CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-14-2006, 04:10 PM   #1
Josh Brehm

Profile:
I've been overlooking the CFJ21 issue for nutrition and I started doing some measurements... if I'm reading this right, unless I were to have some sort of grain or fruit with every meal, I'm going to be having more than a pound of veggies every meal for carbs! Am I missing something? According to the journal, 1 block of broccoli is 1 1/4 cups cooked, so if I wanted to have chicken, broccoli, and oil for dinner, I'll be eating 6 1/4 cups of broccoli, that's 50 ounces of broccoli! Please tell me I've done something wrong or I'm missing something.

What I've been doing for my meals right now are
Breakfast:
4 egg omelete with cheddar cheese and about 3 slices of deli ham. I'll either have an orange and a slice of bread or two or a bagel, or I'll have oatmeal with PB.

Lunch: chicken breast cooked on george foreman grill, 1 1/4 cup broccoli and about one cup rice (not cooked) all stirred together with some soy sauce.

Dinner, either simmilar type of meal as lunch or whatever my mom's made for the family.

I don't normally have snacks or i'll have something very small like a pb sandwich. normally my meals times are so screwed due to my schedual that i don't need snacks, i just need to eat my meals at a reasonable time.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:49 PM   #2
Nikki Young

Profile:
Josh, you are right about the grains being of less consumption than veggies. The reason being is that the more you can eat of a certain food to get to 1block carb, the lower it's GI is. Rice, pasta and bread (grains) have a high GI, therefor you can only consume a small amount of it to reach your desired block amount (3tbs rice for 1 block). The zone aims at limiting your insulin/blood sugar spikes, which are generally caused by high GI foods, thats why broccoli, with a low GI value (less sugar in it) requires a bigger consumption to get the same amount of carbohydrates as that of 3tbs rice.

My advice is to eat your low GI veggies, your broccoli for example.. then have a banana for after, or some grapes.. something which requires less consumption because of it's higher GI status, but is still healthier for you that that of high GI grains.

It takes a while to get used to what works for you, but stick with it and it will become easy and something you hardly need to think about.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Thanks Nikki, that helps clarify a bit. I'm going to post a sample, i guess, food routine that I'm going to try out for a while after I have people on here critique. until then I have another question... according to the block counter on the zone site, I'm supposed to consume 18 blocks daily. This is one more block than the medium male and one less block than the large male, would it be a bad idea to instead of consuming one extra or less block a day than suggested, i just go with the medium male scheme and add in one extra snack between breakfast and lunch? i normally get hungry between then anyway.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
higher GI status, but is still healthier for you that that of high GI grains.

A carb block is 9 grams. No consideration is given to the glycemic index in calculating the block.

What you are talking about is the glycemic load, not the glycemic index. Spaghetti has a low glycemic index (42) but a high glycemic load (20).
Bananas have a higher glycemic index (52) but a lower glycemic load (12).

The lower the glycemic load, the more you can eat without getting fat.

http://www.mendosa.com/common_foods.htm
Old 05-15-2006, 07:16 AM   #5
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Ok, so here's what I got so far...

Breakfast: for protein, either 5 hard boiled eggs, or a 4 eg omelete with cheddar cheese and 3 slices of deli ham. for carbs, 1 orange, 1 cup grapes, 1/2 an apple. my question here is, will the yolks of the eggs be enough for fat or should I have something else also?

Lunch: protein, 5 oz. chicken breast foremaned. carbs, 1 1/4 cup cooked broccoli, 1/2 cup chick peas, and 2/3 a banana. For fat, I was thinking soy sauce for over the broccoli, or mix the peas and broccoli together and have soy sauce over them (probably just a couple blocks worth), and then have peanut butter for the remainder of the fat blocks? Also in regards to the carbs, if I feel like I still need food after the banana, then I'll decrase the banana blocks and increase the broccoli blocks.

Dinner: I'm thinking some sort of grilled chicken salad type of deal, but I'll have to thinking about that more later, or if anyone have any suggestions for me for dinner that'd be great!

Snacks: I was thinking 1 block of plain yogurt and 1 block of peanutbutter for all snacks. But I'll change it if I realize it isn't filling enough for a one block snack between meals.

so that's my start, any and all comments appreciated!
Old 05-15-2006, 03:02 PM   #6
Carl Herzog

Profile:
Yes, a pound of vegetables in a meal is fairly typical, for me at least. Even then one usually needs to add some fruit or something to make even 4 blocks of carbs. Frankly, it's a lot easier to eat a greater percentage of fruit but the results aren't as good. Grains, even worse. Both approaches cause me to get hungry sooner and both result in foggy thinking (Well, some would probably say my thinking is always a bit foggy, but hopefully you get the idea.)