CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 03-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:
Re: V's Log

3/12 BJJ Tournament
Two matches in gi, 2nd place. No gi opponent did not show, so a lot of waiting and gnashing of teeth for nothing.

3/13 Morning: Tennis 1.5hrs Doubles

3/13 Evening: WOD ~14min (I forgot to stop the watch...d'oh!)
4 Rounds:
20 box jumps (12")
20 KB swings (15lbs)
3 pullups
5 dips

Warmup with pullups, bench and air squats. I think my squat form is pretty horrific. I can't stay off my toes.

Did assisted dips in rounds 2-4. I don't know if it was very smart programming, as the swings, pullups and dips all seemed to be pretty shoulder heavy exercises. Was the best I could come up with on short notice and with the equipment that was available to me at the globo w/o trying to steal it from someone else.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #12
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

3/14
Ultimate Frisbee (1hr)

3/15
Ultimate Frisbee (1hr)
BJJ (1.5hrs)
Was happy to get back to training and not be in tournament-stress-mode.
3/16
Ultimate Frisbee (1hr)
Old 03-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #13
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

3/16
Evening:
Tennis 1.5hrs
Ball Machine (Disaster) then doubles for half an hour

3/17
Burpees in the Park (~15mins)
5 Rounds:
Run stairs (two at a time) to the flags
10 burpees

Finished off with some shoulder pullups on a tree. Two sets of four I think.

I cannot wait until my new digital watch arrives. So sad that I lost my previous one. I've been doing a really poor job of keeping accurate times.

Decided to give my legs a break today since I fris'd for three days in a row, played tennis last night and have BJJ tonight.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #14
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

3/18
Ultimate Frisbee (1hr)

Weather was great, but my tosses...not so much.

3/19
BJJ (1.5hrs)

3/20
Morning:
Tennis - Mixed Doubles (1.5hrs)

Afternoon:
WOD
5 Rounds -- Completed in 11:53
5x 95lb press
10x 15lb kb swing
10x 25lb zercher squat

Warmup: 5 consecutive pullups, 10x 45lb, 65lb press, 5x 95lb press, 10x 25lb zercher squat

Cooldown: More pullups, 10x 20lb thruster, 10x 30lb thruster, 10x 40lb thruster

I need to start taking my squat form seriously. Pretty sure I'm not staying on my heels and zippy chance I'm getting parallel to the floor. My hinky ankle might be part of the problem, but I think the real issue is that my knees/hips have never (properly) been worked that way. More air squats might be the answer.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #15
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

I really botched the last post. Replace "press" with "bench". Replace "thruster" with "press".

Quads were sore yesterday and worse today from the squats on Sunday. Going down hills/stairs not a pleasant prospect. I'm really hoping that we aren't doing guard passes where you dig your elbows into your opponent's thighs in BJJ class tonight. I might cry big salty tears.

3/21
Ultimate Frisbee (1hr)

Played better than I did on Friday. Light rain made for a wet (but not sloppy field). Still not tracking the frisbee well.

3/22
Afternoon:
Run WOD 47:53
Ran past milemarker to the park (mid-point), did pull-ups and push-ups for ~4mins. Something like 3 sets of 3 pull-ups, a set of incline (feet up) push-ups and regular pushups. Was going to do burpees but quads were way too sore for that. Should have done a ladder or something more organized for the pull-ups/push-ups. Bah. Next time.

Evening:
BJJ (1.5hrs)
Old 03-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #16
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

3/23
W/U
8 min run (10min/mile)
6 pullups (PR)
10x 45lb bench
10x 65lb bench
10x 20lb kb swing
5x 95lb bench
10x air squats
5x 25lb zercher squat

WOD
5 rounds
5x 95lb bench
10x 20lb kb swing
10x 30lb press
10x 25lb zercher squat

Completed in ~13min

Cooldown:
More pullups, dips (unassisted and assisted), 3x 105lb bench, attempted knee-to-elbow on pullup bar.

Finally figured out that the unmarked kb that I've been using at the gym is 20lb instead of 15lb. Nice! Good workout, but adding the presses really got the shoulders and upper arms smoked. Wanted to go for more bench strength work but arms said...no.

Squats still so-so...still haven't spent time on improving my form. Meh.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:51 PM   #17
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

I've had one rest day in the past week (3/25). Otherwise have had a steady regimen of frisbee, tennis and jiu-jitsu.

