -

Whfoods.com - Carrots.

WHfoods.com - Corn.

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 01-19-2011 at 04:54 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:04 AM   #3
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Corn is a grain, I wouldn't eat it as your only "vegetable" every day but you shouldn't be eating the same thing every day anyway for the reasons Darryl posted above. If you eat a lot of corn, it might be good to cut it out for awhile then add it back in to see if it really has an affect on you. Most people around here don't eat it every day but are all about corn on the cob, especially in summer. Delicious.

Carrots are a really good source of dense nutrients and carbohydrates, so go for it.

Any reason you are limited to the veggies you listed? There's also cauliflower, cucumber, celery, snap peas, tomatoes.....and you can really cook anything and bring it for lunch.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
All fruit and vegetables provides us with essential nutrients in varying amounts so it's a good idea to eat a wide variety of them rather than restrict your choices based on what you perceive to be the most nutritious option.

Here's some information on the health benefits of carrots and corn -

Whfoods.com - Carrots.

WHfoods.com - Corn.
Links in this post are wfs.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
Greg Harrington

Profile:

I don't eat corn, but thought this was interesting when I read it. Its from Geoff Bond "Deadly Harvest"

Note that we include “baby” sweet corn as a good salad vegetable. Unlike its mature form, the grains in baby corn have not yet formed and it is neither starchy nor glycemic.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:27 AM   #6
Chris Hall

Profile:

Thanks all, seeing the related posts was good. I guess I was just over thinking it but carrots and corn didn't seem to get much attention in the Zone food block lists. I did know that corn wasn't awesome since it's not very nutritious when eaten in high quantities like the pilgrims did (interesting to read the Wikipedia page on corn), I barely eat it so when I do I won't feel bad.

I do eat a lot of raw carrots so it's good to get reassured. I seemed to be limited (by taste) to raw carrots, spinach, lettuce, asparagus, broccoli, peas and green beans for my veggies. Thanks for the help and quick responses!