CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-20-2004, 03:55 AM   #1
will schrenk

Profile:

Hi All,

Just a question for folks running their own facility. How closely do your equipment selections follow the CFJ Garage list, and where do you vary from it? Any special suggestions?

Thanks,

Will
Old 09-20-2004, 07:52 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Will-

Virtually identical. My main point of departure is staying at one set of kettlebells. I am going with rubbber-hex DB's instead.

Old 09-20-2004, 11:06 AM   #3
James Gates

Profile:  
Where can I find the CFJ garage list on the site?

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2004, 11:44 AM   #4
Mike Minium

Profile:
James,

That info's in CFJ Issue 1, Sept 2002.

Mike
Old 09-20-2004, 01:24 PM   #5
Kurtis Bowler

Profile:
Will,

I stayed pretty close too. I don't have a Glute-Ham Developer yet, and we use a big tire for a plyo box.

Kurtis Bowler
Rainier CrossFit
Old 09-30-2004, 12:42 PM   #6
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Same here...

No GH Developer, no paralettes and no dumbells (!) yet...

I was lucky to have a 5m ceiling in the space I used so the rope really earns its money! I still haven't made any pictures to show you guys..THere are still creative things I can do with nets, ropes etc...

One thing I'm not sure I needed was the wall-ball board. It's a bit bigger than the one at the CF HQ, and I can't see how I couldn't use the wall to bounce my Dynamax balls (which I don't regret shipping from the States one bit-They are of excellent quality and the service you receive from Jim is simply superb!)

I'm trying to think of different ways to "amortize" the investment of the W-B board...
Old 10-16-2004, 09:28 PM   #7
mark twight

Profile:

Only a few DBs at Gym Jones, light ones, mostly for rehab purposes. We did get one set of "adjustable" DBs where we can add or subtract weight as needed. We built plyo boxes of varying heights (used 3/4-inch plywood). We have a climbing wall (never used in our WODs). We have a Schwinn AerDyne (?) bike type thing that has kicked the hell out of several of us. We have a set of heavy chains to hang on an Oly bar (for Tabata squats). The Wall Ball target (big, and steel) is invaluable because of integrity issues with the plaster/lath walls. Lots of white boards for workouts, times, records, etc. We have a GHD. We added the Roller Board (there's a photo in the archives somewhere) for ski touring specific movements, also useful for other movements. There was a lat pull machine in the space when we moved in but it has NEVER been used. And we have some very heavy "blaster bars", I think also called Rosenberg or Farmer bars. Ours are 53" long, about 4" in diameter and each weighs 56 pounds. We use these for static holds to improve grip strength (the gym record is currently 2:05 and no one else has gone over 1:40). We have a few Kettlebells but these are mostly used in the counterweight system we built to work muscle-ups, etc. on the rings. We hung a heavy bag but no one really uses it.

I'd get a treadmill in there if we had the money since we cannot access the street to run in a timely manner (the gym is on the second floor in the back of an old warehouse). This would help with workouts like Deadlift+400m Run. And I'd install a good ventilation and cooling system. Temperatures in our space are prohibitive in the summer (100 degrees and dead calm is not unusual) so we all belong to a "straight" gym that has air conditioning.

Mark T.