CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 07-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #21
John Holcombe

Profile:
Re: Sharknado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Well, John for the past 2 weeks I tried Smolov Jr. Only got through 6x6 last week and the 6x6 this week and to the 3rd set of 7x5 on Wednesday. Had to call it this week.

Too much for me. Maybe if I calculated my numbers @90% instead of 100% and slept better but my sleep was pretty good this week.

Kinda bummed me out but good luck.

I think it was just too much volume initially from what I was working before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
the only thing with this is that you have to be willing to do this and only this if you want it to work. not smolov plus pressing, or metcons, etc. just smolov, eat, sleep. it will get your squat up. the question is if you can keep the gains once you go back to a "normal" program.
It's probably not going to be for me then. That is why I asked you guys. Thanks!

I survived the tough mudder this weekend and I have to admit it was a lot harder than I expected.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:15 AM   #22
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Popping in for a heads up. Long week moving to a new place and 4th death in the family in 10 months. This time my cousin, my age minus 3 months, died on his older brother's first wedding anniversary. What a way to celebrate....

Old 07-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #23
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Popping in for a heads up. Long week moving to a new place and 4th death in the family in 10 months. This time my cousin, my age minus 3 months, died on his older brother's first wedding anniversary. What a way to celebrate....
Sorry to hear man. It's the worst when you hear about somebody young passing away. Was it an accident of some kind?

Old 07-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #24
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Good for the new place, but that's rough Bill. Hang in there. Praying for ya.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #25
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holcombe View Post
Sorry to hear man. It's the worst when you hear about somebody young passing away. Was it an accident of some kind?
Drug overdose. Had a nasty break up with his girlfriend and spiraled down over the last week. It is unknown if intentional at this time, but he got fired from his job and spent the last two weeks drunk as a skunk. He struggled with addiction for the last 10 years. That fight is over now.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #26
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Behind the neck wide grip press

65x10
95x3
105x3
110x3
65x10

Deadlift
225x5
275x2
295x2
315x2
335x2
225x8

Old 07-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #27
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Drug overdose. Had a nasty break up with his girlfriend and spiraled down over the last week. It is unknown if intentional at this time, but he got fired from his job and spent the last two weeks drunk as a skunk. He struggled with addiction for the last 10 years. That fight is over now.
Sorry my man, really hurts to hear.

I like your deads, mine have been lacking, I am doing 5/3/1 but once a week is no good for me, I feel I do better with at leasy twice a week to get good gains and to stay comfortable. (looking at Andrew for advice?)

Old 07-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #28
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
Sorry my man, really hurts to hear.

I like your deads, mine have been lacking, I am doing 5/3/1 but once a week is no good for me, I feel I do better with at leasy twice a week to get good gains and to stay comfortable. (looking at Andrew for advice?)
I have had quite a bit of set back from going sumo to conventional, but I think the conventional is a better strength builder on paper. I am going to test it out. No matter what, I will pull more sumo than conv. but I am going to be working into Olympic lifting in the future and will be trying to arrange my business to that end. I am about 80lbs under my sumo for a double.

Additionally, I think you can deadlift more than once a week if you take a Bulgarian max as your guide to performance. I am no longer interested in grinding reps out. The Russian literature in me has brainwashed me and I refuse to push it to those levels anymore. Easy Strength and watching enough Klokov have me believing going as heavy as you can and still having solid speed are the way to go.

Last edited by Bill M. Hesse : 07-15-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #29
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
I have had quite a bit of set back from going sumo to conventional, but I think the conventional is a better strength builder on paper. I am going to test it out. No matter what, I will pull more sumo than conv. but I am going to be working into Olympic lifting in the future and will be trying to arrange my business to that end. I am about 80lbs under my sumo for a double.

Additionally, I think you can deadlift more than once a week if you take a Bulgarian max as your guide to performance. I am no longer interested in grinding reps out. The Russian literature in me has brainwashed me and I refuse to push it to those levels anymore. Easy Strength and watching enough Klokov have me believing going as heavy as you can and still having solid speed are the way to go.
I will have to look up the Bulgarian max because I don't know anything about it.

I like the max efforts or reps of the 5/3/1 because I feel you gain strength hitting that level of effort at ''heavy'' weights. But I also and seeing that one set seems short for me. I mean hitting say 325lbs squat for a single ME and hit say 3 reps is some real work for me.

But once it is over I wonder if doing sets there would build more. Or maybe I am not pushing for enough reps but at the time it sure feels like it. I am giving it all I have right then at there, but always wonder if I could have hit another set after I recovered.

Still though once a week on deads just is not enough for me to do well on my 5/3/1 days. I am thinking of a lighter but heavy session then my 5/3/1 on Monday or tues day and hit it hard on thursday which is my dead lift day.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #30
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
I will have to look up the Bulgarian max because I don't know anything about it.

I like the max efforts or reps of the 5/3/1 because I feel you gain strength hitting that level of effort at ''heavy'' weights. But I also and seeing that one set seems short for me. I mean hitting say 325lbs squat for a single ME and hit say 3 reps is some real work for me.

But once it is over I wonder if doing sets there would build more. Or maybe I am not pushing for enough reps but at the time it sure feels like it. I am giving it all I have right then at there, but always wonder if I could have hit another set after I recovered.

Still though once a week on deads just is not enough for me to do well on my 5/3/1 days. I am thinking of a lighter but heavy session then my 5/3/1 on Monday or tues day and hit it hard on thursday which is my dead lift day.
It isn't really Bulgarian specific, but it means to hit the heaviest weight you can do without getting slow. Strong lifts only, no grinders. If you are grinding, you need to dial it back.