CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-23-2004, 01:47 AM   #1
Kristof

Profile:  
Hello,

I'm new on the board (and to crossfit) and I was wondering if there are any long term side effects known following the intake of a multivitamin preparate every day?

I know that the fat-soluble ones can be harfull in some cases eg vit A and pregnant women, I don't think there are any side effects known on vit E and I don't know any effect caused by excess vit K or D. The water soluble don't form a real problem, unless you have a kidney problem I think.
If there is anyone who knows a scientific publication about this (there should) I'll be pleased to get it.

Thanks

Kristof
Old 08-23-2004, 11:20 AM   #2
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Kristof,

Your standard one-a-day type of vitamin/mineral supplement should be quite safe. The levels of fat-soluble vitamins are usually kept well below the toxic range.

However, I've seen some brands that go way over the top.... listing vitamins/minerals in levels that are many times higher than the RDA.

Check the label, don't mega-dose, and try to get one that is USP certified. It's virtually the only stamp of approval that means something in this realm. Of course in the case of pregnancy, disease, genetic conditions, poor nutrition, etc., I would consult a physician.

Brad
Old 08-24-2004, 08:25 AM   #3
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I found the book "Optimum Sports Nutrition" by Michael Colgan (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0962484059/qid=1093360457/sr=1-7/r ef=sr_1_7/103-2809722-8062266?v=glance&s=books) had an excellent discussion of vitamins. Not sure how the science jives with crossfit and the Zone, but imho it's worth a read. I am still sorting through the Zone and have to go back to OSN and reread some parts. However, I have found that a good antioxidant complex helps me feel good and recover well. Right now I'm taking C, zinc and Glucosamine/Chondroitin and trying to bring myself into the Zone. As a rule I would be careful with high doses of vitamins that can be toxic like Vit. A. The USRDA is the bare minimum for fat-couch-potatoes-who-watch-tv-and-eat-at-MacDonald's to prevent scurvy. Taking more than the USRDA is necessary for someone doing an intense workout regime like Crossfit. Your body is depleted after WOD and needs lots of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals to rebuild.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:43 AM   #4
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Keith,

Yep.. the USRDA is the bare minimum, for averaged weight folks, who are not as athletic as Crossfit folk. Yep... the WOD will certainly demand that we are getting the proper nutrients. However, I don't believe these need to come from pills. If you follow the Zone, you will get PLENTY of vitamins and minerals.... plus all those great "phytonutrients" that no pill (yet) can mimic.

Brad
Old 08-24-2004, 12:16 PM   #5
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Brad, I would like to believe that but I've read a lot of articles and things about how our food is less nutrient rich than it used to be. Most if not all those articles suggest eating ORGANIC fruits and vegetables (and most recommend supplementing). Organic produce is richer in nutrients and also costs more. Given the choice between a bad diet & supplements and the zone with no supplements, I would opt for the latter. I cannot see how the zone and supplements would not be the ideal, but I'm sure someone (maybe you, Brad) will let me know why the zone and supplements is overkill.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:12 PM   #6
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Keith,

With your permission, I'll e-mail you a few articles/letters I exchanged with the USDA on that very topic (nutrient content of our foods).

I confess... I have a bottle of One-A-Day vitamins laying around, and have been known to pop one on occasion (when I get sick and can't eat right, drink a bit too much wine/beer, etc). :-)

Brad
Old 08-24-2004, 02:12 PM   #7
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Brad - could you send me that info too? This has been something I am currently learning more about. I do know that my dairy goats (and all goats in certain areas) require copper supplements now because the hay in parts of the country no longer contain enough for them. This doesn't seem to effect their milk composition though even if not supplemented. It does effect their health over time and is implemented in certain types of still birth of kids.

Beth
Old 08-25-2004, 10:11 AM   #8
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Brad
Yes, please send me the info. Sounds fascinating.

Keith
Old 08-25-2004, 10:34 AM   #9
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
You've got mail.
:-)
Old 08-26-2004, 08:58 AM   #10
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Brad, I'm interested as well, if you could send it to me.

SK12879@sbcglobal.net.

Muchas gracias
Scott