CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #11
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Re: Carb Back Loading Meal Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Jensen View Post
Anything in particular that you'd recommend?

I'm probably going to try what I've laid out at least for a few weeks, but if it doesn't work in a manner that satisfies me I'm always interested in other ideas to try.

That's kind of what I've been doing. I eat fruit with my breakfast, and then some in the afternoon either pre-workout (if I workout late) or just as a snack (if I workout early). I don't feel like I limit myself its just how much I eat.

I don't really expect this to be a magic bullet, but I've read a little bit about it and like I said in the first post it fits my upcoming schedule well.

Just trying to make sure that I'm implementing it in the manner that its supposed to be.
Love me some tubers. I eat brown rice, but the Paleo Gods would strike me down for that. Most berries are good to go. Yams are eatable in greater quantities if you choose to.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
Shane Jensen

Profile:

I know berries are fine. I just don't feel like buying them a lot of the time.

If I was going to up my carbs I prefer bananas or cans of pumpkin which I buy anyway from time to time just for variety.

Not really a fan of rice, not because it isn't "paleo" more just because I don't really like it.

Last edited by Shane Jensen : 08-14-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
Shane Jensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Ok, perfect. I'm very interested to see how it goes for you. Please keep me updated either here or via PM.
Would be happy to. I'll be shifting to this on Monday the 27th.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #14
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
If I was going to up my carbs I prefer bananas or cans of pumpkin which I buy anyway from time to time just for variety.
I never had canned pumpkin unless it went into a pie. Does it have added sugar usually? How do you eat it, just plain? I will check the cans today at the store, but wondering how you like it.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #15
Shane Jensen

Profile:

The stuff that I don't buy doesn't have any sugar added, its just Libby's pumpkin pure.

I do it a couple of different ways. I'll mix it up with cinnamon and some almonds usually at the bare minimum if I'm eating it post workout or if I'm at an event.

Or I've got a kind of pudding that I'll blend up with a can of pumpkin, a banana or an apple, some peanut butter, a couple scoops of protein, and a whole bunch of cinnamon which is awesome but is generally limited to when I'm at home.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #16
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

That sounds amazing!

FWIW I don't like rice either, but it makes a good food I can make a lot of and take to school.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #17
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
Or I've got a kind of pudding that I'll blend up with a can of pumpkin, a banana or an apple, some peanut butter, a couple scoops of protein, and a whole bunch of cinnamon which is awesome but is generally limited to when I'm at home.
OMG that sounds epic.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #18
Eric Conway

Profile:

Quick question on your diet plan as I was looking into doing this as well and have researched it a bunch. Did you do the Atkins/South Beach style diet for the first 10 days where you ate less than 30g of cabs? If so, how did that affect your trainng? From my understanding of the backloading diet, you want 1g of carbs per pound of bodyweight which you are looking pretty good in your meal plan. And most of those carbs coming at dinner after working out, assumming your training in the late afternoon/early evening which you are. But contrary to what other pretty are saying here, according to what I've have read on the diet you want to eat higher glycemic foods because you want a higher insulin response. So I would switch the sweet potato with a white one and he apples with bananas.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:44 AM   #19
Shane Jensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Conway View Post
Did you do the Atkins/South Beach style diet for the first 10 days where you ate less than 30g of cabs?
No.

I've been eating the way that I've laid out for the past five weeks or so. Honestly haven't noticed anything particularly special in one direction or the other. Don't know if thats because I'm "doing it wrong."

Whether I am or not though, I'm going to keep rolling like this for the time being. I like eating my carbs at night.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #20
Eric Conway

Profile:

I agree. I think your meal lan looks pretty good. I would takeout one of the apples and add it to the post work out shake. But if your having dinner within an hour after training, it really doesn't matter.