CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 11-19-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
Travis Hall

Profile:

Yet another “When I was at the gym the other day...” stories

So, I was at the gym the other day to do a quick workout (21-15-9, burpees w/ pushup & jump and pullups- if anyone cares). I don’t go often, just when I’m on campus and figure it will be my only chance to workout that day.

There were two other guys in the gym. One was bench pressing (and no, this has nothing to do with the story! ) and another partaking in a variety of exercises.

I finish my workout and am stretching and watching this other guy’s work out. He is in the middle of a set of bicep curls. I must admit he suffered from the worst form I have witnessed in a long time- his lower back was rounded, his shoulders were rounded forward and he’s jerking the weights up and down.

Being a teacher I naturally want to offer advice in order try to fix his faults, but with difficulty I remind myself I’m in a hurry.

After the curls, he picks up a weighted bar (maybe ~75lbs?) and holding it in front, with hands together in the middle, he begins raising it up to his chin for reps. I don’t know what this exercise is called (or for). Some kind of upright row maybe? Regardless, same rounded lower back, forward rolled shoulders and to further attack is compromised spine, he is lifting the bar up along a path half a foot away from his body. Oh, and still jerking it around.

I am almost finished stretching so I again remind myself I don’t have time to get into a discussion, or possibly (wishfully) a lesson.

I begin gathering my stuff together. I watch him go over to the pullup bar and hang off of it for about a second. Which he then repeats after resting.

Well, enough is enough I say to myself: The man needs some pullup help. In the name of CrossFit and all that’s holy, I must pass on knowledge of the almighty pullup!

I approach him and wait until he is ‘resting’ and ask, “Excuse me, can’t help but see that your working on the pullup bar. Are you warming up, or trying to work up to performing some full ones?”

He gives me an awkward uncertain look. I’m thinking he may be intimidated because after all, I just knocked out forty-five of them in minutes. I make another effort, “I can give you some tips if you’re trying to learn pullups.”

….And here’s the kicker ladies and gentlemen:

“Oh no. I’m not doing pullups. I just like to hang. I find it helps my back, because my back is always so sore.”

Drumroll…..

Old 11-19-2007, 09:27 PM   #2
Spencer Provow

Profile:
Re: Yet another “When I was at the gym the other day...” stories

ding ding ding ladies and gentleman terrible posture please
Old 11-19-2007, 10:42 PM   #3
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

I hang from the bar sometimes. It's a good stretch and also works your grip. I've also done them weighted.

Last edited by Jason Lopez-Ota : 11-19-2007 at 10:43 PM. Reason: ********
Old 11-20-2007, 08:05 AM   #4
David Aguasca

Profile:

yeah. can you really be angry at the ignorant, though? he probably has no idea what he's doing wrong. it's a tough situation...unless someone is really about to cause serious injury to themselves or others, i don't say anything.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #5
Travis Hall

Profile:

Awww... I don't mean to mock the guy... well, maybe a little.

I just thought it was pretty funny. I was shocked by his answer to my pullup inquiry.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
Spencer Provow

Profile:

yea i hang from the bar to get a good stretch as well that is not what i was laughing at... i was laughing at the irony about a sore back