CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Stanley Walter

Profile:
Trap Bar Deadlift 3x per week?

I have spent the better part of 20 weeks focusing on my squat, and I want to take a break and focus on the deadlift instead.

Obviously a program like Smolov would be pretty insane for the deadlift, but perhaps there are other variations.

I ran Madcow for about 9 weeks before I needed to rest, but my last deadlift day last week I pulled 5x385#, which brings my 1RM to roughly around 430#. I have pulled 455# with a straight bar before, so I'd imagine my 1RM with the trap bar will be much higher.

Either way, I was thinking of doing speed work Monday at about 40-50% of 1RM, work about to 70% of 1RM on Wednesday, and go for 90% of 1RM on Friday.

Anyone have any experience with running this type of program?
Old 07-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Trap Bar Deadlift 3x per week?

I think TBDL's are fun, but personally they hit me more as a leg press or squat than a deadlift. I think they are a great assistance exercise and can be a heavy leg exercise that can be used in a conditioning like manner (since form can be sloppier on these than deadlifts).

For me when I build up my TBDL, my deadlift didn't change to much. I felt I got more carry over to my squat. I guess if you had a bad start off the floor/weak quads maybe you'd get more carry over to your deadlift.

Some people seem allergic to frequent deadlifting, but I wonder if you'd be better off doing almost a Heavy/Light/Medium.

Heavy could be alternating regular and deficit deadlifts.

Light would be speed/dynamic deadlifts

Medium would be TBDL.

With any program, you never know until you give it a try. So if you wind up doing you TBDL program, let us know how it goes.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
Stanley Walter

Profile:

Personally I love the trap bar deadlift. Much easier than the straight bar, and it doesn't affect the spine as much.

I think if you have proper coaching, the straight bar is fine, but I don't....so it worries me. I'd rather give up all the other benefits of a straight bar deadlift and not wreck my back.

I know Defranco uses the trap bar a lot, and it gives lots of love at T-Nation. I think if used properly it can be a huge benefit.

I'll probably try the program. I love the squat, but I honestly need a break. After 20 weeks of hell, my mental focus is absolutely not there to be able to squat heavy.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I would be afraid not to squat for 20 weeks.

Take the TBDL for a ride, but in the long run, barring orthopedic issues I'd think you'd get more bang from your buck with deadlifts and squats being the focus of training. So if you cycle in TBDL for a one two to cycles a year, and the rest are squat/deadlift dominant, that makes sense. But if you hope to avoid squats and deadlifts with the TBDL, I think you are headed in the wrong direction.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Stanley Walter

Profile:

Oh not at all. I love to squat, and still plan on running Smolov again in Oct/Nov. This is simply a bit of something different for about 6 weeks.

Was just wondering if someone else had done something similar.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
Stanley Walter

Profile:

Did 5x415# today on the trap bar.

I feel great. The 1RM calculator puts me at 467#, which is nice. My goal is 600# eventually.

The break from the squat is nice. I LOVE to squat, but taking some time off is important. Most interesting part is that my form with BW squats is noticeably better, and I feel a lot loser in my hips. No idea if that has anything to do with the trap bar, but the improvement is nice.

3x a week isn't bad if you do one day at 50%, and limit your work on the other non heavy day. I do some complexes and power cleans as well throughout the week, but other than that I'm pretty much just doing the trap bar deadlift.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Christopher Walls

Profile:

Did you do only back squat? Doing front squats upped my DL max by 35#.

For strength, try the Westside Barbell program.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #8
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Preplin's table. Learn it. Use it. It's how i put some serious weight on the bar.

Speed work (unless you are using accomadating resistance) needs to be between 55-70% imho.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
Stanley Walter

Profile:

I did Smolov followed by Madcow, so yes....only the back squat.

I try to keep my speed work at 60% of 1RM. The other non heavy day I work up to about 80% of 1RM.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Walter View Post
I try to keep my speed work at 60% of 1RM. The other non heavy day I work up to about 80% of 1RM.
Gotcha, I saw the 40-55% in your first post, just wanted to make sure you were above that.