CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-03-2003, 08:03 AM   #1
Roy

Profile:

I mentioned in another thread that I may wanna try NHE. I followed warrior abit, but it just didnt seem right because of all the hard training I do. My question about NHE:

Jay answered my question stating that on the downcycle days, only eat about 30-60 grams a day. 60 grams a day is only about 240 calories. I train 10 times a week(twice aday) and its mostly anerobic. Crossfit in the mornings, and hardcore 1 hour trampoline sessions in the later afternoon. What always has worked best for me was to have carbs before and after both workouts, and the last two meals fat and protein, but usually end up eating carbs then too. My biggest concern is training like this during the metabolic shift. If I followed this plan, and trained as hard and often as I do, wont I just pass out? So far, NHE sounds a little complicated, and unrealistic to my lifestyle. Is it possible to "modify" such a diet? maybe increasing the number of carbs on downcycle days?
Old 12-03-2003, 09:18 AM   #2
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

If you increase the number of carbs then you are bound to have fat spillover come the carb up. In order to follow the plan, the metabolic shift is a must. Yes, you will feel like total $hit for a couple days, though I doubt you will pass out.

If NHE is not going to fit your lifestyle, why both messing with it? Just go with another program that will work better for you. If you take NHE and change ratios, carbs, etc., then it's no longer NHE.

Lastly, after you make the metabolic shift, you will most likely have more energy than when you were consuming carbs. This is because your metabolism will shift from burning sugar (carbs) to burning fat. As such, your body will readily use your own bodyfat as fuel. If you give the plan a chance I believe your workouts will improve and you will feel and look better. However, as I said, if this is something that will not work for you, don't even mess with it.

-Jay
Old 12-03-2003, 10:51 AM   #3
Roy

Profile:

Well, You never know if it will work until you try it out. I may give it a whirl come saturday or monday. The reason im pondering is, well....another question! Saturday and sunday are two rest days for me. (I do the periods a little different from crossfit. Crossfit mon, weds, and fri. other training tues and thurs) Would it be a good idea to start the metabolic shift on a saturday(1st rest day) or a monday (1st training day)?
Old 12-03-2003, 11:32 AM   #4
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

I would suggest that you start the metabolic shift on a training day. It will aid in the process of depleting your glycogen stores and will get you to where you want to be a lot quicker. This is just my opinion though. Honestly, be prepared to feel like CrAp for a couple of days. In the end, it's worth it though, so hang in there :-)

-Jay
Old 12-03-2003, 12:08 PM   #5
Steve Shafley

Profile:
My personal experience has led me to scrap the so called "metabolic shift" for NHE. I've done it with it, and I've done it without, and it's worked the same either way. This was true when I tried the Anabolic/Metabolic Diet and BodyOpus.

For those with higher workloads, and who don't have as much trouble with hyperinsulinemia, I'd recommend starting with the Zone first, and working your way down as needed. The Zone books can be found in practically any library.

The best thing that the NHE diet did for me was to reconsider carb and nutrient timing. I know that shorter and more frequent carb meals work much better for me than a whole weekend of carbing. As of now, heading into a PL contest next weekend, I would say that I do a mostly "hot" Zone style diet with a banana and apple eaten after my workouts to help with recovery, plus a whey shake, and it's working well. I am not the leanest I've ever been, but I certainly am at the strongest. There will be plenty of time to lean out after the meet.

Old 12-03-2003, 05:22 PM   #6
Roy

Profile:

Im really thinking about giving NHE a try. The only thing im worried about is lifting weights, and having no carbs before or afterwords, which to me sounds like I'll have barely any energy to perform even half as well. It is only a week, but from my experience and lifestyle, a WHOLE LOT happens in a week.

Would it be okay to make fruit, like apples and bananas the allowable 20 grams of carbs a day after each workout, or do the allowable carbs have to be completely fibrous with no sugar?

I cant thank you guys enough for this helpful info, and time taken to to give advice. I really appreciate it. Im almost 100% sure about giving NHE a try. thanks again

Cheers

Roy
Old 12-03-2003, 06:09 PM   #7
Roy

Profile:

Im sorry, one more question: I plan on eating a lot of walnuts and pecans during the first seven days. However, the do have some carbs in them. Though mostly fibrous, If i were to eat as much of those as I want, I would very likely exceed 20. I could do this if I skipped the vegetables, but would this be considered "modified" or against NHE?
Old 12-03-2003, 07:23 PM   #8
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Well, Roy, to be honest, Rob Faigin wants you to eat only non starch veggies such as broccoli during the metabolic shift. No nuts, no fruit, etc. Meat, fish, fowl, eggs, oil, butter, cheese, veggies, etc., should make up the metabolic shift menu.

If it's feasible, I would say stick to what Rob suggests. If you don't make the metabolic shift, the plan is not going to work.

As far as the advice/help - no problem, glad I can be of some assistance.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:28 PM   #9
Roy

Profile:

Well, tahnks Jay. I guess I'll give this a whirl. I've never "low carbed" over a period of 12 hours. I dont mind trying it out. The only part that feels strange is doing intense anaerobic activity with no glycogen, and no ATP replenishment. Any of you ever feel that you're just stripping muscle off your body while doing this?
Old 12-03-2003, 10:30 PM   #10
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

After the metabolic shift you won't have to worry about lack of glycogen due to the carb ups and the glycogen sparing nature of low carb diets. The main thing here is switching your metabolism from burning carbs to burning fat. At first you are bound to feel; weak, dizzy, fuzzy, lethargic, etc. After you make the shift though you should begin to really perk up and most likely you will be hooked on the plan.

-Jay