CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 05-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Sumo DL.

This is my second session ever doing Sumo DLs.

WFS, 155x5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXQetrGJPiY

This felt very hard, like I don't have much more in me.

For comparisson, 3 or 4 weeks ago I did 345x4 in the conventional DL. WFS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=267sh...eature=related

The Sumo DL video just looks ugly. Like I'm doing everything wrong. It also feels wrong, hard to describe, just doesn't feel natural tome.

Are there any clear, obvious mistakes? I thought Sumos were supossed to be easier for most people... LOL!
Old 05-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Re: Sumo DL.

I must point out that after reading the instructions of "getting your hips close to the bar", that is why my hip are so low. Jeez it looks like I'm below parallel at every rep. Does this cue mean that the hips must be close to the bar in the Horizontal plane? Or does it mean it needs to be as close to the bar as possible, as in, the distance between the bar and the hips (drawn by a straight line) must be as short as possible?

I kinda hope Anthony B. chimes in, he's my Sumo DL hero, lol.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Are there any clear, obvious mistakes? I thought Sumos were supossed to be easier for most people... LOL!
I don't know if it's for most, but it is for me. I didn't see any glaring issues. It could be that you're just not built for sumo or that you haven't done it enough.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Actually Veronica I'm fully aware that some people pull more with conventional, as it all depends on everyone's antropometry. However, I didn't expect this massive difference. After a few Power Clean sessions I was up to 200# before I injured my wrist, and I did that weight for 5 sets of 3.

The 155x5 sumo DL set feels almost as hard. I'd say it feels as hard as at least a 275x5 conventional for me. But it's hard to compare this way. 3-4 weeks ago I grinded out 340x5 ... in this Sumo DL I think 170x5 would be a true grinder for me, not even sure I'd even complete that set. And it's HALF the weight. I really didn't expect a 2:1 ratio.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I conventional dead about 395/400. I tried sumo the other day, easily pulled 365, but 375 wouldn't budge.

Looking at your video, I wonder if you are pulling "up" too much avoiding using your hips. I wonder if you tried pulling "up" and "back" this would then put some pressure into your sumo squat stance so you could press out the weight with your glutes and hips.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Actually Veronica I'm fully aware that some people pull more with conventional, as it all depends on everyone's antropometry. However, I didn't expect this massive difference. After a few Power Clean sessions I was up to 200# before I injured my wrist, and I did that weight for 5 sets of 3.

The 155x5 sumo DL set feels almost as hard. I'd say it feels as hard as at least a 275x5 conventional for me. But it's hard to compare this way. 3-4 weeks ago I grinded out 340x5 ... in this Sumo DL I think 170x5 would be a true grinder for me, not even sure I'd even complete that set. And it's HALF the weight. I really didn't expect a 2:1 ratio.
How long have you been trying do sumo? Could be you just haven't gotten used to the movement and found your groove.

Looking at it again, your hips may be set a bit low on the sumo. Try setting them a little higher at the start and your shoulders a little more forward of the bar. Might not be what most teach, but it works for me to set up this way.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Setup looks good. Bar speed was good. Might have "felt" heavy, but it was easy. Just need time for your body to adapt to the position. You're still yanking the bar off the floor though. Feel the tension through your body and squeeeeeeeeeeze the bar off the floor. It might feel slower on lighter weight, but it will keep you in better position when the weight gets heavy.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Crap. I was almost wishing you would tell me my hips were too low Anthony. haha.

I did yank the weight in this set. Gonna try not to next time. It just feels so darn heavy from that awkward possition.

Is my lower back hyperarched???
Old 05-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

This girl teaches that your hips can't be too low. WFS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XynUSDVyd6Q

I don't know if she knows what she's talking about or not. With conventional DL's I always heard that the hips must be as high as you can get (with proper flat back of course) to be efficient. Is it the same with Sumo? Because I kindof thought the point was to be as upright as possible? Maybe it's not really like that? Her starting possition is way more bent over than mine.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #10
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

And the pic attached is Anthony. More upright than the girl, but still seems to start the pull from above parallel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anthonyDL.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	7824