CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-09-2007, 12:12 AM   #1
Tim Ulcoq

Profile:
Hey team,

I've just started the official rugby season, and I'm currently trying to put together an in-season exercise programme. One issue i'm having is whether to do front or back squats...

I'm a big fan of the back squat, I spent the off-season working hard on it, I love the beating it gives to the posterior chain. My only problem is I don't have a squat rack. Therefore, I can't do anything close to my 1RM, as I struggle to get the bar on my shoulders at that weight. Which brings me to... the front squat. With the front squat, I can hit closer to my 1RM.

So in order to complete my exercise regime, what are people's thoughts on the functionality of both the front squat and the back squat to the sport of rugby? For those familiar to rahrah, i'm a flanker if that helps...
Old 04-09-2007, 01:17 AM   #2
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Tim,
I have found a good combination of squats has helped my on field strength. I'm a prop/hooker, but I think the strength gains would be applicable flanking as well.

I think the front squat has helped, as you have to actively keep the head and shoulders up, with more upright torso. I think the leverage here simulates the mechanics in the front row very well.

I'm also a big fan of OHS, as they really do make the body "one-piece." The weight won't be as high, but it really pulls the core together. I also like one arm DB OHS(particularly the DB snatch, then three OHS variety). Since you're flanking, I think the one arm stuff would help build up your core, as you have to transfer all your push through only one shoulder(in most situations, any way).

One of my favorite WODs is:
Tuesday 051213

Overhead squat 1-1-1-1-1 reps
Front squat 1-1-1-1-1 reps
Back squat 1-1-1-1-1 reps

Try to increase the load on each of the fifteen sets.

Post loads to comments.

I also found this doozy:
Friday 050909

Back squat, bodyweight, 21 reps
Run 200 meters
Front squat, 2/3 bodyweight, 21 reps
Run 400 meters
Overhead squat, 1/2 bodyweight, 21 reps
Run 800 meters

Post time to comments.

I'm also a big fan of power cleans, and hang power cleans.

Edit: I'm also a big fan of Brisbane, spent a week or two there in 03 for the RWC. Good times at the Yellow Submarine, and whatever that strip of bars between there and Suncorp stadium.

(Message edited by vuprop on April 09, 2007)
Old 04-09-2007, 05:46 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Just to start off, Clean, push-press, lower to back squat position...you wouldn't be able to do maxs, but should be able to go pretty high. Second, build pilers of poverty (do a search) basically looks like dip bars made of pipe. You rack the bar, lift it out and squat. I think with non-max back squats, front squats, dead-lifts, and overhead squats, you should have no problems not max back squatting.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:23 PM   #4
Israel Halperin

Profile:
mike boyle, a great S&C coach, doesnt use back squats with his clients, just the front squat.

he says that ever since he eliminated back squats from their routines, it took away most of their lower back problems.