CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
Chris Isenblitter

Profile:
Zone Diet question

Hi everyone I'm new to crossfit ( been doing it for about 4-5 months now) and I'm even newer to the zone diet. I have always eaten clean and have always lifted weights I just came from a bodybuilding/powerlifting background. I'm really enjoying crossfit and it's a refreshing change. Alright so my question is regarding zone I always feel pretty full from all the veggies that are allowed. I'm on the 4 block XL plan. I weigh around 215 and am about 5'11. I don't know the exact percentage but I know I'm somewhere below or around 10 percent body fat ( can see bottom of my 4 pack easily)

Is it necessary to eat all the carb blocks on days that are mostly sedentary other than working out and rest days. I mean 4 cups of some vegetables can be very filling. I understand that I may or may not need the calories but I wonder if Its maybe to much. Also is only 4 blocks of protein enough for me? I was used to the whole 1.5g per lb of body weight so the reduction in protein is vastly different then what I was used to. I wanted to just get some fellow crossfiters opinions on this. Thanks alot for your time and I'm sorry about the lengthy post .
Old 07-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Zone Diet question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Isenblitter View Post
Hi everyone I'm new to crossfit ( been doing it for about 4-5 months now) and I'm even newer to the zone diet. I have always eaten clean and have always lifted weights I just came from a bodybuilding/powerlifting background. I'm really enjoying crossfit and it's a refreshing change. Alright so my question is regarding zone I always feel pretty full from all the veggies that are allowed. I'm on the 4 block XL plan. I weigh around 215 and am about 5'11. I don't know the exact percentage but I know I'm somewhere below or around 10 percent body fat ( can see bottom of my 4 pack easily)

Is it necessary to eat all the carb blocks on days that are mostly sedentary other than working out and rest days. I mean 4 cups of some vegetables can be very filling. I understand that I may or may not need the calories but I wonder if Its maybe to much. Also is only 4 blocks of protein enough for me? I was used to the whole 1.5g per lb of body weight so the reduction in protein is vastly different then what I was used to. I wanted to just get some fellow crossfiters opinions on this. Thanks alot for your time and I'm sorry about the lengthy post .
how many blocks are you eating a day?

if you are already 10% body fat at your height and weight it is likely you do not need to do the zone at all and in face doing the zone is probably not optimal.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
Chris Isenblitter

Profile:

Right now at the suggestion of my crossfit coach and another athlete who is really experienced in nutrition and training suggested try the 4 block plan and adjust it as I see for based on changes. So far I seem to be holding mass and size and strength doesn't seem to be suffering. Weight has decreased some. In the mirror I do look leaner to myself. Honestly I wouldn't mine losing a little weight if it helps improve my times
Old 07-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Isenblitter View Post
Right now at the suggestion of my crossfit coach and another athlete who is really experienced in nutrition and training suggested try the 4 block plan and adjust it as I see for based on changes. So far I seem to be holding mass and size and strength doesn't seem to be suffering. Weight has decreased some. In the mirror I do look leaner to myself. Honestly I wouldn't mine losing a little weight if it helps improve my times
what is the 4 block plan? you still didn't tell me how many blocks a day you are eating? do you fully understand the zone diet, what a block is, and how many grams of each macro are in each block?

if you have a coach and other experienced athlete and you trust their opinions and advice then why post up questions on here?

what are you goals? to be the best you can be at CF? if so, then what are your current lift numbers? like a crossfit total and your oly lifts? how many pullups can you do? run and row times? some benchmark WOD times?
Old 07-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
Chris Isenblitter

Profile:

Yea I trust their opinions but that doesn't mean I shouldn't check for more experienced and knowledgable sources to back up what I'm being told. And I feel I have a pretty good grasp on what zone is and how it's done and the macro nutrient break down of each, and the seperate calorie count of each macro nutrient and how they vary. I was just trying to gets some opinions from like minded people.

As far as number go I haven't done all the bench marks WODs yet. My box hasn't really done any since I have joined. Elizabeth is the only one we have done so far and the time on that was like low 5 min something ( sorry I can't recall) My other cross fit numbers are
deadlift 515
squat 475
press 205

I have no idea how many kipping pull-ups I can do. I'm still learning the technique. At this point dead hangs are much easier for me

My goals are just to be the best I can be at crossfit and maybe compete one day