CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
Peter Möller

Profile:
Sprinting, changing directions and foot placement

So I was doing some sprints and a bit of "agility-types-stuff" (?) the other day and it struck me as I was changing directions, I wasn´t really sure how to do the foot work properly. Maybe this falls under basic track and field, I´m not sure. But I´m just wondering if anyone know of some resources on the foot work stuff when sprinting and changing directions? I know where my body goes when squatting, pressing etc, but not really in this context....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
Jose M. Perez

Profile:
Re: Sprinting, changing directions and foot placement

Here's a good starting point for sprinting technique. http://www.stack.com/2012/04/19/sprinting-technique/ (wfs). As for changing directions, look at how it is done in soccer, basketball and other field/court sports. The basic technique uses the arms to change direction. I haven't studied this topic, so I cannot direct you to a source that discusses agility techniques.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
Dakota Base

Profile:

Important thing to keep in mind when changing direction at high speed is to never cross your feet. In general that means your hips will be pointed in the right direction to move the way you want to go, and you won't literally trip over your own feet.

Counter intuitively, usually mobility drills and footspeed drills like Karaoke end up crossing your feet. These drills let you make your transitions quickly by training your hips to turn over into your new direction. Dot drills can help develop transition speed also.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
Larry Bruce

Profile:

You are never going to change direction at full speed. Changing direction is absorbing the momentum with your lower body, adjusting the center of gravity and planting your outside foot towards the turn so it becomes your rear foot that you push off off.

The Twist (Peter Twist) folks do a lot in this area with hockey players, who have some of the fastest feet I've seen. Not specifically sprinting here but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuYmIdcp7kI (cool video and wfs).