CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-22-2006, 12:38 PM   #1
Chris Jodlowski

Profile:
So I've been pretty happy with the way I'm eating. Dropping fat, making good progress in my workouts. . and then this comes along. I'm about to spend 4 days at . . .(gulp) . . my inlaws. To say they have poor eating habits doesn't begin to cover it. Dinner is typically casserole-style or based around a mountain of mashed potatoes and breakfast can sometimes mean a piece of cake left over from last night. If I thought I could get away with it, I'd bring some stuff to eat on my own, but that won't fly. I'd considered having just coffee for b'fast, then running out and getting eggs somewhere or having to run an errand mid-day and grabbing something while I'm out, but they live in a fairly rural area, so there's not really a market just around the corner.

Any one have any tips from similar situations? Feed it to the dog then run out to the car to scarf down something better? Pretend I'm sick? Aside from fruit and nuts, what can I keep in the car for the weekend to fall back on? Pouches of tuna & salmon maybe? Like I said, I can't really get away with not eating meals with everyone.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:52 PM   #2
Greg Davis

Profile:
I feel for ya man. I've been in similar situations, having dinner with the girlfriend's parents/family, kinda the last place you want to come off as some sort of food snob.

Assuming that subbing in some of your own food is not option; I think the next best thing is to just take as little portions as possible of the stuff that you wouldn't normally eat, and the largest possible of the better stuff ie. meat/veggies. As long as you fill up your plate no is going to say anything. And it won't look weird if you leave a little of the "bad" stuff behind.

If they literally serve cake only for breakfast, well then I think I would draw the line there and just say you're not hungry..
Old 06-22-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
Paul Findley

Profile:
A pocket full of beef jerky?

or better yet...

Tell them you want to treat them to a meal...cook masive quantities of what you like, stuff their fridge with left overs. I am thinking like a turkey, a roast beef, a whole salmon on the BBQ, go big! Now you have your protein covered, its just a matter of buying just a bit too many veggies and fruit, maybe go to Sam's club where you are "forced" to buy that 30lb bag of broccoli, etc.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:04 PM   #4
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Sounds like now's the time to start IF. ;)
Old 06-23-2006, 07:15 AM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Like Ben said, now would be a good time for a fast of some sort.

Or like Paul said, bring a cooked turkey along with you as a gift. Or bring two.

There isn't anything wrong with putting your foot down nutritionally. If you can't do that by itself, claim you've got celiac disease and can't have any grains. Bring info with you if necessary. That should convince them that you need some different foods around the house. Your body comp improvements might also lead their thinking in a different direction.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:51 AM   #6
Chris Jodlowski

Profile:
Thank you, gentlemen. All great suggestions. Dr. G, you're absolutely right. If they handed me a stick of dynamite and said "here, stick this in your ear," no one would think I was rude for politely declining.

Greg.. yes, cake for breakfast. It's not really "served" as much as it is there on the counter and that's what they choose to eat. That or muffins. But if I get up early and start huevos rancheros or omletts for everyone, this can be spun into a positive.

I like the bag of jerky idea. Not as conspicuous as running out to the car for canned salmon. And more sharable.

Also a great opportunity to offer to make them dinner and grill some fish or. . .smoke a whole turkey.

And yes, I'm hoping when they see me and ask "have you lost weight" that momentum can be ridden through mealtime.

Thanks again.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:29 PM   #7
Heather L. Gibbons

Profile:
Sicilian Mother. . . . every effort to dodge food is a personal affront. Always bring Jerky and eat it in the bathroom after a meal if you have to. Consider it a reverse purge of sorts. "I haven't been feeling well," always works. Stomach flu means I get bland scrambled eggs for breakfast - perfect. And it explains the long duration locked in the bathroom while I'm chewing jerky. Of course, my mother is convinced I'm the sickest healthy person she knows. She thinks it's my diet :-)