CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-02-2004, 09:29 AM   #1
Stuart Proudlock

Profile:

Hi All,

[First post to the forum]

I have just moved to a new apartment and as a result I am poor with limited training space. My focus is for martial arts and I plan to enter my first competition in the new year (san shou or muay thai).

I manage to do bodyweight exercises during my lunch break that I try to make follow the WOD but want to start building my strength a bit more and want to be able to do a weighted work out of an evening if I need.

I am going to get a chin up bar for my apartment and I have a 25kg (~55lb) sand bag I made the other day.

What other (cheap!) pieces of equipment would people recommend to follow the WOD better over the next few months? I haven't got the room or floor space to have a weight set.

Is it a medicine ball or dumbells or another sand bag?

(I plan to get some kettle bells in a month or so)

Thanks in advance.

Stuart
Old 09-02-2004, 09:54 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
(Ready for the fireworks?)

Hi Stuart!

I would skip the KB's. For the price you would spend on a set you can get a set of Tylers rings, an olympic set with ~300lbs, and an adjustable DB with say 60lbs of weight. Yu will still have money left to buy a used copy of the CrossFit Journal, and used copies of the Zone and Omega Rx Zone.

Let us know how this works out for you.

Robb

Old 09-02-2004, 09:04 PM   #3
Beth Moscov

Profile:
I would suggest the rings and the olympic set that Rob suggests. I work out from home and have more space than you do but still need to add things slow. I got the rings and found out that they can double as a pull up bar, dip station, push up station (much harder than on the floor). They can even be used for stretching and my son uses them to stand in and practice his judo footwork in an unbalanced situation (thus improving his game on stable ground).

Beth
Old 09-03-2004, 02:03 AM   #4
Stuart Proudlock

Profile:

Robert & Beth,

Thanks for the no nonsense advice.

I have a space for the rings and will have to work something out for the olympics.

Kettle bells seemed sensible because they took up a small amount of space and are the latest 'martial' training tool.

Thanks again

Stuart
Old 09-04-2004, 07:32 AM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

Stuart:

I'm going to try to have it both ways. I fully agree with the advice that Beth and Robb have given: Olympic bar and weights, rings, and pullup bar (rings can substitute, as Beth notes) are the absolute best choice of equipment.

But, you need the space to use them, and the requirement is not trivial. Ideally, you need a place to hang the rings (8 or 9 feet, if possible, 12 is even better), and enough clear floor space to explosively lift (and occasionally drop) a 7-foot bar.

If you have that space, great! Go for it with the Oly bar / rings solution.

With all that said, it's not like your KB solution was a bad idea, either. They seem a touch overpriced (especially if you get them from the "name brand"), but they are high quality, will last forever, require very little space to store, and not a whole lot more to use (especially if you can go outside to swing them).

The only significant downside to KBs (that I see) is that their fixed weights mean you need a lot of them (higher cost) to have a range of loading, and you still can't do some exercises that are part of a truly complete fitness program (high-load deadlifts, high-load C&J, etc.)

Best of luck, and welcome to CrossFit!

Dave
Old 09-07-2004, 04:58 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Make small parallel bars out of PVC pipe. Make as much as you can. Old playground balls filled with sand, wrapped with duct tape: Medicine balls. Get a cheap swiss ball for reverse hypers and back extensions. A decent O-bar and bumper plates are a must but. . .If cost is prohibitive, go with the $100 cheepo set and WD-40 the bearings in the O-bar sleeves. Build and improvise.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:47 AM   #7
Michael Pearce

Profile:
Here is a Crossfitter's site that has a how-to on a lot of equipment that you can make. I made one of his fast ropes and it is truely awsome and it only cost me about $3.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:40 PM   #8
David Wood

Profile:

I think Michael was going for this:

http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/

but lost the link. This is an great website run by CrossFit member "Aptdwler".

Dave

Old 09-08-2004, 03:55 AM   #9
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
I believe you can buy KBs with adjustable weight..
Old 09-08-2004, 06:12 AM   #10
Michael Pearce

Profile:
Sorry about that thanks David.