CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-01-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
Chris Jones

Profile:
food variety question

hey guys quick question as to what you do to keep from getting bored with fruits/veggies. Im eating 5 meals a day( 3 meals and 2 snacks in between), and only allowing 2 cheat meals a week. Except for my 2 cheats im doing 100% Paleo, and im slowly starting to get tired of the same old veggies every week. Im frequently rotating zucchini/yellow squash, onion, bell peppers of every color, mushrooms,carrots, brocolli/cauliflower, and green/french beans with some spaghetti squash or butternut squash every now and then. It seems like plenty of variety now that i list it all out though, maybe i just need to season it right? I usually do sautees with butter or coconut oil and use the residue of the meat cooked in the pan to flavor it. Any advice or suggestions is appreciated.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
John C Corona

Profile:
Re: food variety question

21 meals per week, along with following strict paleo does make it difficult, I will kind of agree. You are correct about seasonings, as this is going to be your way to change it up. You must educate yourself with the spice cabinet.

I tend to think about it this way: do I want italian, mexican, american, chinese, or mediterranean. So, along with spices, you should know your herbs, and know how to use sauces. I think I use onions, peppers and garlic in almost everything. When you cook them in a tomatoe sauce you got 'italian', sauted with soy sauce you got chinese, with some chili powder & cumin equals mexican, sauted in bacon fat with a hamburger = american, steamed or with olive oil and fish = mediterranean. I will vary the amount of cooking as well, like one day the veggies will be cooked to death in a soup, and the other extreme will be raw on a salad. I am huge on hot sauces, but I can easily ruin a dish, and make things taste like the hot sauce. I love fruit inside my hot sauces or salsas (pineapples, mangos, oranges).

I watched a video of Kai Greene (bodybuilder) where he eats tons of chicken breasts - ALL DAY. I think he gets over the boredom solely cause his goals to succeed outweigh his taste. On the otherhand, I doubt a "professional chef" ever gets bored cause they must have the knowledge in the kitchen. So watch the food channels, and learn more. My $.02.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
Michael Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Corona View Post
...I doubt a "professional chef" ever gets bored cause they must have the knowledge in the kitchen. So watch the food channels, and learn more.
Herbs are a wonderful variation on flavors. Fresh herbs can be vastly different than the bottled stuff (like Cilantro!!).

Over the years, I've been growing different herbs. Just go outside and pick something. You'll soon figure out what works with your upcoming meal.

Herbs are pretty easy to grow and most of them volunteer back every year. Maintenance generally requires thinning out the ones that want to take over.

Enjoy, MTG
Old 11-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
Andre J Gordon-Ruddell

Profile:

http://fastpaleo.com/ is all I can say. I currently have a yellow curry on the stove as I wanted a change from my usual chicken/steak and salad for lunch. The other thing is use http://www.google.com again very helpful
Old 11-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
Craig Rogers

Profile:

Make it Paleo has a ton of good stuff.
Everyday Paleo has some good stuff too.
Some creative ways to stay paleo and still get in a lot of different foods
Old 11-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
Chris Jones

Profile:

thanks for the help guys, weve got a pantry full of spices i just dont know too much about them Sauces is the other thing i need to play with, other than tomatoe sauce and liquid aminos i dont use much else so i guess my foods are rather limited.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
Craig Rogers

Profile:

Also remember that just because you have a pantry full of spice does not mean you have to use all of them every time.
Buy good food, cook it simply and it will be better than over complicated food with a list of spices and 20 steps to prepare it.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:37 AM   #8
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

re spices "Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals" recipe book has some really easy spice rubs for chicken, fish and various meats.. try them then branch out on your own adventures

.. and start a little herb garden.. .. an easy way to add a bit of zing to your meals.

H