CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-08-2005, 01:52 PM   #1
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
Ok, lots of questions, 'cause I've heard many of the CrossFit facilities started out of garages.

I know I need insurance, and I think there is lots of info on another thread so I'll go back to there.

I think classes would be more fun than one on one training, how many people do you think I could successfully work with in a two car garage at one time?

How does the CrossFit Affiliate thing work? If I'm not an affiliate can I mention CrossFit at all? If I want to be an affiliate is there a fee or a certain standard for my gym?

Is there any other gear I need right now? So far I've got 7 kettlebells with 3 more coming, a york olympic training bar and bumper plate set, vulcan racks, power rings, an 18 inch plyo box, and two dynamax medicine balls, 12lbs and 20lbs. Also have a stopwatch with more gizmos than I can figure out how to use, and also a jumprope. Coming soon I'm going to get a pullup bar system, and deck the floor out in horse stall mats. Is there anything I'm missing? I know lots of folks have dumbbells, but I can do any dumbbell stuff with kettlebells.

Do I need any kind of permit to run classes out of my garage?

Any other advice? Thanks!

I'm really stoked. I used to be a personal trainer back in the day and I really miss working with people, but none of the gyms around here have any fun gear and none of them are CrossFit friendly.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:07 AM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Josh,

I think classes would be more fun than one on one training, how many people do you think I could successfully work with in a two car garage at one time?
Depends on what you're doing and where you live. If you're not charging, you can probably have as many people as your garage will accomodate. If you are charging for training, it depends on the local zoning laws. Where I live, I can't have more than two clients at a time. I plan on getting around this by having group classes on the weekends at local parks and such once the snow thaws.

How does the CrossFit Affiliate thing work? If I'm not an affiliate can I mention CrossFit at all? If I want to be an affiliate is there a fee or a certain standard for my gym?
Probably best to e-mail Coach/Lauren on this one.

Is there any other gear I need right now?
Sounds like you have a good setup. Adding a C2 rower might be nice (getting mine in March).

Do I need any kind of permit to run classes out of my garage?
Again, it depends if you're charging and your locality. IIRC, mine was $35.

Hope this helps. Good luck, Josh.

Ryan
Old 01-12-2005, 08:30 PM   #3
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
Thanks Ryan!

I'll check into the local regs this week and I'll email Coach and Lauren.

Hmmmmm I'll definately start saving up for a C2 Rower, maybe keeping and eye out on Ebay...

Thanks again,
Josh
Old 01-13-2005, 04:58 PM   #4
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Josh,
How do you like the York bar? Also, what did it cost? The site doesn't seem to list the price. Right now, I'm trying to decide between the Chapman bar, BFS Elite bar and a few others.

Tyler
Old 01-14-2005, 01:04 AM   #5
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
Tyler, I'm really stoked about the York bar. It's everything I wanted, but I'm totally the wrong person to ask 'cause I don't really have anything to compare it to and I've never really done any olympic lifting before. Right now I'm just stoked 'cause it's a nice change after a few years of nothing but kettlebells.

Scott Tully at bsolympic really hooked me up. Here were his prices and what he said about bars: "I can do the chapman bar for 440# shipping included, and the York training bar bar for 370$ shippign included. The KS Elite bar is a good bar, you will jsut get a little more of a free rotation out of the other two."

Josh
Old 02-11-2005, 05:34 PM   #6
Zach Even - Esh

Profile:
shaweeeeeeeet fellas, i run my facility from my garage as well
but, i need higher ceilings - in the future, very near, i'll snag a warehouse space and i can not wait for it!! high ceilings are gonna rock so I can get climbing ropes in there!

anyone ever wanna exchange ideas on in home training, drop me a line any time :-)

zach even - esh
zevenesh@aol.com
Old 02-19-2005, 04:05 PM   #7
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
I've got the low ceiling thing too. Got this really cool idea at the seminar though, check it out!

I saw Annie climbing the climbing rope starting from a seated position. Made me think if I pull my T.A.P.S. (pullup rig) out of the garage into the back yard I can get it up to 9 feet tall. I could wrap a rope around that, and from a seated position I could still get a decent rope climb in. Considering that 'no legs' rope climbing is still near impossible hard for me, the seven or so feet of travel I'd get would be a place to start from. I could just do it three or four times.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:12 PM   #8
Pat Janes

Profile:

I see the young girl gymnasts (about 8-12yo) do that with the rope climb every friday while my son is doing boys rec gymnastics.

They sit on the floor, in a straddle and climb the rope (about 25-30') while keeping the straddle the whole way up and down.

Very humbling...
Old 03-23-2005, 09:41 AM   #9
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Josh,
You might as well buy your Concept II from the company. You will only save a couple hundred because the demand for them is so high. Definately get the new PM3 monitor. I had to call the factory for a problem with mine, and they had someone come out and fix it. I thought that was pretty cool.
Good luck with the training. I wish I could teach CrossFit classes, but I teach grappling/mma and coach youth wrestling. I do turn all my students on to CrossFit though, and I will let anyone train with me.