CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 12-24-2007, 04:33 AM   #1
Chris Barclay

Profile:
Starting CF after C-Section

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for any resources for starting out on CF after a c-section (or Phys' in general after such). My wife has asked me to get her back in shape after our second kid and I am a little unsure as to what I should avoid specifically after a section. She won't be doing anything until after her 6 weeks check anyway but want to not aggravate anything or send her backwards. Was thinking to avoid K2E's or anthing speficially related to pushing the lower abdomen - but then I started thinking tht there is soo much that involves this region that it might be worth just starting with some core stability program of some description to get her moving and get some decent form and posture.

Any thoughts or guidance anyone can offer?

Thanks
Chris
Old 12-24-2007, 07:36 AM   #2
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Re: Starting CF after C-Section

My wife is just starting several months after a C. Defer to her doctor on starting back, but make sure he/she checks for mid-line separation of the abdominal muscles.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Moving to "Health and Medical Issues", where it might get more attention?
Old 12-28-2007, 02:34 AM   #4
Mirza Besic

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barclay View Post
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for any resources for starting out on CF after a c-section (or Phys' in general after such). My wife has asked me to get her back in shape after our second kid and I am a little unsure as to what I should avoid specifically after a section. She won't be doing anything until after her 6 weeks check anyway but want to not aggravate anything or send her backwards. Was thinking to avoid K2E's or anthing speficially related to pushing the lower abdomen - but then I started thinking tht there is soo much that involves this region that it might be worth just starting with some core stability program of some description to get her moving and get some decent form and posture.

Any thoughts or guidance anyone can offer?

Thanks

Chris

Talk with your doctor! Given that crossfit encompases excercises that most of the time utilize your entire body it is logical to conclude that a lot of stress would be placed on the lower abdomen.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:54 AM   #5
Chris Barclay

Profile:

Thanks guys (and David for Moving)
Just to clarify - I am not suggesting she do anything until we have all the clearance from the doc. I am really more interested in any views around what exercises she should be doing or conversely avoiding at this time for an area that will be tender and susceptible to strain for up to a year. The other question is around whether we should be trying to strengthen that area through some movements and what would they be?

Thanks again
Old 01-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #6
Norm Hoogerdyk

Profile:

I had abdominal surgry in Sept 07 for a blocked bowel and followed my surgeons advise to a T and then had an abdominal wall separation and have to get it repaired next month - Feb 08 . They say it can happen in 20% of the time. I jsut ****ed that it has now set me back again after almost a year off for a foot injury !#%#

Right now I'm wearing a back belt as it has lots of front support for my hernia
I did todays WOD of Front Squats up to 175# with no problems. My surgeon originally said that after 4 weeks I could do any exercise I wanted . This time I think I'll wait 6 to 8 wks for sure.
Norm