CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:
BCAA question

I'm about to order BCAA's for the first time. I'm looking at some from BSN (Amino X effervescent) and just generally wondering how I'll feel. Maybe this is a dumb question, but is there any energy surge, flushing, racing heart, kind-of effects? Or is it just something you "feel" by decreased recovery time, etc? And is there anything else I need to know? As far as I can tell from other reading, it's not someting people have a problem with.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
Jason Rahm

Profile:
Re: BCAA question

I haven't taken that brand specifically (I get mine from AtLarge), but the only thing that I feel is not as sore the next day. Nothing like a pre workout stimulant.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

OK..that's what I wanted to know. I don't want the racing heart action..lol

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Clint Harris

Profile:

I get the AtLargeNutrition Orange variety. I tastes like delicious orange kool-aid with no adverse effects.
I mostly put it in my water for when I play golf so I sip on it for a few hours during the round. (2 scoops at beginning and just keep topping my water every 3 holes. So the mix starts strong and weakens as the round progresses). I swear I do not feel as hungry (like my body is eating itself) later in the round and I do not feel tired or struggle to think either. I find my focus stays with me better. It may be a pacebo effect, but I think not as I tried it on a whim to simply flavor my water (because I didn't find it made a workout difference so this may be a better use - flavor). I liked it and so I continued to flavor my water with it, but started to realize that there was an additional focus benefit and minimal tired swings down the stretch. (like 3-4 hours deep into the round).
At the end of some rounds, when your feet and legs are tired from walking in the heat for 4+ hours, it can get hard to concentrate and focus. I do not struggle in this manner when I have the BCAAs in my water.

I have tried nuun tablets, bananas, just water, B vitamins, and all manner of stuff, but I'm absolutely positive the bcaas are having a positive effect. (it also has the benefit of flavoring my water too).

For work outs, I did try it pre-workout, but I didn't really see any major benefit there. Perhaps there was, but I just didn't see it - too busy sucking wind etc (or maybe I was taking it too late, because I've come to learn that for pre-workout, it should be taken 30-40 mins prior) - which is why I started to use it for flavoring.
I do plan on taking another look at the pre-workout taking - especially now that I work out mostly in the afternoons and have time to take stuff earlier.

There's no bloating, racing heart beats, tingly skin or upset stomach or unweighted weight gain either - at least I can only confirm this for the At Large stuff (it has no "extras" in it).

NOTE: I do drink enough water during a round, so that's not the cause of my fatigue etc ..... that's a balancing act because you'll either water every tree out there, or none at all and feel drained. I get enough water .... at a level just below a constant tree waterer. I will concede, however, that having nice tasting water makes helps me drink more too though .... but I think there is more at work here.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

Hmm..Ok I'll take that into consideration. Maybe I'll check out the at-large brand too. I've been a member of the WBB/ALN forum for 8 years and have never tried a single ALN product..lol

I'm epileptic, so I was reading the side effects and it mentioned something about seizures in some kind of "Maple Syrup Urine" disease in small children. I also read something about BCAA and a positive effect on Epilepsy patients.

So to be on the safe side, I'm gonna clear it with my Neurologist.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
Brian Nguyen

Profile:

get straight BCAAs from Optimum Nutrition
Old 10-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
Jeremy Wagner

Profile:

There are 0 stimulants in the BSN product and the aminos won't have any stimulant effects. The label says you can take it anytime includint the evening.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
Chris Mason

Profile:

Patrick, you have been on WBB for 8 years and have never tried ALN? Lol, geez, I need to advertise better or something...

Anyway, assuming the product you get is just BCAA and contains no stimulants etc. you won't really feel anything from taking it, at least not immediately. Some people find BCAA gives them more energy for training (I have explained how this works before).
Old 10-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #9
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

Chris, I go my mrelwooddowd there. I was a mod, and you and I have met..LOL. I would change the name but it's been on there too long at this point. It's weird I know. Just an old movie character.

I guess your stuff was just out of my price range for a while and I never came back to it. I actually budget supplements into our grocery bill now though so I go for some higher quality stuff these days.

My Neurologist won't be back in the office until next week so I'm holding off for now. He's cool and seems knowledgeable about this kind of stuff, but I'm afraid he'll give me the standard "don't risk it" when it comes to supplements. Seizure control is priority #1 though so I gotta roll with it either way.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
David Sigmon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Rushbrook View Post

My Neurologist won't be back in the office until next week so I'm holding off for now. He's cool and seems knowledgeable about this kind of stuff, but I'm afraid he'll give me the standard "don't risk it" when it comes to supplements. Seizure control is priority #1 though so I gotta roll with it either way.
But it's AMINO ACIDS. Like the same amino acids you get from whole food proteins but already broken for you. I guess I'm not certain how that would affect you negatively but then again I'm not a doctor. I'm definitely interested to see what your doc says.