CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 12-18-2007, 02:14 PM   #11
Kurt Kendall

Profile:
Re: Daughter with type 1 Diabetes

I just read Ryan's post, and from my experience I will have to disagree. It sound like Ryan is in a difficult situation, and what he talks about certainly may fit his situation. However, do not go into the school and start demanding things. Type I should not be treated as a disability. Let teachers, coaches, and even the lunch lady know what is going on, but I urge you not to lable your daughter as disabled. I have been living with it for 20+ years, and never once have I had to ask for special treatment. If the school doesn't cooperate, then you may have to make it an issue, but that withstanding just talk to and educate key people.

It is very important you learn how to take care of your daughter, and educate her as she matures to take care of herself. But this should not run your life or hers.

Ryan, this is def not an insult to you. It sounds like you are doing the right thing, but this situation is different. Good luck to you both.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #12
Ryan Long

Profile:

Kurt has some valid points about pumping versus MDI (shots). In our case though I know that having the pump has kept my daughter out of the hospital a few times when she got sick. The pump allowed us to reduce her basal insulin when she refused to eat. It does require more work but allows her to eat on a more realistic schedule for a child. Our daughter has multiple other issues though so things may be easier with your daughter. Stick with the shots for a while and read everything you can about diabetes. The book "Think Like a Pancreas" was awesome.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:42 PM   #13
Darren Zega

Profile:  

My fiance just got back from the doctor today and she was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes as well. Thanks for everyone for the information that's already posted. It's good to hear from others in the same position. It'll do her a lot of good to know that life still goes on.

One question I had was about inhaled vs. injected insulin. Is one better than the other or have any significant issues? My fiance doesn't know anything about it and I wanted to see if any of your had any experience with it.

Last edited by Darren Zega : 12-20-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:06 PM   #14
Ryan Long

Profile:

We don't have any experience with inhaled insulin but I would question the consistency of doses versus the type of precision you can get with injections. The syringes my daughter uses are so thin I couldn't even classify the feeling of the needle as pain, just annoyance. I think inhaled insulin is a fairly new thing. I recommend reading the book "Think Like a Pancreas" for both you and your fiancee. Obviously she'll be taking care of herself but there are things you should be aware of as well.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:02 PM   #15
Darren Zega

Profile:  

Thanks for the adivice. I'll pass the word along and look into the book.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:24 PM   #16
Ryan Long

Profile:

Kurt,

I just reread your post. I can appreciate what you're saying about labels and such. Something to keep in mind though is that if you need things to be a certain way for your kid (help with shots, test blood sugar in the classroom, glucagon on site during PE) and the school wants to disagree then you may need to exercise your legal rights. If you can reach a gentlemen's agreement with the school then that is great. The problem with a gentlemen's agreement is that they can violate it at any point without consequence. There are consequences if they choose to violate a health care plan jointly established under a 504. Granted, my daughter's situation is much more extreme than most type 1s, but I think some of the health care issues are still valid regardless of mental competency. YDMV - your diabetes may vary. Just my 2 cents.

Ryan
Old 12-23-2007, 02:14 PM   #17
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

I've seen several testimonials of people having amazing improvements in diabetes by switching over to eating Paleo... It may be hard to get a 7 year old to try it, but she may like it more than insulin.

I remember a post by George Mounce recently... It sticks out in my mind because of the effect a banana can have. Looking for it now...

Quote:
My mother is a Type I diabetic. Since switching to much more Paleo guidelines, she has lost 10 pounds, and uses HALF of the insulin she previously had to use (which is absolutely amazing). She has found that a banana DESTROYS her balance, and grains do exactly the same thing. Since cutting them out and going more Paleo, she has noticed a direct correlation between lowering the amount of insulin she has to take dramatically. She also has tried to eat fat, protein, and carbs together rather than separately and that as well has shown a significant difference in her need for insulin.

This is with 0 change in workout regime. A reduction in high glycemic carbohydrates (especially starches/grains) as well as eating combined macronutrient portions has a dramatic effect on the amount of insulin needed. Just Google glycemic index and glycemic load and you'll have all the proof you need. Also Google studies on Paleolithic diets and diabetics and you'll have more information on how carbohydrates are destroying people's lives because of their insulin sensitivity.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:42 AM   #18
Andrew Cooper

Profile:

Thank all of you who have posted here. There has been alot of changes in our house lately. Her injections are going smoothly ,amazingly considering she's 7. Lots of great info., and the support is great and needed. Kurt and Ryan thanks, Steve thanks for your support. This community is the greatest.