CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-15-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
Joey Shishineh

Profile:
Beta Alanine

"effects on total work capacity, power output at lactate threshold, delayed onset of muscular fatigue during high-intensity exercise and improved sub-maximal endurance performance. It also has beneficial effects on lean body mass via a decrease in body fat and possible increase in lean muscle tissue." (sounds great!)

Recommended dosage is 3-4g but there is a possibility of, "tingling or itching sensation on the face and or extremities," with use of 800mg or more. "This is a harmless reaction which is transient (typically only lasting a few minutes) and often reduces and or subsides with continued use."

This is one of the few recommended supplements by Chris Mason in the July 2010 CFJ article.

I am curious who has used this stuff, how much, and what brands you recommend?
Thanks.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Re: Beta Alanine

I have it, in AllMax Nutrition brand. Other brands throw other crap in with it to make energy products, but I like having just one ingredient. 1tsp of crystals 30 mins prior to WOD, mixed in a little water. Tastes just a little sweet. The tingling is no big deal (lasts 20 minutes maybe) and goes away completely after a couple weeks.

As for results, I think it helps me keep going better in metcons. Anecdotes are self-biased and could be psychosomatic but that is my opinion - I still use the product.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

According to this page:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...ts-part-2.html (WFS)

Quote:
Beta-alanine
A fairly recent addition to the performance supplement arsenal for mixed sports is beta-alanine. Acting as a buffer of acidosis in skeletal muscle, beta-alanine can improve certain types of performance, especially in activities that rely heavily on anaerobic metabolism (e.g. maximal efforts lasting roughly 30-60 seconds). At least one study found that beta-alanine plus creatine improved weight room gains; mixed sports athletes looking to increase strength/power or muscle mass may want to consider beta-alanine.
The biggest drawback to beta-alanine is the required dosing schedule which is 400-800 mg of powder 4 times per day (for a total dose of 1.6-3.2 grams per day). In some people, beta-alanine can cause a tingling/itching/flushing sensation. This isnít dangerous, simply irritating. And the dose must be split in this fashion for optimal effects.
Apparently splitting the dosage has to do with "Absorption kinetic issues." I also believe you have to take it for almost a month before it shows real effects. I personally think it's a pain, but you might disagree.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

The dose does not need to be split.

Ben, just taking it prior to training will not allow to experience the benefits of its use. You have to take it every day.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
The dose does not need to be split.
I was under the impression that due to the half-life of beta-alanine in the body, taking it all at once would reduce the effectiveness of the dose significantly. Is there a study that shows otherwise?
Old 02-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

There's some limited research suggesting that beta-alanine supplementation may improve some aspects of performance and it appears to be relatively harmless with paraesthesia being the only side effect I'm aware of so I can't think of any reason, besides the expense, not to try it.

AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet - Beta-alanine.

AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet - Summary of studies of B-Alanine and sports performance.

Effects of Beta-Alanine on Muscle Carnosine and Exercise Performance: A Review of the Current Literature.

*All links wfs*
Old 02-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
James Mazzarisi

Profile:

[quote=Ben Kaminski;1034079]I have it, in AllMax Nutrition brand...

I bought the Allmax brand too but returned it right away. The back side of the label indicates you are exposing yourself to lead with the product. Apparently the company has failed some maximum lead contamination tests. I contacted the company about it and their response was weak. From what I gathered they did indeed fail some tests for lead and when I questioned them about this I received a vague answer indicating that basically their products had less lead than a peach and every California company was required to include this warning. It seemed like bunk and I investigated and I found legal complaints filed as recently of January of this year for additional lead contamination on some of their products. Just a heads up.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
There's some limited research suggesting that beta-alanine supplementation may improve some aspects of performance and it appears to be relatively harmless with paraesthesia being the only side effect I'm aware of so I can't think of any reason, besides the expense, not to try it.

AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet - Beta-alanine.

AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet - Summary of studies of B-Alanine and sports performance.

Effects of Beta-Alanine on Muscle Carnosine and Exercise Performance: A Review of the Current Literature.

*All links wfs*
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Kaminski View Post
I have it, in AllMax Nutrition brand...

I bought the Allmax brand too but returned it right away. The back side of the label indicates you are exposing yourself to lead with the product. Apparently the company has failed some maximum lead contamination tests. I contacted the company about it and their response was weak. From what I gathered they did indeed fail some tests for lead and when I questioned them about this I received a vague answer indicating that basically their products had less lead than a peach and every California company was required to include this warning. It seemed like bunk and I investigated and I found legal complaints filed as recently of January of this year for additional lead contamination on some of their products. Just a heads up.
I did see this warning on one of the bottles...something about California and lead...
Old 02-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
Chris J. Campbell

Profile:

i use beta alanine regularly for swim practices as i'm training for Masters Swim Competitions this season. I experience the tingling / prickly feeling in my arms and especially in my ears. It's a little annoying and I'm hoping it subsides with continued use.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
I was under the impression that due to the half-life of beta-alanine in the body, taking it all at once would reduce the effectiveness of the dose significantly. Is there a study that shows otherwise?
I have studies with dosing from 2-4 times per day. I have done extensive empirical testing of my own product and have seen no difference in real world results with taking it once per day vs. up to 4 times. The choice is yours.