3/31
Afternoon:

WOD - Flags-n-Abz
5 Rounds
10x squats
Stairs (two at a time)
10x burpees

Completed in 15:11

Cooldown
5 pullups
20 situps
3 pullups
20 flutter-kicks (two count)
3 pullups
20 good mornings
3 pullups
20 double-leg lift + good morning
3 pullups

Got to 20 total pullups in the cooldown which was pretty cool.

The wod really worked the muscles between the hips and legs. Flexors? In hindsight, it probably doesn't make a lot of sense to do squats, stairs and burpees (all of which work that same muscle group to some extent). I wanted to take it relatively easy today since the BJJ class tonight might be intense (i.e. lots of rolling at the end). I also made the mistake of not warming up my flexors (or whatever they are). Just did a short jog to the park and then went up and down the stairs once. D'oh!

During my cooldown, a guy came over and commented on using a tree branch for pullups. He said he had been looking for a place to do pullups but wasn't having much luck. There are tons of trees in the park and many of them have good-sized branches for pullups. Can't wait until my rings come in so that I can attach those and try some muscle-ups! Should be here today or tomorrow.

Evening:
BJJ
Old 04-01-2011, 10:55 AM   #18
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Needless to say, the hip flexors are a little sore today. BJJ wasn't as intense as I thought it was going to be. Sadness.

April Goals
Skill:
-Attempt HSPU or at least try some static holds
-Get familiar with the rings that came in the mail yesterday
-50 SU and try DUs with new rope that also arrived yesterday
-Improve squat form
-Learn turkish get-ups
-Learn DL

Strength:
-Bench 5x 110lb; 1RM 115lb
-Press 10x 40lb
-Pullups 10x (consecutive deadhang chin-ups)
-Dips 10x

WOD:
-Fran (scaled)
-Annie (scaled)
-Cindy
-Griff
-Operator Ugly (might have to scale female version)

Other:
-Do well in BJJ competition later this month. Don't spaz!
-Do well in tennis. This means I actually have to get on the court and practice.
-Sprint and jump for the frisbee. Most of this is a mental block for me now.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #19
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

4/3
W/U
1000m row 4:48
7 pullups (PR)
10x 45lb bench
10x 65lb bench
10x 20lb kb swing
5x 95lb bench
10x 30lb press

WOD
5 Rounds:
5x 95lb bench
10x 20lb kb swing
10x 30lb press
10x squat

Completed in 13:11 Felt ok, killer on the shoulders. Didn't weight the squats b/c I wanted to focus on form. I actually think I'm making improvement. Going to have some help with it late next week.

Cooldown
4 pullups
4x 105lb bench
2x 115lb bench
2x 115lb bench
4 pullups
4 KTE

Went for max bench at 115lb with a spotter. Was happy to hit 115lb. Need to hit the weights more frequently to keep making gains. Riiiiiiight.

Last edited by Vickie Ellickson : 04-03-2011 at 07:00 PM. Reason: date fail
Old 04-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #20
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

4/4
~40min Run & BJJ

4/5
Frisbee

4/6
Rest Day

4/7
O.M.G.

Learned how to back squat today. Just did the bar to ensure my form was right. My friend B. helped me. Wow. I was having a hard time getting low enough, so he put a couple of 2.5lb weights under my heels which really helped. After I did a couple of sets we took the weights away and it was easier. Need to keep chest tight and up. Need to go down slooow and then drive up. Chest should be relatively up and tight. Get the bar lower on the back instead of up on the neck to help keep from rolling forward. Probably did 4-5 sets of 10+. The good thing about squats is that on the reps where he said my form was good, it also *felt* good. So hopefully I'll be able to try it on my own have a decent sense of good form vs. poor form.

Also learned deadlifts. Was a bit of a pain to get it up since I was just using the bar with no plates on the end. Never deadlifted before. Double wow. Did not feel as comfortable with these as I did with the squats. I'll give these a try on my own, but suspect I will need more coaching soon. Get into natural foot position, although feet should probably be closer together than on my squat. Keep the arms perpendicular to the floor and drive up with the hips. I had a hard time not rolling my back and not trying to push the bar out instead of letting my arms hang straight down. I think part of my discomfort with the deadlift is that my legs were already fried from the squat.

After that, we did some abducter/adducter work, and then I knocked out 10 pullups b/c I had to prove that I wasn't a total disaster physically. Also did some wide bar pullups (3 or 4) which I wasn't even sure I could do.

All in all a great session and I'm excited to learn how to do some lifts!

Will try to do a flight of stairs a couple of times today to keep the muscles loose. Have a tennis match on Saturday and if I don't get my legs loose it's going to be a debacle.