CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #11
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
Re: Beta Test

TS, you need to head to the deep web and ask around. Plenty of screwed up souls willing to do anything for money. Or, in this case a free t-shirt.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:08 AM   #12
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Bellon View Post
I suggest doing a little more research. Plenty of quality supplements with merit.
I honestly can't think of that many supplements right now that have come out recently that do something new.

Here's a list of where most of the stuff that works falls:

Vitamins/Protein (as well as individual Amino acids/BCAAs)/Fish Oil/Creatine, all of which has been around for a while.

There's Beta Alanine/some joint stuff (glucosamine etc..)/Caffeine-related stimulants. A few random things like HMB that don't do that much by themselves.

Most of this stuff has been around forever. Gimme some new stuff that you think really works and is worth its price.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #13
Shawn Bellon

Profile:

Well I will not toss my pearls.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
Shawn Bellon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
TS, you need to head to the deep web and ask around. Plenty of screwed up souls willing to do anything for money. Or, in this case a free t-shirt.
Not that you don't know what you are talking about but in this case you are a little out of line on the subject matter. Please don't point your experiences blindly.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:08 AM   #15
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Well I will not toss my pearls.
Nobody'll believe you have pearls otherwise.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #16
Shawn Bellon

Profile:

Just remember that the FDA approved a cool weight loss supplement: Phen Phen.

That didn't work out so well.

Now that being said I think the FDA would be well served to weed out snake oil instead of pandering the the pharm lobbies but that will never happen.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #17
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Not that you don't know what you are talking about but in this case you are a little out of line on the subject matter. Please don't point your experiences blindly.
Are you not looking for people to run a trial on?

Im not even close to being outline on this subject. I was being dead serious in what I said. You've been around here long enough to know people on this forum like to go about things the natural way. You're not going to find many people that would want to participate in here. Again, look to the deep web.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #18
Shawn Bellon

Profile:

Plenty of us supplement as well.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:49 AM   #19
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
I honestly can't think of that many supplements right now that have come out recently that do something new.

Here's a list of where most of the stuff that works falls:

Vitamins/Protein (as well as individual Amino acids/BCAAs)/Fish Oil/Creatine, all of which has been around for a while.

There's Beta Alanine/some joint stuff (glucosamine etc..)/Caffeine-related stimulants. A few random things like HMB that don't do that much by themselves.

Most of this stuff has been around forever. Gimme some new stuff that you think really works and is worth its price.
Actually even protein beyond dietary requirement hasn't been proven to add muscle or strength even during RT. In otherwords protein supplements aren't needed except to meet dietary requirements, that is if you like them as food. BCAA not even that. (Sure they do help avoid carb/fat calories when meeting those needs).

Fish oil has not been proven to help reduce cardiac events in people who didn't have CHD. Even vitamin and mineral pills are a double-edged sword: always best received in food. People still take these things for comfort. It's largely a false sense of comfort though.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #20
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bruce View Post
Actually even protein beyond dietary requirement hasn't been proven to add muscle or strength even during RT. In otherwords protein supplements aren't needed except to meet dietary requirements, that is if you like them as food. BCAA not even that. (Sure they do help avoid carb/fat calories when meeting those needs).

Fish oil has not been proven to help reduce cardiac events in people who didn't have CHD. Even vitamin and mineral pills are a double-edged sword: always best received in food. People still take these things for comfort. It's largely a false sense of comfort though.
Well they did prove that high protein is better than low protein, and if protein shakes help you get to that, then great. BCAAs do some stuff, not sure it matters in a high protein diet. They may have some other uses (IF), but who knows whether they are worth the money.

Fish oil (EPA + DHA) does a bunch of good things that have been shown, that's the one supplement that I think is in a "beyond a doubt" category if people aren't getting enough fatty fish in their diet. Everything else is kinda meh, vitamins might help bring up deficiencies, but if you are not deficient, you might be hurting yourself by taking in extra stuff. Who knows...